Author Topic: Opinion: American democracy is in even worse shape than you think  (Read 366 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member CousinIT (6,009 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215452120

Opinion: American democracy is in even worse shape than you think

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/05/20/american-democracy-is-even-worse-shape-than-you-think/

. . .

We have four huge problems. I don’t see solutions to any of them.

By far the biggest problem is the Republican Party.

Presented with a clear chance to move on from Trumpism after the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, the GOP has instead continued its drift toward anti-democratic action and white grievance. The future looks scary. A Republican-controlled House could attempt to impeach Biden in 2023 and 2024 on basically any pretext, as payback for Trump’s two impeachments. If Republicans win the governorships of Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin next year, taking total control in those key swing states, they could impose all kinds of electoral barriers for the next presidential election. The Republicans are laying the groundwork to refuse to certify a 2024 Democratic presidential victory should the GOP hold a House majority.

The radicalization of the Republican Party has outpaced what even most critical observers imagined,” Georgetown University historian Thomas Zimmer told me. “We need to grapple with what that should mean for our expectations going forward and start thinking about real worst-case scenarios.”

Further, Republicans are poised to take a lot of undemocratic actions at the state level, where they already have total control in 23 states. Expect to see Republicans elsewhere gerrymander legislative districts the way they have in Wisconsin, where it is now virtually impossible for Democrats to win a majority in either house of the legislature. GOP-controlled state governments are both blocking cities from implementing new policies and reversing old ones, preventing the Democratic-leaning jurisdictions from determining how their communities are run. America won’t be much of a democracy, Zimmer said, if it has a federal system in which more than 20 states “resemble apartheid South Africa more than a functioning multiracial democracy.”

And all indications are that another group of Republicans, the six GOP appointees on the U.S. Supreme Court, either embrace the party’s anti-democratic drift or aren’t going to do much to halt it.

. . . Perhaps democracy dies faster in darkness. But it could also die slowly in the light, as all of us watched but didn’t do enough to save it.

:whatever:

Star Member MerryHolidays (5,844 posts)

1. This is is why exposure of the things that the Rs have done is IMPERATIVE

Like January 6, like collusion/conspiracy with Russians etc, corruption MUST be exposed. That will shave off of a substantial number of votes.

Please note: I am not kidding myself. I didn't say all votes....I said "substantial", which in this context means a few percentage points will not vote at all or not vote for the R candidate.

Right now, the MAGATs and the lemmings in the R party are awash in R noise. They get their news from Fox or OAN, and that's it. That all they know. Clearcut criminality will make a difference to some R voters.

Walleye (5,917 posts)

2. They will talk endlessly about how we are a republic not a democracy

You never hear anybody questioning them on that point. It’s aggravating as hell. They’ve never actually explained the difference. Conclusion is that they actually do not believe in democracy. How do they think we’ve been electing people all this time?

:thatsright:

Star Member Haggard Celine (12,748 posts)

4. When someone says that to me,

I point out that we're a democratic republic, which is the truth. That usually shuts them up, if they know the definitions of the terms. If not, they're ignorant fools and there's no point talking to them.

johnthewoodworker (446 posts)

5. About 40% of our country are moronic Republican/Nazis. Democracy does not get better.

Klaralven (4,061 posts)

10. "We have four huge problems" - And what are the other three?

:rotf:

Star Member Roy Rolling (5,134 posts)

11. How Do Thet Get This Way?

Republicans didn’t radicalize in a vacuum—they’ve always been opposed to Democratic legislation.

Fox News. Rush Limbaugh. Profiting off of America’s decline is the change.

End laws based solely on commerce. Bring back the Fairness Doctrine.

There are things more important than money, out government should recognize that and not force everyone into commerce. Government stands as a check on uncontrollable commerce—in this case, propaganda media that enriches people like Rupert Murdoch.

It’s like crack for the eyes, ears, and mind. Anger Addicts can’t turn it off, someone else must do it for them.

Star Member dlk (8,265 posts)

16. How much of this radicalization has its roots in racism?

I think America is still coming to terms with how deeply those roots run.

3825-87867 (195 posts)

18. Reporters should forget following the money...

What a coincidence that all the states deciding to gerrymander, deprive voters and reduce the power of governors have all had political epiphanies within days of each other?

Maybe it's time for real journalists to do their freaking jobs and do some investigating on their own (unless they simply agree with fascists or are slave-beholden for money to their Republican overlord owners).

No way in this hell or any other that the current crop of Republicans is smart enough on their own to come up with these ideas individually.

We need to find the perps who are behind these ideas to destroy democracy. And make no mistake, there IS a cabal, secret society, dark power group or whatever you want to call it telling these puppets what to do and promising them Nirvana. Forget the Illuminati or other time-warn, imaginary or not, clandestine organizations. This current group transcends anything those could think of.

These vermin need rooted out, exposed for what they are and removed from - power...

Again, if anyone thinks 99% of today's Republicans can compose these kinds of laws when they can't chew gum and walk at the same time, they are crazy or don't care because, well, it doesn't involve me, needs to wake up and get their heads out of the sand. Forget the woke shit. It's time for people to spend a little time learning about what their choices in government really mean for them and their children.

If not, those of us who are older and sadly won't be around much longer, won't suffer nearly as much as those in their late 40s or early 50s. And as far as those younger, get your heads away from your phones and try to become a little more aware of what will happen to you if your generations do nothing.

By the way, before anyone says it, yes, get off my lawn - and get involved.

Sorry for the rant.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline ADsOutburst

Re: Opinion: American democracy is in even worse shape than you think
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 09:21:35 AM »
Star Member MerryHolidays (5,844 posts)

1. This is is why exposure of the things that the Rs have done is IMPERATIVE

Like January 6, like collusion/conspiracy with Russians etc, corruption MUST be exposed. That will shave off of a substantial number of votes.

Please note: I am not kidding myself. I didn't say all votes....I said "substantial", which in this context means a few percentage points will not vote at all or not vote for the R candidate.

Right now, the MAGATs and the lemmings in the R party are awash in R noise. They get their news from Fox or OAN, and that's it. That all they know. Clearcut criminality will make a difference to some R voters.
I hear the left claim this a lot, and it's objectively untrue. In fact, the left limits their news to left wing sources. Most people on the right do consume some news from non-right wing sources. Anecdotal case in point, I've seen my 75 year-old dad watching snippets of Rachel Maddow, Chris Cuomo, and Don Lemon.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 09:52:34 PM »
The problem with democracy is there's too many Democrats in charge.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 09:59:10 PM »
Didn't we just have the cleanest, fairest, most transparent, most honest, and fairest election ever, according to democrats?

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 01:14:33 PM »
Star Member Roy Rolling (5,134 posts)

It’s like crack for the eyes, ears, and mind. Anger Addicts can’t turn it off, someone else must do it for them

Irony, thy name is the DUmp.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.