Author Topic: Not digging 40% maskholes in an NC Costco. Costco was sooo good about the requir  (Read 754 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215465176

JanMichael (22,917 posts)

Not digging 40% maskholes in an NC Costco. Costco was sooo good about the requirement.

So I go in around 2pm today and expected being that it was Costco that most people would have a mask. They have a been a go-to since March 2020 for shopping safely. Overall they were the best mask rule enforcing shopping public space where I lived.

But since the NC Gov. Roy Cooper (who I like) put out new mask guidelines last week all hell has broke loose.

Let me back-up...I am fully vaccinated but NC is barely "ok" in percent fully vaccinated adults at 48%. So a sliver over 50% of the adult population is not fully vaccinated so we shrink our mask rules. The mask rules that NC did early I think really kept down COVID spread even in our numbskull conservative fly over counties. NCDHHS did a wonderful job under heavy fire from our crazies.

Then I went into a Harris Teeter and only two or three maskholes tops. Harris Teeter has not modified their mask rule to the new rules that excluded restaurants and grocery type stores (leaving homeless shelters, schools and hospitals and Jack in the Box requiring masks).

I get home and look up Costco's policy. Basically in states, like NC, that do not require masks for people in retail like Costco. But it also says this:

"Face coverings will still be required in some close contact situations in healthcare settings, including Pharmacy, Optical, Hearing Aid."

Funny. The Costco pharmacy tech was maskless as was the hearing aid person. People hanging around those spaces 50/50 maskless.

What I noticed with the maskless customers...smug. They looked smug. They were also mostly looking Type 2, sickly, and 99% middle aged (not over 65) white. Also,and this is mean, but we'd all be better off if they kept masks up due to the Rickety Cricket looks on their faces. Blech.

I wonder what percent were fully vaccinated. 50%? 0%? 90%? I would guess lower because they all looked like they thought they were in a le Carre spy novel like Smiley's People. The main characters.

Is this the high point, the acme, or their existence? Walking into a Costco like the Cold War was still a thing? There is no more in life for them. For today they are powerful Gods cruising through the aisles unaccosted with the air flowing through their noses and permed hair...owning the Libs. Tomorrow too maybe. But eventually this will all end.

Gawd I can't stand them.

Uh, those are your people.  Smugness is your side.  How do you know they weren't all being smug because they got the vaccination? 

These people amaze me with their assumptions.

TraceNC (122 posts)

1. Same experience at Costco. And I won't be

going back. Two other grocery stores near me are doing a good job holding up their mask policy. And now that there’s a Lowe’s Foods with gas prices competitive with Costco, I don’t think I’ll be back. My membership is up in June and likely won’t renew.

One of the greeters at my local Costco is an old man who wore a plastic shield and no mask (absolutely worthless) through the entire pandemic. He was out there gleefully announcing that if you’re vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask. So I asked him if they were checking vaccine cards. He said no. I said then Costco is a fool for using the honor system, especially considering where we live. (Red state ranked near bottom of vax rate.)

Anyway, disappointed but plenty of options to take advantage of.

JT45242 (603 posts)

4. Similar at Costco in Iowa City

Governor Covid Kimmy screams and Costco goes mask optional.

Did not feel safe with the number of people in the store with no masks.

Will limit my treks to costco to weird hours to avoid large crowds of maskless covidiots most of whom I am certain are not vaccinated.

luvs2sing (1,455 posts)

5. Here in Columbus, most of the stores..

have ditched the mask requirement. I was out this morning early to the four stores I regularly shop at. At Fresh Thyme, one vendor was unmasked and all store employees and customers were masked. At the other three stores, Kroger, Walmart, and Giant Eagle, I saw maybe two customers unmasked at each store. But I would estimate 75% of the employees were unmasked, which is consistent with my experience throughout the pandemic.

We haven’t made a Costco run lately, but when we were there a couple months ago, people were running around the store without masks. I dread going to Costco during the best of times. This just made it worse. Same with Trader Joe’s.

With all these 'maskholes' these folks see and complain about, I wonder why none of them question why half the US population isn't dead?

madville (5,312 posts)

6. It's nice to be mostly back to normal in my area

Participated in a new employee group orientation today with about 20 people and a catered lunch, went to a shoe store after work and then a Publix grocery store. No one voluntarily wearing masks at work event (Policy just rapidly changed, no more masks required, no more screening questions, no more weekly rapid tests) or the shoe store, Publix was about 50/50 and they have removed any signage about distancing or masks that I could see.

I'm vaccinated and trust the science and experts that I'm relatively safe and even if I had an asymptomatic case it would be very unlikely I would be contagious to others. At this point any adult that wants to get vaccinated could have it done by now and 17 and under are at almost no risk even if they get COVID. At this point any unvaccinated adults have voluntarily decided to accept the risk.

Someone who's paying attention?

madville (5,312 posts)

14. For many the mask has become a comfort object (aka security blanket)

Like if someone is masked walking alone in a park 100s of yards from any other person or driving in their car alone. It makes them feel safer even if there is no real threat, it will take years for those that have developed a psychological attachment to move beyond it.

17. Not for me. My issue is how everybody is an expert on COVID and Variants now.

We are really just 4 months into mass vaccinations. And I never wore a mask jogging during the height of January/February or April last year. I had one in my hand in case I ran into a crowd at a crosswalk.

What we know is that masks alone then plus vacs works. The spread is dampened. We do not know how long, or how well against variants that we don't yet know about, about how well and how long, against what variations, natural immunity lasts. There are initial reports that contradict each other or are limited studies. Or what impact the rest of the world wil have on us once international travel gets really rolling.

I just wish we could just cool our jets and keep masking in public places. Or at least a lot of those CV sniffin mutts.

JanMichael wants to wear his/her mask FOREVER!!!

dawg day (7,535 posts)

10. You're right-- they've chosen not to get the shot.

I know there are people who can't get it -- I have two friends who are undergoing immune therapy and have to wait. One's a Trumper and seems glad she doesn't get a shot, and I told her that it's me and everyone else getting vaxxed that will protect her from all the Trumpers who don't mind killing her.

And I know there are some people who haven't yet been able to get a shot because of distance or availability... but now it's in a lot of CVSs, so if they want it, they can get it.

The rest-- well, I wish they'd change their mind, but if not, well, they can infect each other. I would rather have this wiped out like smallpox, but if they're going to insist on being reckless, I think the rest of us are just going to have to give up on them.

As for the efficacy of masks for other reasons-
US
Last flu season: 39 million cases.
This flu season: 2,124 cases.

Every post I read over at the DUmp concerning the flu all I heard was "The  CDC doesn't TRACK the flu, you moron!!"  Now they want to use the numbers ... without question?  LOL

cinematicdiversions (534 posts)

12. Why would it matter to you whether people were wearing masks or not?

If you are vaccinated it shouldn't make that much a difference.

Attacking people in North Carolina for being obese seems a bit over the top as well.

15. Why would it matter? Personal reasons, thanks.

Also, on top of non-private reasons, if you saw what I saw with the demeanor and the behavior of the maskless people you might feel the same. We have a high number of extreme Trumpadistas here in a fairly Dem area. I bet the maskless were 90% conservative/kkk/nazi/rotarian. 10% must be like some of the folks on this thread and Dems or the lumpin proletariat.

Being mean to people, in a specific indoor place in NC, yes. People in NC? Not quite.

JanMichael should just come out and say "because I thought I had some POWER before and the damn governor took that away from me and now I'm just a flea again!"

Maru Kitteh (24,528 posts)

23. Personal reasons? You made a stink out of it on a public message board.

I am a registered nurse. I was vaccinated in Tier 1A, helped organize and then administer vaccinations to hundreds of my patients and employees. I've made the phone calls to inform a family member their loved one has Covid. I've held the hands of terrified and desperately ill patients not allowed to see anyone else. I've fielded phone calls from asshole family members who basically accused me of trying to kill their father because I was part of "them" and wanted to hurt "President Trump."

I don't have time to tell you all I've been through. The buising, bleeding, exhaustion, the pain. The crying.

I also hold an advanced degree and have the capacity to study the maths involved here. I wear a mask where it is still required. I keep a mask in my pocket and put it on in every single store/location that asks me to. I put it on if I find myself in close conversation, indoors, with a person who is wearing a mask in order to be polite. Other than that - outside of work I will no longer be wearing a mask. The data do not support it and I have logged enough hours in hell thank you very much. I've no reason to create another meaningless hell for myself worrying about the mask habits of others.

I've been walking over the hot coals of Covid for over a year. I have nothing but heartfelt compassion and understanding for those who want to continue wearing masks themselves. I am your advocate. By god I will put my own body in between you and anyone who seeks to harm you just because you want to wear your mask and I will take the consequences.

But I'm following the science. I'm following the CDC. I'm following the law and the guidelines. I'm following the data. I'm vaccinated. I'm not wearing a mask.

OUCH!  :lmao:

Thtwudbeme (6,607 posts)

25. DU was built as a website for people to "make a stink."

I hope you don't end up one of the 5% that has a breakthrough infection because you had to choose your 2% cottage cheese between a few people with Covid that were searching for the yogurt.

Please don't patronize with your "I have an advanced degree and follow the science." I do too. I have had both shots, and you better believe I have a mask on in public.

albacore (1,064 posts)

37. Was at Costco in Western Washington state today..

Both my wife and I had our Covid shot cards on lanyards around our necks.... and masks on.
Store policy is: If you have been vaccinated, you can go maskless, and you do not have to prove you have been vaccinated.
We were there during the old-folks hour before regular opening, and I believe that 90% were wearing masks. Since our county has a high percentage of vaccinated, I would guess that the old folks were vaccinated, but wore the mask anyway.
Better to be safe... for everybody.
Wearing a mask isn't exactly wearing the brand of slavery, like MTG and the other idiots say.

Tree Lady (9,022 posts)

39. We went to Costco Southern Oregon

Few days ago, about 80% still wore masks. I heard they were taking peoples word on if they were vaccinated. I think Costco was tired of policing the issue and my state is putting it square on the shoulders of businesses. Actually Costco was not doing what my state says which is ask for proof or keep mask rule.

I told an employee I was not happy they were just trusting the untrustworthy. Few minutes later a woman masked walked up to me and said she felt same way.

I don't blame Costco though state shouldn't expect businesses to be police. The law before gave them cover.

I definitely would not bring my kids out in public now if they aren't vaccinated.

Just who DO you think should be making sure everyone is being compliant they way YOU think they should?  People want to know.  I'm people.

Volaris (8,848 posts)

43. If you got your shots, try not to worry too much about them.

Honestly, yes they're assholes. Darwin will deal with them in due course.
The REAL FUN will begin when the FDA lifts the emergency use order, and authorizes the vaccine for regular-use, and their employers will start requiring shots to get or keep jobs.

Ooooh! Won't that be the day?!  Fascist.

KC

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

If that local Costco doesn't require or won't enforce masks, too damn bad. :loser: And why does DU-Moron JanMichael care? :thatsright: Doesn't he believe the vaccination he received is effective? :thatsright:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

One of the greeters at my local Costco is an old man who wore a plastic shield and no mask (absolutely worthless) through the entire pandemic.

And yet with how you insist the plastic face shield with no mask is absolutely worthless,  this old man was thete throughout the pandemic without catching the chi-vi

You DUmnphucks who are afraid of your own shadow should stay home hiding under your bed with 2 masks on and let the rest of us get back to normal life. 

I'm fed up with you using your fears to force us to wear worthless submission masks,  or drive certain cars or take public transportation because you're afraid climate change will kill us all in 12 years.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Old n Grumpy

Just STAY HOME!!!
 :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
And yet with how you insist the plastic face shield with no mask is absolutely worthless,  this old man was thete throughout the pandemic without catching the chi-vi

You DUmnphucks who are afraid of your own shadow should stay home hiding under your bed with 2 masks on and let the rest of us get back to normal life. 

I'm fed up with you using your fears to force us to wear worthless submission masks,  or drive certain cars or take public transportation because you're afraid climate change will kill us all in 12 years.

Isn't that down to like 9 or 10 years now?  LOL

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Old n Grumpy

I went to wally world yesterday and maybe 20% of the people there were wearing a mask. I hate to say it but they looked pathetic. I almost wanted to ask some of them if they felt foolish. It is so nice to go out and see peoples faces again.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

Isn't that down to like 9 or 10 years now?  LOL

KC

More like negative 40-50 years now.  We been on the edge of environmental extinction since the 60's right?
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Cooper is a Nazi idiot, but thankfully the good people of NC will ignore him and set their own rules.

I’d like to know what part of the State this JanM whacko is in. Vaccinated and wearing a mask but still scared of his own shadow. What a child!

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
I wonder how these DUmbasses will cope here in California when we fully reopen on June 15th and masks will be optional for people to wear.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Quote from: Internet Bad ASS Jan Michael
What I noticed with the maskless customers...smug. They looked smug. They were also mostly looking Type 2, sickly, and 99% middle aged (not over 65) white. Also,and this is mean, but we'd all be better off if they kept masks up due to the Rickety Cricket looks on their faces. Blech.

Well, keyboard commando, your worthless diatribe inspired me late afternoon today as I briefly stopped into the grocery store.

Ralphie did not wear a mask, and when I saw people younger than myself wearing a mask like the good Germans they are, I intentionally looked smug.  For complete information, I'm 50, fully vaccinated, not sickly or overweight, and yes WHITE!!!  And yes you clown, a conservative heterosexual white male.  How I enjoy your hatred, it only makes me and my fellow conservatives stronger.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DLR Pyro

Well, keyboard commando, your worthless diatribe inspired me late afternoon today as I briefly stopped into the grocery store.

Ralphie did not wear a mask, and when I saw people younger than myself wearing a mask like the good Germans they are, I intentionally looked smug.  For complete information, I'm 50, fully vaccinated, not sickly or overweight, and yes WHITE!!!  And yes you clown, a conservative heterosexual white male.  How I enjoy your hatred, it only makes me and my fellow conservatives stronger.
https://youtu.be/RQItlVmC8Mw
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Cooper is a Nazi idiot, but thankfully the good people of NC will ignore him and set their own rules.

I’d like to know what part of the State this JanM whacko is in. Vaccinated and wearing a mask but still scared of his own shadow. What a child!

Yes I was shocked when governor dumbass Cooper lifted everything. JanM is a lying shit, I just got back from San Diego last Thursday and went to Harris Teeter Friday morning and the new sign that replaced the mask required sign stated, “per new guidance all NC stores no longer require a patron to wear a mask if fully vaccinated.” Paraphrasing

Not hard to figure the general area of JanM, Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro or Wilmington. Only places I know in this state with a Costco.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies

Not digging 40% maskholes in an NC Costco. Costco was sooo good about the requirement.

So I go in around 2pm today and expected being that it was Costco that most people would have a mask. They have a been a go-to since March 2020 for shopping safely. Overall they were the best mask rule enforcing shopping public space where I lived.

But since the NC Gov. Roy Cooper (who I like) put out new mask guidelines last week all hell has broke loose.

Let me back-up...I am fully vaccinated but NC is barely "ok" in percent fully vaccinated adults at 48%. So a sliver over 50% of the adult population is not fully vaccinated so we shrink our mask rules. The mask rules that NC did early I think really kept down COVID spread even in our numbskull conservative fly over counties. NCDHHS did a wonderful job under heavy fire from our crazies.

Then I went into a Harris Teeter and only two or three maskholes tops. Harris Teeter has not modified their mask rule to the new rules that excluded restaurants and grocery type stores (leaving homeless shelters, schools and hospitals and Jack in the Box requiring masks).

I get home and look up Costco's policy. Basically in states, like NC, that do not require masks for people in retail like Costco. But it also says this:

"Face coverings will still be required in some close contact situations in healthcare settings, including Pharmacy, Optical, Hearing Aid."

Funny. The Costco pharmacy tech was maskless as was the hearing aid person. People hanging around those spaces 50/50 maskless.

I wonder what percent were fully vaccinated. 50%? 0%? 90%? I would guess lower because they all looked like they thought they were in a le Carre spy novel like Smiley's People. The main characters.

Is this the high point, the acme, or their existence? Walking into a Costco like the Cold War was still a thing? There is no more in life for them. For today they are powerful Gods cruising through the aisles unaccosted with the air flowing through their noses and permed hair...owning the Libs. Tomorrow too maybe. But eventually this will all end.

Gawd I can't stand them.

Okay then.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Blind squirrel alert, from Dutch's earlier grab:

madville (5,312 posts)

14. For many the mask has become a comfort object (aka security blanket)

Like if someone is masked walking alone in a park 100s of yards from any other person or driving in their car alone. It makes them feel safer even if there is no real threat, it will take years for those that have developed a psychological attachment to move beyond it.

Been saying that for quite a while.

And for the record, DUmmies:

Mask-holes are whiny insecure liberals who demand everyone where a mask until their mortal coil.

Synonyms include: Covidiots, and Corona-bros-gals

Don't be that guy/gal/LatinX/pick your own pronoun.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender