Author Topic: Texas on the brink of allowing permitless handgun carry  (Read 711 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Texas on the brink of allowing permitless handgun carry
« on: May 24, 2021, 04:03:47 PM »
luv2fly (1,145 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215460739

Texas on the brink of allowing permitless handgun carry

With all apologies to our good Texas dems, this just gives me one more reason to never again go to Texas. Welcome backwards to the old wild west.

----

Bill legalizing permitless carry of handguns in Texas on brink of passage after compromise reached
Patrick Svitek, The Texas Tribune
May 24, 2021

A bill to allow the permitless carrying of handguns in Texas is on the brink of reaching Gov. Greg Abbott's desk after the state House and Senate reached a compromise on the bill.

The author of the legislation, Rep. Matt Schaefer, R-Tyler, announced the deal in a statement Friday afternoon, and the Senate sponsor, Sen. Charles Schwertner, R-Georgetown, issued a subsequent statement also acknowledging an agreement. Just before midnight on Sunday, the House approved the deal in an 82-62 vote. The Senate is expected to approve the new version soon.

More at
https://www.rawstory.com/bill-legalizing-permitless-carry-of-handguns-in-texas-on-brink-of-passage-after-compromise-reached/

Licenses for carrying a handgun in public are administered at the state level by the Texas Department of Public Safety. Texas is a “shall issue” state, which means that as long as an applicant meets the basic requirements for purchasing a handgun — like being 21 — local law enforcement has to furnish a license to carry.

In 2015, Governor Abbott signed legislation allowing Texans with licenses to openly carry their handguns, as long as those weapons are in a hip or shoulder holster. The law still bans guns in certain places like schools, polling places, courtrooms and secure airport areas.

joetheman (576 posts)

2. If this doesn't turn the state blue, nothing will. nt

:whatever:

MarineCombatEngineer (4,039 posts)

4. So I guess you won't be visiting these states either?

1 U.S. jurisdictions that have constitutional carry
1.1 Alaska
1.2 Arizona
1.3 Arkansas
1.4 Idaho
1.5 Iowa
1.6 Kansas
1.7 Kentucky
1.8 Maine
1.9 Mississippi
1.10 Missouri
1.11 Montana
1.12 New Hampshire
1.13 North Dakota (residents only; concealed carry only)
1.14 Oklahoma
1.15 South Dakota
1.16 Tennessee (residents only; handguns only)
1.17 Utah
1.18 Vermont
1.19 West Virginia
1.20 Wyoming

And just for the record, I oppose Constitutional Carry, if a legal citizen wants to conceal carry, they should go through an extensive course on legal use of firearm, laws regarding self defense and training with said firearm and get the permit to conceal carry.

:loser:

Star Member StarfishSaver (15,515 posts)

7. We should have constitutional voting

After all, don't constitutional carry proponents insist that requiring a permit turns something from a right into a privilege?

Surely that applies to requiring people to register to vote, which is tantamount to requiring a permit, right?

:thatsright:

Star Member ananda (24,320 posts)

5. I hate my state government.

Period

:whatever:

Dial H For Hero (854 posts)

9. They're also on the brink of deregulating suppressors, making them essentially an over the counter

item not requiring any background check or paperwork as long as the suppressor is marked "Made in Texas". Such a suppressor would, by state law, be required to stay in Texas.

Presuming the governor signs the bill, it would still have to go through the federal court system before it takes effect.

Star Member hamsterjill (11,797 posts)

12. Can't wait until my schizophrenic neighbor carries.

I’m scared to death of this. I live in an older neighborhood and we have a young man who has schizophrenia. The police get called on him ALL THE TIME for doing things - like throwing rocks at passing cars, breaking in to people’s houses, etc. He gets taken away for a few days sometimes but he’s back every time. His elderly parents won’t or can’t take responsibility for him and he doesn’t stay on his medication. I’ve written the court numerous times trying to assist in getting him committed. He needs help and there is none. No mental health help in shitty Texas.

This man walks the neighborhood at all hours and he frequents a pawn shop just up the road. It is only a matter of time until he gets a gun. He will either kill someone, or the police will kill him.

I would leave Texas in a heart beat if I could.

If he has been diagnosed as having schizophrenia he can't buy a gun.  :whatever:

Star Member doc03 (27,688 posts)

15. It is harder to vote in this country than to buy or carry a gun nt

You have to show a current photo ID to buy a gun, DUmbass.

:bird:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: Texas on the brink of allowing permitless handgun carry
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 04:44:36 PM »
In 2015, Governor Abbott signed legislation allowing Texans with licenses to openly carry their handguns, as long as those weapons are in a hip or shoulder holster. The law still bans guns in certain places like schools, polling places, courtrooms and secure airport areas.
 :bird:

I'm sure someone able to search DU-archives could find very amusing threads and posts from that time frame predicting that the streets and highways of Texas would run with blood because of that law. Because they believed and hoped that would happen.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 06:00:22 PM »
Ah, the old democrat party fear of freedom rears its head again. We are told frequently that more permissive gun laws will take us back to the wild west, yet I don't see them concealed carry types a-killin', wagons rollin', spurs a-chingin', wood-fired locomotives a-chuggin', or the tumbleweed a-bouncin'.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 06:04:05 PM »
Is there some law that forces you to visit Texas and the other wonderful states that allow concealed carry?

Shaddup, and keep living scared all of your miserable existences while performing your duties as a keyboard commando.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 06:05:03 PM »
Ah, the old democrat party fear of freedom rears its head again. We are told frequently that more permissive gun laws will take us back to the wild west, yet I don't see them concealed carry types a-killin', wagons rollin', spurs a-chingin', wood-fired locomotives a-chuggin', or the tumbleweed a-bouncin'.

Chicago, D.C., other liberal utopias have the most restrictive gun laws, yet their murder rates soar.  Cognitive dissonance.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 08:37:02 PM »
Chicago, D.C., other liberal utopias have the most restrictive gun laws, yet their murder rates soar.  Cognitive dissonance.

DUmbasses are so far in deNile I'm surprised they haven't been been eaten by the crocodiles that live there.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 10:50:55 AM »

9. They're also on the brink of deregulating suppressors, making them essentially an over the counter

item not requiring any background check or paperwork as long as the suppressor is marked "Made in Texas".

This I need to know more about!   :-)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 11:16:17 AM »

item not requiring any background check or paperwork as long as the suppressor is marked "Made in Texas".

This I need to know more about!   :-)

Could it be? A DUmmie who hasn't watched so much "Man from U.N.C.L.E." that (s)he believes "silencers" reduce gunshot noise to a quiet "Phut"? :tongue:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 03:15:59 PM »
There is already permit less carry in places like Chicago, Baltimore, NYC and a number of other dem run shit holes. :thatsright:

All you need is to be a thug gang banger to qualify. :argh:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 05:50:24 PM »
There is already permit less carry in places like Chicago, Baltimore, NYC and a number of other dem run shit holes. :thatsright:

All you need is to be a thug gang banger to qualify. :argh:
St Louis is shining example of liberbull love & tolerance along with with murder under the Arch.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”