Author Topic: Three Contractors - Three Wildly Different Estimates and a Trump Bumper Sticker  (Read 635 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215536844

MineralMan
Three Contractors - Three Wildly Different Estimates and a Trump Bumper Sticker

for the same re-roofing job on the house we'll be selling. It was interesting, and demonstrates why you need to get multiple estimates.

All three contractors have solid 5-star review ratings. All have A+ BBB ratings and were recommended by HomeAdvisor.

Between the lowest and highest bid, with the exact same materials and services provided, there was about a $4000 difference for the basic re-roofing, which shocked me a little.

The third contractor to provide an estimate had the highest bid AND a Trump bumper sticker on his truck. He also left the back yard gate open after checking the roof on that side. Fortunately our dogs did not go out the doggy door into the back yard while he was here. He also could not promise me a completion date by the end of July.

I liked the first contractor, but his bid was considerably higher than the second one who came by an hour later.

The second contractor got the job. Same exact materials, same exact services, but lower basic price and lower pricing if additional work is needed, which is always possible on an older house. I got a solid promise that the job would be done in my time frame, too.

Interestingly enough, yesterday I told my wife what I thought the price range would be for the basics and worst case scenario. The contractor I'm hiring gave me an estimate that was almost exactly my guesstimate.

What does this have to do with politics? Well, the guy with the Trump bumper sticker also had the highest bid of the three. He even tried to get me to tell him what the other contractors bid on the job. "Sorry," I said. "I'll keep that to myself, actually." I didn't tell him that his bumper sticker disqualified him from the very beginning. Why do people do that crap, and then provide an overpriced bid? Thanks, Donald! Your clones are everywhere.

So basically you let him do the work to provide the bid and didn’t compensate him for his time even though you knew up front you wouldn’t use him?  What an asshole.

Or perhaps you still would have used him if he was cheap enough. You’re despicable.

Blue Owl
1. I wish some of these tRump-loving contractors would get hired by tRump himself
Then they could find out first-hand, when they never get compensated for their time and materials, who the REAL Donald tRump is...

Uh, did you read the post?  THAT is what he DID!  Time is money, but I don’t expect you morons to equate the two. All of you, if you work, are nothing but hourly wage mentality and will never understand self employment, commission, or salary type jobs.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline 67 Rover

Most likely the President Trump contractor hired and employs American citizens.  The other two employ illegal aliens that could not care less about you or your property therefore get to charge much less.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 05:52:45 PM by 67 Rover »
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
 :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

^^^not a jumping frog.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

1. What are the odds that in 6-9 months MM will be complaining about the poor quality of the roofing job?

2. IF it really happened, the dude with the high bid probably submitted a I-really-don’t-want-the-job-but-if-you-pay-me-enough bid. Maybe he saw signs that MM is the kind of Prog who is a PITA.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
IF it really happened, the dude with the high bid probably submitted a I-really-don’t-want-the-job-but-if-you-pay-me-enough bid. Maybe he saw signs that MM is the kind of Prog who is a PITA.

Uh huh.  I've seen that phenomenon many times.

If someone has bad feelings about taking a job, they'll bid unrealistically high so that they don't get it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Uh huh.  I've seen that phenomenon many times.

If someone has bad feelings about taking a job, they'll bid unrealistically high so that they don't get it.

Yes sir.  Been there and done that as the saying goes.  I'd rather not get a job than have some whiny "Karen" such as RockHead piss and moan about every nitpicky aspect of the job which I have expertise in.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
1. What are the odds that in 6-9 months MM will be complaining about the poor quality of the roofing job?

2. IF it really happened, the dude with the high bid probably submitted a I-really-don’t-want-the-job-but-if-you-pay-me-enough bid. Maybe he saw signs that MM is the kind of Prog who is a PITA.

Odds are low HE’LL be complaining. Remember, MM just inherited a bunch of money. So much money he can pay cash for a new home and not sell the one he’s living in.

Of COURSE he’s taking lowest bid. He doesn’t care about quality, only that he can brag that he paid CASH to put a new roof on, and let the buyer beware.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Drafe Hoblin

A signed-and-dated written estimate is recognized in a Court of Law.  A 'solid promise' very probably won't be. 

But hey... It's MM stretching the truth-fabric anyway, I bet.  -No Angie's List, no awareness that political bumper-stickers on company-vehicles is un-businesslike.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Sounds like bumpersticker man dodged a bullet.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
A signed-and-dated written estimate is recognized in a Court of Law.  A 'solid promise' very probably won't be. 

But hey... It's MM stretching the truth-fabric anyway, I bet.  -No Angie's List, no awareness that political bumper-stickers on company-vehicles is un-businesslike.

Stretching the truth like Michael Moore's sweatpants.

Rock Head is a serial exaggerator and poser.  Still looking for DUmp street cred akin to Omaha Steve.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Old n Grumpy

That is known as the "Asshole Tax"  :lmao: :lmao: :-) :-) :rotf: :rotf:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Muddling 2

I have to wonder if MM decided to grace a "coloured fella" with his business.

:-)
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline ChuckJ

The high bid was probably to do the job correctly. The DUmmie decided to go with the much cheaper “just half-Ass it and make it look like it’s been done” price.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe