Author Topic: I must share and express my white guilt and Virtue signal at the same time!  (Read 744 times)

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215486970
JoeOtterbein (5,913 posts)

My Ancestral "Heritage" is as Ugly as Hell

I've thought long and hard about making this post, one day. Today, is the "day".

One of the downsides to knowing more about our ancestors from DNA, is finding out how horrible some of them really were.

In my case, I found out that one of my direct blood-lines owned slaves.

As horrible as that sounds, there is much more worse.

The slave-owner (my ancestor) had a child by raping one of his slaves.

In his will he left both, the woman he raped and his very own daughter, to his estate.

I'm so ashamed by it, sometimes I break down in tears when I think about him and the evil done to a woman and her little girl so many years ago, I would gladly pay a tax to pay what ever I can to their descendants.

Other than that, I'm still at a lost for words for my/our white original sin.

Silent3 (10,900 posts)

1. I am capable of realizing that I financially and culturally benefit in the here and now...

...from some of the evils of the past, and I don't at all mind the idea of some form of reparations based on that.

But I don't feel any burden of personal guilt at all for anything any ancestor of mine did, and I don't think anyone else should either. We aren't born guilty of our parents' sins.
Reply to this post
Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink
CaliforniaPeggy (137,327 posts)

3. There is absolutely no way that you could be held responsible for what your ancestor did.

He is responsible, and he has paid the price for having done it.

I understand your feelings and it's understandable that you, a man of conscience, should feel this way.

Reply to this post
Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink[\quote]

Response to CaliforniaPeggy (Reply #3)Wed Jun 2, 2021, 12:09 AM
Star Member JoeOtterbein (5,913 posts)

5. I don't feel responsible,...

...I feel ashamed.
]
I think probably everyone on Earth has some ancestors who were monsters.

I'm 1/4 Norwegian, so I know I've got some awful shit in my ancestral past.

I don't think we do ourselves any favors by taking on the mantel of guilt for things that were done long before we were born.

JMHO.

JoeOtterbein (5,913 posts)

6. I don't feel guilt,...

Star Member Crunchy Frog (23,938 posts)

8. Suit yourself.

Star Member GulfCoast66 (11,085 posts)

10. I've know my entire life my ancestors in the south owned slaves. Never felt any shame.

Shame and guilt are emotions I think are reserved for my personal acts.

Not being critical. You found out later in life and it must have shocked you. But not a damned thing you could do about that. You don’t own any of that.

What we can do is make sure the moral crimes of the past don’t continue. And currently they still are continuing. But I’m working to change that.

I had ancestors who fought in the revolutionary war to found this nation. I feel no pride on them. I did not do shit. Can’t see where I should feel differently about my shitty ancestors.
Reply to this post

Response to GulfCoast66 (Reply #10)Wed Jun 2, 2021, 12:25 AM[\quote]

12. I feel we owe...

...reparations to them.

Reply to this post

And there you go..

Star Member NJCher (26,228 posts)

13. definitely

need to achieve economic parity, which would have happened had so much mistreatment not taken place.

Reparations or some program that institutes economic equality will do a world of good.
Reply to this post

Response to JoeOtterbein (Reply #12)Wed Jun 2, 2021, 12:40 AM

17. Well ok. Depending on what that really means I might agree.

But it’s no sense of personal shame or guilt that would make me agree. It’s an idea of general justice. And good economic policy.

How many people in the northeast worked for men who owned slave ships even though they never owned a slave? Should their descendants 7 generations down feel shame because the built or supplied a slave ship?

Slavery was an American thing. Your ancestors were just a cog in the wheel of oppression.

Just me, but you are being pretty dramatic. Most white Americans gained benefits from slavery and Jim Crow and the system we have today.

Just because you now know some of your ancestors owned slaves gives you no reason for extra accountability.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running

3. There is absolutely no way that you could be held responsible for what your ancestor did.

Then what the hell is CRT based on?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
Then what the hell is CRT based on?

Blame Whitey... but it's not your fault whitey, ... it's just your fault for being white

Offline BamaMoose

12. I feel we owe...

...reparations to them.

No, Joe, we don't owe reparations, because the majority of us don't have ancestors that ever had slaves.  My family emigrated to this county between the 1880's and the 1920's.  They were all dirt poor farmers and tradesmen.  They scratched out a better life for their children who took over their farms and learned their trades and gave their kids an even better life.  They didn't gain anything from slavery.  But, Joe, it does sound like you and your family owe reparations to the black community, so tell us when you and all your relatives make amends by collectively selling all of your possessions and draining all of your bank accounts to pay for the shame you all must feel.  I'll be anxiously waiting to hear how much money your family collected to contribute to the cause.

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
No, Joe, we don't owe reparations, because the majority of us don't have ancestors that ever had slaves.  My family emigrated to this county between the 1880's and the 1920's.  They were all dirt poor farmers and tradesmen.  They scratched out a better life for their children who took over their farms and learned their trades and gave their kids an even better life.  They didn't gain anything from slavery.  But, Joe, it does sound like you and your family owe reparations to the black community, so tell us when you and all your relatives make amends by collectively selling all of your possessions and draining all of your bank accounts to pay for the shame you all must feel.  I'll be anxiously waiting to hear how much money your family collected to contribute to the cause.

Now Now... that's expecting the DUmmie to be personally responsible... you know they don't accept that.

It has to be collective guilt ... paid by everyone else.

Offline SVPete

:yawn: Yaaaaawwwwwwwwwwn! :yawn:

I have zero guilt for anything my ancestors did. Z-E-R-O! But even if I wanted to take on some, my Dad's parents came to the US from the Crimean Peninsula area, their ancestors had been there for a few generations, and previous generations had lived in what is now SW Germany. On my Mom's side, one of her grandfathers fought in the US Civil War for a New York outfit and was an immigrant from Germany. My maternal Grandmother grew up in SF until the 1906 earthquake drove her family across the Bay to Berkeley, and her roots seem to have been in Ohio. I don't have much ancestral grist for Proggies' Oppressor Mill.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

I wonder of this public airing of personal grievances was a positive cathartic experience for JoeOtterbein or was he just searching for some DUmp cred...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
It goes back to the proggie/moonbat hive mind collectivism.  Proggies (the ones in power) don't want to have to convince or deal with individuals, they want a lockstep machine that follows their orders.  The moonbats, for all their cries of creativity and individuality, want to be told what to think, and then get praised for parroting that group think. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline FaC

He is responsible, and he has paid the price for having done it.

I understand your feelings and it's understandable that you, a man of conscience, should feel this way.

I wonder if Peggy realizes that she just blew the entire case for reparations clean out of the water...

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
I wonder if Peggy realizes that she just blew the entire case for reparations clean out of the water...

I'm sure it went over her head

Offline 67 Rover

10. I've know my entire life my ancestors in the south owned slaves. Never felt any shame.

So being a democrat is hereditary then?
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline DUmpsterDiver

>CaliforniaPeggy (137,327 posts)   There is absolutely no way that you could be held responsible for what your ancestor did.

So much for watering the aching seed you long for.  Reprobates are not lining up to sow much of anything in your garden of hate. 

Offline landofconfusion80

I'm proud of my ancestry. Grampa did pro bono dr. House visits in price hill(poverty neighborhood of cincinnati) much to consternation of the IRS. He physically tossed the agent out of his office.

Another was a treasurer in Northern ky. He was a republican but was trusted by both parties and had a very long career.

Have some serious marksmen on the other side. Served in every military conflict since the revolution. My boys have fortunately been gifted in the same art and are incredible shots.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

Speaking as someone whose late grandmother was a genealogist who traced my mother's side of the family back over a thousand years, my ancestry is a mixed bag.
On the negative side, one of my distant ancestors was the British King Edward the Longshanks (aka the tyrant who horrifically oppressed the Scottish people and tried to wipe out their entire culture), as I'm descended from one of the illegitimate children he had with one of his mistresses. Oh, and interesting note in that regard: I have a group of friends that I play 'Magic: The Gathering' with, one of whom is apparently related to/ descended from William Wallace.
On the positive side, another of my ancestors was William Bradford, aka the first governor of the Pilgrims' colony at Plymouth. While obviously the main reason why the Plymouth colony survived and thrived through their rough first year or two was through the help of Squanto and his fellow Native- Americans, I believe based on my research that Bradford's awesome leadership came in at a close second in that regard. I'm proud to be descended from him.
Also, not a single one of my ancestors to the best of my knowledge owned slaves, and several of my ancestors fought for the Union in the Civil War, including at least one who survived incarceration in the infamous Confederate POW prison at Andersonville.

Offline Delmar

In my case, I found out that one of my direct blood-lines owned slaves.

The primitive isn't ashamed, he's just bragging to the other primitives that he had a relative who was rich enough to own slaves.

Response to JoeOtterbein (Original post)Wed Jun 2, 2021, 03:08 AM
torius (1,639 posts)
25. I get annoyed by people who can't stop boasting about their rich,

famous, or successful relatives and ancestors. Sometimes it's interesting, but it doesn't have the halo effect they think it does--it makes them look ordinary by comparison (being ordinary is just fine, but if they keep talking about the relatives to make themselves seem better, it backfires). So if you have bad relatives, maybe it can make you a better person. And you have my sympathy about having to have them taking up space in your brain. They are not you and you are not them

I can neither confirm nor deny that torius is my mole.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden