Author Topic: Windows 10 needs help badly  (Read 13552 times)

Offline ChuckJ

Windows 10 needs help badly
« on: November 18, 2017, 04:17:07 PM »
I very much need some help. I’m running a Late 2015 iMac with macOS High Sierra. I’m also running Windows 10 on the Bootcamp partition via Parallels Desktop.

Thursday night I followed my normal routine of starting up the Mac. Then clicking on my Parallels icon to load Windows. I received an error message telling me that Windows had encountered a problem and needed to restart. The “stop code” was DRIVER UNLOADED WITHOUT CANCELLING PENDING OPERATIONS. It claims that what failed was mrxsmb.sys

Before I go any farther let me point out that I have not added or installed any new programs or accessories recently. In fact, I can’t remember the last time that I added or installed anything new.

Since the apple side of things run fine AND since if I boot directly into Windows I encounter the same problem I’m assuming that Apple has nothing to do with the problem.

I can boot into safe mode. I’ve tried to restore to a restore point. All of them fail. I’ve tried most of things in the Windows troubleshooting section. I’ve ran a virus scan that came up claim. I ran Malwarebytes and it came up clean.

I’d REALLY love to get this fixed without doing a clean install because I don’t want to have to go through the hassle of reinstalling everything, but it is what it is I suppose.

Can any of you offer any advice?

By the way, if I’m slow in responding or respond with something that looks like gobbledegook please forgive me. I sliced my main “hunt and peck” finger yesterday so my typing is worse than usual.

Thanks.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
Re: Windows 10 needs help badly
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 09:44:18 PM »
you're not necessarily in uncharted territory, but that's MAC land... help is little and far between.
I did make an attempt, but referenced suggestions all pretty much included reinstalling windows 10. Most are similar to this one:

https://www.patchworkoftips.com/fix-windows-10-crash-mac-bootcamp/5779/

I'm not a MAC guy so I prob shouldn't have even weighted in, but just in the case you haven't looked this up already.. and telling you exactly what you didn't want to hear.
I have seen reference to this being related to the intel video driver and some suggested removing the hardware from the windows 10 device manager interface and reinstalling it, but I'm not sure if that would end badly or not. Maybe a last resort attempt.

Here is one process you can try, it's a shot in the dark, but it doesn't take a long time.

- boot into safe mode with networking enabled
- open a command prompt AS ADMINISTRATOR (right click the cmd icon)
- run the following command:  DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- once that finishes, in the same window, type: sfc /scannow   (do not interrupt it, let it go to 100% and finish)

What these utilities do is check all of the protected operating system files, looks for presence and corruption, and replaces them with a good cached copy if it finds anything funky. After it is finished, make sure you run all of the updates available to make sure there isn't a bugfix you are missing.

Sorry I'm not much more help...  it's difficult when not sitting in front if it, plus like I said... I'm lost on a MAC.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »
you're not necessarily in uncharted territory, but that's MAC land... help is little and far between.
I did make an attempt, but referenced suggestions all pretty much included reinstalling windows 10. Most are similar to this one:

https://www.patchworkoftips.com/fix-windows-10-crash-mac-bootcamp/5779/

I'm not a MAC guy so I prob shouldn't have even weighted in, but just in the case you haven't looked this up already.. and telling you exactly what you didn't want to hear.
I have seen reference to this being related to the intel video driver and some suggested removing the hardware from the windows 10 device manager interface and reinstalling it, but I'm not sure if that would end badly or not. Maybe a last resort attempt.

Here is one process you can try, it's a shot in the dark, but it doesn't take a long time.

- boot into safe mode with networking enabled
- open a command prompt AS ADMINISTRATOR (right click the cmd icon)
- run the following command:  DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- once that finishes, in the same window, type: sfc /scannow   (do not interrupt it, let it go to 100% and finish)

What these utilities do is check all of the protected operating system files, looks for presence and corruption, and replaces them with a good cached copy if it finds anything funky. After it is finished, make sure you run all of the updates available to make sure there isn't a bugfix you are missing.

Sorry I'm not much more help...  it's difficult when not sitting in front if it, plus like I said... I'm lost on a MAC.

While running DISM it stopped at 98.8% and gave me an error code of 0x800f0906 and told me the source files could not be downloaded.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 08:26:53 PM »
While running DISM it stopped at 98.8% and gave me an error code of 0x800f0906 and told me the source files could not be downloaded.

hmm... When in safe mode, can you browse the internet without issue? as in, have you verified you have network access?

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:16:21 PM »
hmm... When in safe mode, can you browse the internet without issue? as in, have you verified you have network access?

Apparently I can NOT browse the net in safe mode. I can't even get Edge or IE or whatever it's called now to run. Right now I'm to the point of going with the option of wiping everything and starting from scratch, but that's going to be a bad, bad deal if I have to do that.

Back when I ran exclusively windows I seem to remember that there used to be an option where you'd boot from your disk and do a repair install where it would try to leave your stuff alone and just fix what is wrong. Since Windows 10 uses a USB ISO and there is not disk does that option still exist someway?

edit to add: I've been running Windows on a mac for several years now. Not because I'm one of those snooty Apple people. Not because I'm anti-MicroSoft. I just got tired of constantly getting the BSOD.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:18:29 PM by ChuckJ »

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 09:57:59 AM »
I have no internet connection even when booting into safe mode with networking. I need an internet connection. Or a real big hammer.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 02:32:40 PM »
I have no internet connection even when booting into safe mode with networking. I need an internet connection. Or a real big hammer.

Do you have the windows 10 dvd media?

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 02:37:19 PM »
Do you have the windows 10 dvd media?

No. I have the iso on a sd card stuck in a usb adaptor. I've searched the web for ways to burn that to dvd and make it bootable, but I've failed at every turn thus far.

I just thought of something. One of my biggest problems with the above is due to the limited functionality of safe mode. I know safe mode is limited anyway, but at this time it seems to be more limited than normal. It just dawned on me that my wife has a laptop running Windows 10. I might be able to make something bootable with her laptop.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:40:11 PM by ChuckJ »

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »

I just found an easy document you can follow.
the section you are interested in, sinc eyou have no network access, is under "Using DISM with the RestoreHealth and Source options"
** Important: you can do this if you have the DVD if internet access isn't available. Just make SURE it's the same media you installed it with originally.. same exact version and release... like "Professional" or "Home". whichever one it was. Not using the correct media can casue even more seirous problems with the Windows install

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 02:42:31 PM »
the section you are interested in, sinc eyou have no network access, is under "Using DISM with the RestoreHealth and Source options"
** Important: you can do this if you have the DVD if internet access isn't available. Just make SURE it's the same media you installed it with originally.. same exact version and release... like "Professional" or "Home". whichever one it was. Not using the correct media can casue even more seirous problems with the Windows install

Looks like I was modifying my above post as you were typing so here is what I added to the end of my last post: I just thought of something. One of my biggest problems with the above is due to the limited functionality of safe mode. I know safe mode is limited anyway, but at this time it seems to be more limited than normal. It just dawned on me that my wife has a laptop running Windows 10. I might be able to make something bootable with her laptop.

By the way, if I haven't already mentioned it, thanks for attempting to help me work this out.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »

Funky, what is the link to the document? Plus two more questions...

1) by "exact version and release" what do mean exactly? The iso that I have is the one that I used to initially install Windows 10. Naturally there have been some downloaded updates since I bought and installed the iso. Does that matter?

2) I have been able to create a bootable DVD from the USB iso. I can boot from the DVD and when it gets to the part where you select to do an install or repair your computer I'm clicking repair and it is taking me to the same "Choose an option" screen that I've been getting with the options being "Continue", "Use a device", "Troubleshoot", and "Turn off your PC".

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 06:33:57 PM »
DERP!
Sorry, I totally spaced out putting the link in there. Here ya go:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

And what I meant is exactly what you have. If you have the same ISO you used to install it, that is exactly what you want. You can mount the ISO or just burn a copy and mount the DVD and point to that.
Might take a little experimentation with the source switches, I've only ever used this with the online internet method so I probably can't be of much help there, but that document is pretty straightforward.

Oh, and as far as patches, after you run the repair stuff, just run windows updates again and it'll take care of all the versioning and stuff. No sweat, you don't need to worry about that as long as you have the original source DVD. See, Microsoft has various media versions, and that's not even counting all the OEM's who have their own custom images. If you try to use some other version of the DVD, it could tear stuff up. But you should be fine since you have the same one you installed with.
Of course there is always risk when you do maint. like this so make sure you save off any critical documents you may have stored on the windows partition JUST in case it blows when you run this. Sounds to me like you are pretty much already backed into a corner without much to lose anyway though.

I hope that helps correct the issue.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »
DERP!
Sorry, I totally spaced out putting the link in there. Here ya go:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

And what I meant is exactly what you have. If you have the same ISO you used to install it, that is exactly what you want. You can mount the ISO or just burn a copy and mount the DVD and point to that.
Might take a little experimentation with the source switches, I've only ever used this with the online internet method so I probably can't be of much help there, but that document is pretty straightforward.

Oh, and as far as patches, after you run the repair stuff, just run windows updates again and it'll take care of all the versioning and stuff. No sweat, you don't need to worry about that as long as you have the original source DVD. See, Microsoft has various media versions, and that's not even counting all the OEM's who have their own custom images. If you try to use some other version of the DVD, it could tear stuff up. But you should be fine since you have the same one you installed with.
Of course there is always risk when you do maint. like this so make sure you save off any critical documents you may have stored on the windows partition JUST in case it blows when you run this. Sounds to me like you are pretty much already backed into a corner without much to lose anyway though.

I hope that helps correct the issue.

Okay. Thanks. I do have a question that may or may not be stupid and you may or may not have the answer. Should I attempt this within the virtual machine or should I do it within boot camp?

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 07:32:13 PM »
that's outside my area of understanding, but windows is windows other than the hardware being virtual. However you normally run and use windows, just boot it that way, only difference is you need to use safe mode

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 08:41:11 PM »
I believe that I followed the instructions to the letter. My iso was on the dvd in Drive D. The install.wim was in the folder: Sources. At the command prompt I typed...

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:D:\Sources\install.wim

It ran through to 89.6% then told me that the source files could not be downloaded.

I tried the above command line again with /LimitAccess added to the end and got the same result.

Despite the above I ran sfc /scannow and it ran through and said everything was verified (I believe was the term).

When rebooted I still got the same stop code with the failed file shown as mrxsmb.sys SO I took the mrxsmb.sys file from my wife's laptop and followed the instructions here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-sfc-command-utility-fix-system-files-windows-10   to overwrite my mrxsmb.sys file with her file. Her Windows 10 laptop is working fine. I successfully overwrote the file on my computer. Then still got the same stop code and failed file at boot up.