Author Topic: OPINION ON MANCHIN NEEDED ...  (Read 786 times)

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
OPINION ON MANCHIN NEEDED ...
« on: May 01, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »
Hi guys ...

What do you think of Breitbart's headline this morning re "Democrat Joe Manchin Crushes Democrat Dreams of Federal Election Takeover: ‘I’m Not Going to Be Part Of It"

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/04/30/democrat-joe-manchin-crushes-democrat-dreams-of-federal-election-takeover-im-not-going-to-be-part-of-it/#disqus_thread

I know very little about him, and need to see what you think.  I would dearly love to believe it, but am not sure whether or not I can.

Thanks ~ ABC
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:18:51 AM by ABC-2 »
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: OPINION ON MANCHIN NEEDED ...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 09:24:08 AM »
I don't think he's "on our side." I think he recognizes the tenuous position of his side and is trying to keep them from destroying themselves and taking him with their dumb asses.

He is to be supported, ala Milton Friedman:

"I do not believe that the solution to our problem is simply to elect the right people. The important thing is to establish a political climate of opinion which will make it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing. Unless it is politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing, the right people will not do the right thing either, or if they try, they will shortly be out of office."

~ Milton Friedman
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 10:21:01 AM »
Manchin is a career politician. He's been in the Senate since 2010, but he was governor and SecState of WV before that.

While he somewhat has a reputation of being a "moderate Democrat" leaning often toward conservatism, he's riding on the coattails of Robert Byrd and the "Democrat" moniker that goes with that.

Manchin understands his reputation and is not afraid to put his stuff out there. Why? To stay in front of the cameras, of course. At the heart of everything, Manchin is a career politician.

And while Manchin may enjoy the "lone wolf" Democrat/Blue Dog-type reputation, we must always remember for every Manchin, the Republicans have a Mitt Romney, Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, and Ben Sasse. So maybe Manchin's statement isn't quite the blockbuster that he'd like us to think it is.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 10:42:00 AM »
OTOH, I would take someone like Manchin in a heartbeat for Illinois. Hell, he's more conservative than most republicans in Illinois.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 08:28:17 PM »
Until Manchin actually votes on something, one way or the other, I can't speculate on specifics.

He's untrustworthy in the way a sports-coach is untrustworthy, airing strategies into a microphone.

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 10:36:39 AM »
Manchin is an old-school Democrat politician trying to stay relevant in a Democratic Party that has flown far off into Leftfield, with the shots being called by radicals who have taken over the party. The fact that he remains in the party as it has morphed toward communism tells me all I need to know about the man. If he had any principles, he would have left the Democratic Party by now.
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 11:52:39 AM »
Manchin is an old-school Democrat politician trying to stay relevant in a Democratic Party that has flown far off into Leftfield, with the shots being called by radicals who have taken over the party. The fact that he remains in the party as it has morphed toward communism tells me all I need to know about the man. If he had any principles, he would have left the Democratic Party by now.

From what I've read, Manchin's been enticed, invited, and cajoled over to the Republican party by some of his colleagues in the Senate, if not the RNC.

Manchin's Wiki article says that he has said he'd remain a Dem as long as he's in the Senate. If that's true, that kinda tells you he'd rather stay in front of the cameras being the proverbial swing voter rather than actually join the caucus he votes with most of the time.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 10:49:46 AM »
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 06:44:11 AM »
Here is another analysis on Manchin and why he cannot be trusted by anyone, except the Dems - and even then it's a little iffy.

Manchin's in a bit of a quandary with his STATED position on the filibuster, but as franksolich is wont to say - "Democrats lie. Democrats lie all the time."

Let's not be surprised if Manchin flees back to his Democrat roots and torpedoes our political system, even as broke-dick as it is.

https://townhall.com/columnists/derekhunter/2021/06/08/this-isnt-really-the-joe-manchin-show-n2590618?utm_source=thdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&newsletterad=06/08/2021&bcid=54b311e9e985a52310aeaad8e21af0fc&recip=19794211

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 08:33:15 AM »
1. He is a politician, re-election is priority one.

2. His positions on filibuster, court packing and the "Steal the Vote" bill HR1/SR1 will rehabilitate his reputation with many WV voters despite his vote FOR impeachment.

For what it's worth, my advice is to email him or call his office and thank him for his opposition to the radical agenda.   You can be sure that he is getting tens of thousands of calls and emails from furious radical leftists.  It can't hurt, doesn't cost anything and only takes a few minutes.   Ditto for Kyrsten Sinema.

Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 10:00:12 AM »
It's unsettling, watching the two 'pressure-campaigns'...

The pressure on Fauci to resign.
The pressure on Manchin to conform.

Two separate animals.  Brit Hume pointed-out that the pressure on Manchin is actually on Chuck Schumer.  -That Manchin is actually The Majority-leader in the Senate now.  The fact that DU-threads seem to be giving Schumer a pass would certify that as being true.  The useful idiots can't decide who they're supposed to be useful for.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 12:11:57 PM »
It's unsettling, watching the two 'pressure-campaigns'...

The pressure on Fauci to resign.
The pressure on Manchin to conform.

Two separate animals.  Brit Hume pointed-out that the pressure on Manchin is actually on Chuck Schumer.  -That Manchin is actually The Majority-leader in the Senate now.  The fact that DU-threads seem to be giving Schumer a pass would certify that as being true.  The useful idiots can't decide who they're supposed to be useful for.

Good points.

Regarding Fauci, the longer he resists just hanging it up and going home to watch his beloved baseball the more he looks like the narcissistic power monger that he is. Good God, the man is 80 years old. (Doesn't look like it.) All of these geriatrics throughout government - Fauci, McConnell, Feinstein, and especially Slow Joe - aren't doing anybody any favors with their stubborn refusal to go home to Ft. Living Room.

Yep, the onus is on Schumer to "lead" Manchin and Sinema back home to Daddy Dem. Sinema has been pretty emphatic about her middle finger being extended to those trying to rope her into the Dem camp on the filibuster and she might be strong enough to stick with it. But anybody who trusts Manchin who do what he says is going to be disappointed.

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 02:04:49 PM »
That Manchin is actually The Majority-leader in the Senate now. 

This is actually close to the truth.  Politically he is "center-right", the Republicans should make him an offer he can't refuse to switch parties.  Send Chuck Schumer back to his desk as senior senator from New York.
Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire