Author Topic: Could Senate Democrats abolish the cloture rules, then reinstate them if they lo  (Read 429 times)

Offline Mary Ann

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215497175
gratuitous (74,336 posts)

Could Senate Democrats abolish the cloture rules, then reinstate them if they lose in 2022?

Crazy talk, I know.
Silly DUmmie. Yeah, sure, the Rs would fall for that.  :whatever:
bucolic_frolic (24,651 posts)

2. Democrats need to call out Mitch's 2016 personal filibuster of Merrick Garland nomination

That stonewalling was a snuffing of rules, tradition, precedent. It worked like Mitch's own personal filibuster. So why let Repukes do it again? They've abused the system. Make them pay.
That seat wasn't "stolen," and it wasn't a "personal filibuster," or any other nefarious thing. Simply put, McConnell outplayed Obama. This is the sequence of events:

Obama won in 2008.
Top Rs went to Obama to discuss the stimulus, or healthcare, or whatever
Obama told them "Elections have consequences; I won."
The Ds shoved Obamacare down our throats, in complete defiance of the Will of the People
The Ds lost the House in 2010
The Ds lost the Senate in 2014
Obama said he didn't care because he had a pen and a phone
Scalia died
McConnell gave Obama a well-deserved lesson in "elections have consequences," and it turns out the Constitution trumps a pen and a phone

Personally, I think McConnell should have made sure that every R in the Senate was on board with blocking the nomination, then given Garland a hearing, and voted him down on a party line vote, after dragging him (and his family) through the mud for weeks on end. After all, there must have been something in his high school yearbook.
FBaggins T(21,776 posts)

3. Of course not

The minority had no leverage once minority protections are killed.

“Rules for me and not for thee” is also a lousy way to get voters to support you.
Frodo has shown some sanity lately. Wonder what's up with that?

Offline SVPete

... Frodo has shown some sanity lately. Wonder what's up with that?

I will neither confirm nor deny that Frodo is my mole, :-) .

Is he the Frodo who has a coffee truck in the "Brokenwood Mysteries"? :-)
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Always looking for a way to circumvent the rules so they can lord it over those they oppose.

This is probably a good time to mention there are likely other Dem senators who don’t want to do away with the filibuster and are more than happy to just stay quiet about it and let the WV and AZ senators take the arrows. But behind closed doors, they know it’s more than just those two.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DLR Pyro

gratuitous (74,336 posts)

Could Senate Democrats abolish the cloture rules, then reinstate them if they lose in 2022?

They are getting more and more open about breaking the rules just so they can have it their way all the time, regardless of whether they hold the majority or not. 

Yesterday there was that thread where a DUmmy asked if there was a way for all democrat senators to give money to Manchin and Sinema to buy their votes, now they blatantly say they want to change the rules now, then change them back when they are in the minority to suit their needs.

Their desperate schemes to get their way all the time shows they have no respect or concept of how democracy works.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Happy Fun Ball

Frodo has shown some sanity lately. Wonder what's up with that?
I guess The Ring DU hasn't quite corrupted him yet.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

They are getting more and more open about breaking the rules just so they can have it their way all the time, regardless of whether they hold the majority or not. 

Yesterday there was that thread where a DUmmy asked if there was a way for all democrat senators to give money to Manchin and Sinema to buy their votes, now they blatantly say they want to change the rules now, then change them back when they are in the minority to suit their needs.

Their desperate schemes to get their way all the time shows they have no respect or concept of how democracy works.

When your way is the right way, all means are justified.  When you have no moral compass, no means are off the table.  Put those together, and you get proggies and moonbats moving goalposts, changing rules, breaking rules, all in the name of what they consider what needs to be done.  If social justice and the greater good are served, then it is all worth wiping your butt with silly inconveniences like the Constitution, the law, common sense.   ::)
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.