Author Topic: Woman randomly punched on Chinatown sidewalk; attack caught on video  (Read 579 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member Demovictory9 (18,734 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215483717

Woman randomly punched on Chinatown sidewalk; attack caught on video
A random attacker punched a woman on a Chinatown sidewalk, stunning bystanders and a pair of witnesses eating dinner at an outdoor restaurant.

The attacker, who’s in police custody, punched the 55-year-old woman in the head as she walked by him on Bayard St. near Mott St. at about 6:15 p.m.

:popcorn:

Star Member Dan (2,485 posts)

6. Prison time is good for that man.

They are oddly silent about the man's race... I thought everything was about Race, DUmpmonkiez?

Star Member exboyfil (15,829 posts)

8. The man went to Bellevue

My nurse daughter was sucker punched in the chest by one of her patients. We are thankful he didn't hit her in the face. They thought she had a broken sternum for a while.

Some people have both mental problems and are violent. My daughter deals with them on a near daily bases. She has been seriously attacked five times in the three plus years in her job. This while dealing with non-violent patients that also need help.

I really don't know what the solution is. She has had charges filed twice on patients, but even they end up back on her floor.

Star Member Gaugamela (1,256 posts)

12. This may get deleted, but I've watched 4 or 5 of these videos, and in all of them the attackers are either African American or Hispanic.

Mostly African American.

I don’t know if that’s simply what gets distributed, and I’m sure there are white supremacists perpetrating these attacks as well. But it sure doesn’t help the BLM movement, which I totally support. Maybe there are underlying resentments against the Asian community among African Americans, which I could believe, but minority leaders need to talk this stuff down.

If white people were doing these attacks the MSM would play them non-stop, 24/7. on every news show. We'd never hear the end of it...

Star Member Skittles (135,375 posts)

37. I absolutely cannot understand how that causes this behavior seriously, that's ridiculous

39. Look at the half of America that voted for Trump. You underestimate the stupidity and pettiness of a large sector of humanity.

Yeah... it's not Trump voters doing this shit.

Jedi Guy (1,636 posts)

18. "Maybe there are underlying resentments against the Asian community among African Americans"

There are, or at least there were for certain and most likely still are. Going back to the LA Riots in the early 90s, many stores in African-American neighborhoods were owned by Asian-American immigrants (mainly Korean, as I recall). There was a great deal of tension between the two communities. The Korean-American store owners suspected the Black folks of shoplifting and such, and the Black folks felt disrespected and humiliated by the store owners. The killing of Latasha Harlins certainly didn't help matters, nor did the killings of store owners by Black (or suspected Black) assailants.

During the riots, there were several incidents where Korean-American store owners bunkered down in their stores with guns and defended them against rioters/looters. One of those was even televised, I believe, with a crowd of rioters and a group of store owners exchanging gunfire in broad daylight.

Given the widening economic gap between Asian-Americans and African-Americans, I rather doubt that those tensions have abated over the last 30 years. Some of the assaults we're seeing against Asian-Americans by Black assailants are probably rooted in those long-simmering tensions, though to be sure some can certainly be explained by mental illness.

Read that carefully.. the store owners KNEW the blacks were shoplifting, and the blacks are mad about it. The Store Owners PROTECTED their property from looters and rioters and the blacks were mad about it.

:thatsright:

Star Member Dorian Gray (10,991 posts)

53. There are underlying resentments

and racism and a whole slew of problems.

I don't think this is a direct result of that, though.

It's somebody who is targeting a person whom he believes to be weaker than him. An easy hit.

I'm sure there is mental illness and anger and a whole slew of societal and personal ills wrapped up tightly behind this.

But mostly he sees what he perceives to be an easy mark who won't fight back.

Ex Lurker (3,395 posts)

73. "Rooftop Koreans" has become a right wing meme nt

:whatever:

Star Member Yavin4 (32,727 posts)

26. These attacks have nothing to do with race.

Geesh. These are mentally disturbed people doing most of these attacks.

Sympthsical (1,105 posts)

47. Jesus H

I cannot believe I just read that here.

White people? No problem seeing the racism. Anyone else? "Clearly it's all mental illness."

As someone from the Bay Area who has watched these anti-Asian attacks for years - it is not. Not even ****ing close.

Check that privilege.

:???:

So...   it's not mental illness and it is black people mostly doing this?

OR- it's not mental illness and it's white people only doing this?

Try to be clearer...

50. I am African American, and I'm pretty plugged into the discourse in the community.

I've never really heard anyone say that we should organize and beat up random Asian people in the streets. Are there conflicts between Asian merchants and some African American communities? Yes, but that's not a random occurrence like these attacks are.

Most of these attacks have been carried out by people who mentally disturbed and should not be in the streets at all. My guess is that they're being released because of the pandemic.

:lmao:

62. So I hallucinated all the anti-Asian sentiment in the Bay Area - particularly in Oakland

All the anti-Asian graffiti I've seen around, pretty much since the day I moved here? All down to that schizophrenic down the street, I guess.

This guy?

https://abc7news.com/man-arrested-for-threatening-to-kill-asians-asian-threat-bay-area-east-former-gang-member-social-media-posts/10362628/

His racism just fell out of a clear blue sky, right?

I've never heard anyone in my social or family circles saying we should posse up and go attack a bunch of black people, either. Does that mean white racism isn't really all that much a problem?

You hear yourself talking, right?

Do you want to know why my virulently anti-black father was the way he was? He has an explanation. And in his head, it was a really good one. I somehow think you wouldn't like that one so much.

"That's not a random occurrence like these attacks are." See? Asians should really kind of blame themselves, really. You're so close to saying it.

I see you. Very clearly. You're making my point so hard, you're about to break the table your logic is built upon.

63. I do hear myself talking. Do you?

Or is posting incoherent rants what you do?

These attacks are not necessarily related or even a race thing. The actor Rick Moranis got punched in the face walking down the street in NYC, and he's not Asian. There are others that get randomly attacked as well.

69. Then there's this

https://oaklandnewsnow.com/purse-snatchers-attack-asian-grandmother-in-broad-daylight-in-oakland/

And this.

https://abc7news.com/chinatown-push-91-year-old-pushed-to-ground-opd-suspect-oakland-attacks/10322263/

And this.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/it-is-so-sad-attacks-against-asian-elders-continue-in-the-bay-area/2533157/

All mental illness?

It's easy to cast stones at white people. And at least it's pretty universally acknowledged that white people have racist problems within their race.

When it's your own community, here come the deflections, explanations, and failures to acknowledge there's any problem at all.

Living entirely within an Asian family these days (my own family is across the country), I hear all kinds of stories and experiences.

Do those count? Or do you have an explanation for those, too?

If you cannot acknowledge racism in your own community, you don't have much a leg to stand on when lecturing others to acknowledge the racism in their own.

25. This is not some organized attack by the African American community.

These are attacks by mentally disturbed people. And yes, you are being racist by only looking at the race of the perpetrator and assigning blame to an entire race of people simply because they share the same race as the attackers.

:banghead:

30. There is no tension between African Americans and Asians.

At least no more tension than there is with any other combinations of groups. In the same video, right before the attack, there was an African American gentlemen minding his own business and going about his day.

The bigger problem is that there are a lot of mentally disturbed people in New York city right now. The city has an abandoned feel to it, and these attackers are taking advantage of it.

Star Member MerryBlooms (10,114 posts)

33. I'm seeing these videos daily now, and the common theme is Men attacking females.

Females of all ages being attacked on the streets. I saw a video of a man punching out a little 9 y/o girl while she was walking home from school. Both assailant and victim were white. Seems to have become a popular thing with some males. I'm wondering if there's some sort of 'challenge', like with the Tide Pods and other such crap. I'm not buying the excuse all these assholes are mentally ill. Bullshit.

Star Member AZLD4Candidate (570 posts)

41. Some Black Hebrew Israelites consider Asians as enemies

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, the group lists among its enemies white people, "who they preach are descended from a race of red, hairy beings, known as Edomites, who were spawned by Esau, the twin brother of Jacob" (later known as Israel) in the Old Testament.

"Equally hated" are "fraudulent" Jews (i.e., the people known to the world today as Jews), "the synagogue of Satan," Asians, promiscuous black women, abortionists, continental Africans (who, according to the Church and other extremist Israelites, "sold the lost tribes of Israel, who were black, to European slave traders", and gay people, who "according to extremist Israelites should all be put to death".
emphasis mine

My (former) producer in Hollywood is a proud Black Hebrew Israelite who called me a "fake Jew" every chance he got.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israelite_Church_of_God_in_Jesus_Christ#Perceived_enemies

Star Member AZLD4Candidate (570 posts)

68. He actually challenged me to a fistfight, to which I got on my knees, threw my arms out

and all put dared him to take the first shot. He backed down, then kicked me off his IMDB and threatened to tell my wife lies that I was cheating on her behind her back in LA.

My screenplays are still on the company's website, as is my profile as a "Writer."

We haven't spoken since February of 2020.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Ex Lurker (3,395 posts)

20. Trump's America NT

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline freedumb2003b

Re: Woman randomly punched on Chinatown sidewalk; attack caught on video
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 12:48:14 PM »

33. I'm seeing these videos daily now, and the common theme is Men attacking females.

Females of all ages being attacked on the streets. I saw a video of a man punching out a little 9 y/o girl while she was walking home from school. Both assailant and victim were white. Seems to have become a popular thing with some males. I'm wondering if there's some sort of 'challenge', like with the Tide Pods and other such crap. I'm not buying the excuse all these assholes are mentally ill. Bullshit.

You got the theme HALF right.  There is a very pronounced trend of the men.  Do you DARE say it?  They almost ALL are... c'mon, say it.... starts with a b...
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 12:48:26 PM »
Ice Cube-Black Korea 1991

Various groups of African Americans have disliked Asian Americans for a long time.  Nothing new.

Ex Lurker (3,395 posts)

73. "Rooftop Koreans" has become a right wing meme nt

I like memes, especially conservative ones.  Haven't come across this one.

Ex Lurker (3,395 posts)

20. Trump's America NT

learn some history, moonbat, this is nothing new.  Just cause you started paying attention and want to blame BadOrangeMan for everything. 

Sympthsical have a pizza in the oven yet?  More wavering from the hive mind.

Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 01:21:00 PM »

26. These attacks have nothing to do with race.

Geesh. These are mentally disturbed people doing most of these attacks.

The "knockout game" was popular a few years ago. Young black men would walk up behind white people, usually frail and elderly would cowardly attack them from behind. Jews have also been a target. This isn't mental illness, it's a symptom of a sick, thuggish culture and Democrats defend and encourage it.

Rick Moranis was assaulted a couple of years ago in NYC.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 01:22:43 PM »
Quote from:
Yavin4

50. I am African American

Pretty sure this primitive a/k/a James Ruymen is a fat white guy.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 01:26:20 PM »

Females of all ages being attacked on the streets. ...

Actually:

* A very disproportionate percentage of attackers are black;

* A significant percentage of black attackers are female;

* A significant percentage of attacked Asians are male;

* A very large percentage of attacked Asians are older, age 60 and above.

Anti-Asian (and Pacific Islander) hatred among blacks goes back decades, into the 80s at the least, long before Trump became President. That Asians tend to achieve economic success - envy - is probably part of the foundation of the hatred, but I think most of that foundation is simply a culture of, "Us blacks vs. any them not black". A century ago (not a precise date) in some parts of the country that us vs. them was reasonable.

In other parts of the country ... an IRL example would be my original home town that a century ago (when my parents were growing up) was not segregated, and whites, blacks, Hispanics, and East Asians were all "us". Neither my parents nor I attended segregated schools, and my parents did business and socialized with whomever. As have and do I, my wife, and our adult kids.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 01:28:42 PM »
Sympthsical

48. In this thread - justifying and explaining away racist violence

Just wow. I'd say I'm surprised, but I'm not. I knew people didn't care about anti-Asian violence for years. When people say BIPOC or PoC, they never mean Asians for some reason.

Next time anyone asks why I say that, I'll just link on over to this thread.

Just went to a family birthday party yesterday. 22 Asians and me. 9 young nieces and nephews. Four elderly grandparents.

I worry about them every single day. But in this thread, "Well, you know, there's a history, so . . ."

I cannot believe some people are this cognitively dissonant.

Please don't reply to me if you're flexing your fingers to start in on the justifications again. I don't come here for the racism. Especially not against my family

:popcorn:

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 01:31:19 PM »
LexVegas

75. You know, some of us Asian Americans are noticing a common theme in these videos

and also the silence around that common theme.

Another DUmmie gonna make the black DUMMIES mad

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 01:52:50 PM »
Yavin4 (32,727 posts)

25. This is not some organized attack by the African American community.

These are attacks by mentally disturbed people. And yes, you are being racist by only looking at the race of the perpetrator and assigning blame to an entire race of people simply because they share the same race as the attackers.

Microaggressions, rape culture, white privilege, etc. are all predicated on the motivator being passive, not active.

Guzzle your own medicine, lefty.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 02:23:09 PM »
Sympthsical

48. In this thread - justifying and explaining away racist violence

Just wow. I'd say I'm surprised, but I'm not. I knew people didn't care about anti-Asian violence for years. When people say BIPOC or PoC, they never mean Asians for some reason.

Next time anyone asks why I say that, I'll just link on over to this thread.

LexVegas

75. You know, some of us Asian Americans are noticing a common theme in these videos

and also the silence around that common theme.

These Asian DU-member are just discovering that among Ds and Progs, East and South Asians are, at most, second-class POCs? I'm sorry, but ::)  ::)  ::) !
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 05:12:51 PM »

12. This may get deleted, but I've watched 4 or 5 of these videos, and in all of them the attackers are either African American or Hispanic.

Mostly African American.

I don’t know if that’s simply what gets distributed, and I’m sure there are white supremacists perpetrating these attacks as well. But it sure doesn’t help the BLM movement, which I totally support. Maybe there are underlying resentments against the Asian community among African Americans, which I could believe, but minority leaders need to talk this stuff down.

How then is that not racism.  the same kind of racism that you love to accuse all white people of whenever a black person is attacked
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 06:31:29 PM »

I like memes, especially conservative ones.  Haven't come across this one.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 09:47:25 PM »
Response to Demovictory9 (Original post)Mon May 31, 2021, 11:22 PM
Ex Lurker (3,395 posts)
20. Trump's America NT

Lower Manhattan Chinatown, MAGA country!
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline SVPete

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 08:05:23 AM »
In coming months Covid will continue to fade, the country will re-open so that a year from now or three years from now Covid will be a distancing memory, and Trump will still not be President. But the anti-Asian hatred among some blacks won't lessen, and their physical attacks will continue in proportion to their perception that they face little or no punishment for the attacks.

A year or three from now Bogey-Trump will still be DUmmies' go-to whipping boy, but it will grow more strained and ridiculous, and DUmmies will start looking for someone new to blame. After 8 years of Obama, blaming Bush and Reagan was getting so ridiculous that if Bogey-Trump hadn't come along DUmmies would have invented him.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 08:38:57 AM »
Lower Manhattan Chinatown, MAGA country!
DU logic:

Anti-Asian violence=Bad.

Trump=Bad.

Therefore, anti-Asian violence=Trump. Are you not convinced?  :-)

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.