Author Topic: Portrait of a DUmmie Thanksgiving: Thanksgiving alone.  (Read 1834 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Portrait of a DUmmie Thanksgiving: Thanksgiving alone.
« on: November 24, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029880429

Thu Nov 23, 2017, 06:23 PM
Eko (2,652 posts)

Thanksgiving alone.

Was great! I slept in late, made a roast in the crock pot last night and ate that today. Some laundry, a little bit of work, I'll have a couple of beers and get up at 4am for retail craziness at work. Nice and quiet thanksgiving.

Thu Nov 23, 2017, 06:24 PM
dawg (8,937 posts)
1. Cool.

But you weren't really alone, though, because we're here!

Thu Nov 23, 2017, 06:27 PM
Archae (38,728 posts)
3. Alone here too...

Well, not quite.

Charlotte and Raven (my cats) are here too, and they love waking up after a nice long nap and laying on my lap purring away.

Thu Nov 23, 2017, 06:29 PM
Star Member romana (600 posts)
5. Same here

Laid on the couch all day reading. Now cooking a nice dinner.

Perfect way to spend the day.

Thu Nov 23, 2017, 06:38 PM
HipChick (18,244 posts)
9. I caught Wholefoods..

before it closed early and bought myself Thanksgiving dinner...alone by choice, since I literally just stepped off a plane from Asia trip and last thing I wanted is to be bothered by anyone. Probabely will sleep this jet lag off till Monday...and catch up on the news since I've been gone..

Thu Nov 23, 2017, 06:40 PM
Star Member Motley13 (2,837 posts)
10. I don't mind being alone, usually better than a lot of options

but today I went to my neighbors & it was very nice.
I don't cook on holidays anymore, for guests or any other time for that matter.
I have stopped doing anything that I don't want to do.

Thu Nov 23, 2017, 06:45 PM
msongs (45,087 posts)
12. its learned behavior, the whole social construct, and can be unlearned easily. good for you nt

Having friends is a social construct.   :rotf:

Thu Nov 23, 2017, 06:48 PM
Star Member GoCubsGo (18,104 posts)
13. I spent mine with my cat.

I prefer it that way.

Thu Nov 23, 2017, 08:39 PM
trixie2 (194 posts)
18. I actually prefer to stay home

I don't like turkey. I found out I am pre-diabetic which is odd since I don't like sweets. I learned that carbs turn into sugar, blah blah. I completely turned my life around with my eating habits and have always been in the "normal" zone and won't let it rise up. A few of my family members are gluten free and I noticed that gluten free foods are 2 - 3 times the carbs which would be dangerous for me. I am sick of bringing my own food and I am tired of driving a long way north. We are from the greater Detroit area and most of my family have moved north on land with out sewers and have well water. Yuck. They keep saying, "move north with us". No way! I need civilization and a library down the street and my doctors/dentist down the road and 24 hour stores and a choice of markets including a butcher and farm markets. It is odd that the further north you go the less likely you will have a butcher near you so you have to buy your meat at the grocery store. I have never bought my meat at a grocery store and never will. The prices alone are crazy and the quality is sub par at best.

I made chicken breast stuffed with brie and apples and had steamed fresh vegetables. I am watching Netflix all day and picked up movies and a couple of books from the library yesterday. Also got a new winter coat from Penney's at 80% discount - woo hoo.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

TL;DR:  DUmmie ate alone, their family all moved away from them, they need 24 hour stores because they are most likely unemployed and do their shopping at 3AM, and they need the library for internet access.

Thu Nov 23, 2017, 09:06 PM
SharonClark (3,095 posts)
22. Family left town so it was just me and the dog. Loving it.

Thu Nov 23, 2017, 09:08 PM
BamaRefugee (329 posts)
23. Same here. Loving it. Besides, this was the hottest Thanksgiving in L.A. history.

All I would have wanted if i went somewhere was cold cranberry sauce and a couple of gin and tonics!

Offline thundley4

Re: Portrait of a DUmmie Thanksgiving: Thanksgiving alone.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »
Thu Nov 23, 2017, 06:48 PM
Star Member GoCubsGo (18,104 posts)
13. I spent mine with my cat.

I prefer it that way.

The cat didn't get to vote in that decision.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 01:58:50 PM »
Translation: I have no friends or relatives who care if I live or die.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 02:33:03 PM »
One reason I stay at DU for a short time.  :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 02:46:03 PM »
I am happy dammit!

DO YOU HEAR ME??? HAPPY, I TELLS YOU!   I DON'T NEED TO STEENKIN FAMILIES AND FRIENDS!!

All I need is just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 03:37:41 PM »
And the conversation at some Thanksgiving dinners:

So, I see  your brother is not here this year.

Yeah, he is such a liberal asshole we decided to not let him spoil the day for us and our friends.  :rant:

That was a great decision, it will be nice to eat in peace and not have to listen to a bunch of liberal memes and talking points.  :yahoo:

Yes, and don't forget about how the election was "stolen" form the most qualified candidate! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 09:41:24 PM »
Translation: I have no friends or relatives who care if I live or die.

I disagree. I think they have lots of relatives that really want them to die. Today.  :cheersmate:

And the conversation at some Thanksgiving dinners:

So, I see  your brother is not here this year.

Yeah, he is such a liberal asshole we decided to not let him spoil the day for us and our friends.  :rant:

That was a great decision, it will be nice to eat in peace and not have to listen to a bunch of liberal memes and talking points.  :yahoo:

Yes, and don't forget about how the election was "stolen" form the most qualified candidate! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That was the nice polite form of "I'm glad your asshole relative ain't here this year!  Me too, me too, yep, me also, me too, pass the taters, oh and me too."   :cheersmate:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi