Author Topic: Just want to clear something up about the recent spate of mass shootings  (Read 334 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member EarlG (18,555 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215467521

Just want to clear something up about the recent spate of mass shootings
Have you noticed how all these shootings have started up again since Covid restrictions have been lifted? Must be a sign that we're "getting back to normal," right?

You'd certainly be forgiven for thinking that there's been a huge, sudden jump in gun violence after a quiet year while everyone was in lockdown.

Sadly, the truth is the opposite. Here's an article from Time Magazine on December 30, 2020:

2020 Ends as One of America's Most Violent Years in Decades

This year, many Americans have experienced significantly higher levels of violence both wrought on and within their communities. Gun violence and gun crime has, in particular, risen drastically, with over 19,000 people killed in shootings and firearm-related incidents in 2020. That’s the highest death toll in over 20 years, according to data from the Gun Violence Archive (GVA), an online site that collects gun violence data, and the Britannia Group’s non-partisan site procon.org.

This total includes victims of homicides and unintentional deaths but does not include gun suicides. And despite there being no “large-scale” shootings in 2020, the number of mass shootings—which are classified as an incident in which four or more people are shot and injured or killed—has actually risen, drastically, to over 600, the most in the past 5 years and a nearly 50% increase in 2019’s total.
Link

Yup, mass shootings were actually up 50% in 2020 over 2019, not that you'd know it.

I think this can be explained mostly by a few obvious factors which dominated the news in 2020: a) Covid, b) The presidential election, and c) Donald Trump's daily attention-seeking behavior.

So yeah, don't be fooled into thinking that 2020 was a quiet year when it came to gun violence, and that things are now suddenly getting worse because people are getting back out there into the world. 2020 was in fact a terrible year for gun violence, it's just that people weren't being informed about it.

:thatsright:

Somehow all those shootings are RWNJs?

:thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

Star Member Hoyt (48,865 posts)

2. It has one advantage -- One can identify those who think their gunz are more important than society.

It used to be the backdoor for white wingers to enter DU, but not so much nowadays.

I think when trump was in office, the gunners didn't feel the need to post their BS here. Now, I suspect they will return in mass.

Although, honestly, I used to think that there were just a few gunners posting under about 100 names.

:whatever:

Star Member world wide wally (20,067 posts)

5. I'm starting to question if the United States is even worth saving.

:bird:

Star Member dsc (50,071 posts)

6. I think that there not having been a big school shooting also leads to that impression

many states had either no kids or many fewer kids in schools. That, of course, led to there not being a huge, publicity attracting mass shooting at a school.

Midnight Writer (11,736 posts)

7. On the Talk Radio yesterday, a host was attacking President Biden for the gun violence.

"We didn't see all these shootings until Biden took office and gave permission to people to use violence when they get mad"

Since the media did not bother to report the facts about 2020 gun violence as it was happening, the Right Wing are able to push the narrative that this is a Biden problem.

:thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

10/10 WTFs...

Lonestarblue (3,976 posts)

13. Also, there's been more chatter about a large increase in crime.

I wonder whether some of that is underreporting in 2020 and some of it is over reporting by police to head off cuts and demands for change in the wake of last year’s protests. Far too many people think it’s better to spend money on police than on trying to prevent identify and ameliorate the root causes of many crimes. Our drug policies have a major impact on crime. We allow big pharma to get people addicted, then send in the cops to bust the drug users. Our 50-year War on Drugs has done nothing but make drug cartels rich.

:whatever:

Star Member multigraincracker (23,325 posts)

11. Just wait until they stop shooting fellow workers and go after management and owners. Might see some reforms.

:censored:

Star Member Biophilic (1,029 posts)

15. I really appreciate this information. Yup, I was one of those who thought we had just gone back to "normal" after opening up. Seemed 'reasonable'. Should have known better. I so appreciate the knock on my brain to let a little reality slip in.

::)
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Reasons? Covid, yes. The other two, no. Idle hands tend to find mischief.

Once again, Lord Marblehead reaches wrong conclusions.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline thundley4

The MSM ignores most black on black shootings until it comes time to use them as fodder in total gun deaths when Democrats want to push for gun confiscation.