Author Topic: Packers trade Favre to Jets  (Read 4747 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Packers trade Favre to Jets
« on: August 06, 2008, 11:57:45 PM »

sort of surprising . . . I would have thought the bucs would nab him.

The Brett Favre era in Green Bay is now officially over. But Favre's legendary career is not.

The month-long saga has finally come to an end, with the Packers agreeing to trade their future Hall-of-Fame quarterback to the New York Jets.

The Packers confirmed the trade Wednesday night in a press release.

"Brett has had a long and storied career in Green Bay, and the Packers owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for everything he accomplished," the team said in the release. "It is with some sadness that we make this announcement, but also with the desire for certainty that will allow us to move the team and organization forward in the most positive way possible."

The exact compensation was not immediately known, but it is believed to be a single draft pick that increases in value depending upon how the Jets perform during the 2008 season.

"I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform," Jets Chairman and CEO Woody Johnson said in a statement released by the team. "He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible product on the field."

More

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Packers trade Favre to Jets
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:04:10 AM »
I don't pay attention to professional sports and the NFL, but this whole thing comes off as embarassing.

Favre should have thought this out a little better.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:06:25 AM »
I don't pay attention to professional sports and the NFL, but this whole thing comes off as embarassing.

Favre should have thought this out a little better.

I think it's a little presumptuous of any of us to pretend as though we know the whole story.  jus' sayin' :innocent:

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:17:10 AM »
He's heading to Tampa. Our local talk show host today had a VERY good source that said he was on a plane heading to Florida.

BTW, the Packer management just pissed off their entire fan base.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:19:48 AM »
The New York media is going to be brutal on Favre.

I hope he realizes what he's gotten himself into.

He should have stayed retired.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 03:49:42 AM »
I think that Favre's arm will be worth at least one additional W for the Jets, probably against the Bills.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 07:49:01 AM »
He's heading to Tampa. Our local talk show host today had a VERY good source that said he was on a plane heading to Florida.

Kinda missed that call. :confused:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 08:52:13 AM »

The Brett Favre era in Green Bay is now officially over. But Favre's legendary career is not.

The month-long saga has finally come to an end, with the Packers agreeing to trade their future Hall-of-Fame quarterback to the New York Jets.

"Brett has had a long and storied career in Green Bay, and the Packers owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for everything he accomplished," the team said in the release. "It is with some sadness that we make this announcement, but also with the desire for certainty that will allow us to move the team and organization forward in the most positive way possible."

The exact compensation was not immediately known, but it is believed to be a single draft pick that increases in value depending upon how the Jets perform during the 2008 season.

"I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform," Jets Chairman and CEO Woody Johnson said in a statement released by the team. "He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible product on the field."

More

favrer prolly wants too much money &/or  Gruden didn't like being told that HE is headcoach  :lmao: ...

nah, GB  made Tampa give up too much ....and obviously, GB is thinking 'playoffs', which tampa is a contender for so...no, no to faverer going to an NFC contender....

but this is a STUPID move by faverer....

of all places for a country boy from the south to 'retire' ....NOO YAWK CITY ??

and a jets team whose headcoach is a whiney beotch who started a QB controversy last season already....

have fun throwing in that swirling meadowlands wind brett... :thatsright:

and have fun facing off against the Pats next season !... hell even the Bills would whoop the sorry ass Lions ...this ain't no NFC norte son !!

oh and way to think of your wifes health...... NYC will surely be good for her cancer battle... ::)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:53:48 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 08:57:22 AM »

nah...

I'd say only about 30% ...

all the cheezheads w/ mancrush's & faverer who are using their emotions instead of their cheezheads...

I'd say the other 60% of the fan base is split between thinking "GO AWAY BRETT" &/or  thinking about 1-2 years from now favrer is gone for good & the packers are left w/ young  2 QB's w/ ZERO experience & 1 whose contract is up ....

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 09:02:54 AM »

More

favrer prolly wants too much money &/or  Gruden didn't like being told that HE is headcoach  :lmao: ...

nah, GB  made Tampa give up too much ....and obviously, GB is thinking 'playoffs', which tampa is a contender for so...no, no to faverer going to an NFC contender....

and a jets team whose headcoach is a whiney beotch who started a QB controversy last season already....

and have fun facing off against the Pats next season !... hell even the Bills would whoop the sorry ass Lions ...this ain't no NFC norte son !!

oh and way to think of your wifes health...... NYC will surely be good for her cancer battle... ::)

yeah, I know.  you have infinite wisdom on this issue because you played soccer "at a fairly high level".  your penetrating
insight into a multi-billion dollar sports industry, a storied franchise within that industry, and into one of the premier atheletes
ever to suit up for any sport imaginable is without parallel.  because, hey, "pretty high level" is up there, ya know?

i put your take on the farve deal slightly lower on the "whacko scale" (you get four whackos out of five for this one) than your
insistence that the entire NFL conspires to put the colts into the super bowl every year because they have a hard on for peyton
manning. 

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 09:04:14 AM »

nah...

all the cheezheads w/ mancrush's & faverer who are using their emotions instead of their cheezheads...

I'd say the other 60% of the fan base is split between thinking "GO AWAY BRETT" &/or  thinking about 1-2 years from now favrer is gone for good & the packers are left w/ young  2 QB's w/ ZERO experience & 1 whose contract is up ....

. . . and now you know what everyone in the state of wisconsin thinks. :whatever:

you psychic, too?

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 09:06:52 AM »

More

yeah, I know.  you have infinite wisdom on this issue because you played soccer "at a fairly high level".  your penetrating
insight into a multi-billion dollar sports industry, a storied franchise within that industry, and into one of the premier atheletes
ever to suit up for any sport imaginable is without parallel.  because, hey, "pretty high level" is up there, ya know?

i put your take on the farve deal slightly lower on the "whacko scale" (you get four whackos out of five for this one) than your
insistence that the entire NFL conspires to put the colts into the super bowl every year because they have a hard on for peyton
manning. 

I seem to  get it better than your soccer mom, soap opera self....

you've been crying on your sleeve since favre popped his head back up  :lmao: ...

I called corporates decisions the whole way ....

you did not...

you thought like a wimpering woman whose cheating, out of work boyfriend just dumped her (again), ....I reasoned like a businessman...

I said all along that GB was DONE with brett favre & they would TRADE him ...  :thatsright:

:tongue:

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 09:15:02 AM »

nah...

. . . and now you know what everyone in the state of wisconsin thinks. :whatever:

you psychic, too?

well, being that 1/2 my family still lives in that area & my father has been a packers fan before you were even a tadpole, and the fact that CHEEZHEADS WERE CALLING FOR FAVERERS HEAD 2 YEARS AGO, I'd say I'm pretty spot on...

specially if you consider that some current packers players & fans are SAYING THIS MUCH NOW....

I break this down just like we do in politics...

30-30-30 split  basically...

#1- the diehard psychophants that love brett faver so much, they don't see his faults or that he's actually holding the team back

#2- diehard PACKERS fans first & foremost, not brett favrer fans first and foremost

#3-people who really don't give a shit at this point & will be satisfied either way if the packers do well w/ rodgers or faverer ...

by the way, my 73 year old packer fan father was ready to see brett go out on top after last season... (or on the bottom 2-3 years ago, just GO already)

he's really unimpressed w/ favres WISHY WASHY decision making recently & now understands why he's choked in every clutch game these past 12 years or so... :lmao:

and he'll be a packer fan w/ rodgers, win or lose...

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »

More

manning. 

I seem to  get it better than your soccer mom, soap opera self....

you've been crying on your sleeve since favre popped his head back up  :lmao: ...

I called corporates decisions the whole way ....

you did not...

you thought like a wimpering woman whose cheating, out of work boyfriend just dumped her (again), ....I reasoned like a businessman...

I said all along that GB was DONE with brett favre & they would TRADE him ...  :thatsright:

:tongue:

when you drag a nearly infinite number of irrelevant factoids into every thread that you touch, you can usually claim that
you were right at some point or other.  shit, no one knows what the **** you are SAYING half the time, so you can always
claim that that's what you meant someplace down the road.

and you reasoned like the semi-deranged homeless person that bummed pocket change off me on the way to lunch yesterday;
rambling, and pompously self satisfied.  you are a legend in your own living room, dude.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 09:20:56 AM »

nah...

you psychic, too?

well, being that 1/2 my family still lives in that area & my father has been a packers fan before you were even a tadpole, and the fact that CHEEZHEADS WERE CALLING FOR FAVERERS HEAD 2 YEARS AGO, I'd say I'm pretty spot on...

specially if you consider that some current packers players & fans are SAYING THIS MUCH NOW....

#1- the diehard psychophants that love brett faver so much, they don't see his faults or that he's actually holding the team back

#2- diehard PACKERS fans first & foremost, not brett favrer fans first and foremost

#3-people who really don't give a shit at this point & will be satisfied either way if the packers do well w/ rodgers or faverer ...

by the way, my 73 year old packer fan father was ready to see brett go out on top after last season... (or on the bottom 2-3 years ago, just GO already)

he's really unimpressed w/ favres WISHY WASHY decision making recently & now understands why he's choked in every clutch game these past 12 years or so... :lmao:

somehow, I don't expect your family to be any less nutty than you are.  genetics and all, right?

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 09:35:26 AM »

nah...

you psychic, too?

somehow, I don't expect your family to be any less nutty than you are.  genetics and all, right?

most of them are packers or bears fans ....so there you have it :lmao:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 09:41:08 AM »

nah...

you psychic, too?

ah.  so that makes them at least masochistic. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 09:42:44 AM »

favre jerseys were being pre-sold on the jets website literally 10 minutes after the announcement.

and then the jets website starting going down intermittently.  it was down this morning.  demand, I assume.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 10:03:42 AM »

nah...

you psychic, too?

definitly...

my nephew , who goes to purdue, is a COLTS fan....

I guess he's the only sane one eh ? :lmao:

Offline Donpeyote

• Schade's friend
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 10:09:14 AM »
 Were the Jets,jets,jets one of the teams I mentioned in an Earlier thread as a home for brett ? :popcorn:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 10:25:16 AM »

nah...

you psychic, too?

definitly...

my nephew , who goes to purdue, is a COLTS fan....

I guess he's the only sane one eh ? :lmao:

I don't like freakin' peyton manning any more than you do, so don't expect me to say anything nice about your nephew, either. :-)

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 01:46:07 PM »
wow...

the Jets schedule is definitly their friend this season too..

they have only 4 games that they have a 90%, or more, chance of losing

2 against the Pats

1 against the Chargers in san diego

1 against Seattle in seattle

all the rest they have a shot in ... oakland, denver, miami, bills, cincy, titans (which will be tough), KC , AZ
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:54:40 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »
wow...

the Jets schedule is definitly their friend this season too..

they have only 4 games that they have a 90%, or more, chance of losing

2 against the Pats

1 against the Chargers in san diego

1 against Seattle in seattle

all the rest they have a shot in ... oakland, denver, miami, bills, cincy, titans (which will be tough), KC , AZ

the strength of your out of division schedule every year depends on your record the year before, and they were 4-12.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 06:26:10 PM »
the strength of your out of division schedule every year depends on your record the year before, and they were 4-12.
Is that still true? I thought a team was scheduled against an entire division in the other conference. Example: Baltimore Ravens (AFC) would play all the teams in the NFC North as well as their own division.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 09:15:40 AM »
Is that still true? I thought a team was scheduled against an entire division in the other conference. Example: Baltimore Ravens (AFC) would play all the teams in the NFC North as well as their own division.

yep...

and the matchups for this season were picked years ago & the pats are  playing the same teams the jets are (as far as their AFC west matchups), cept the Pats got Indy whereas as the Jets get Cincy as far as their 'midwest' matchups ::)...

what the NFL manipulates season to season & even during the season, is homefield advantages, early/late games, bye weeks, road/home games & amount of time between games (specially important ones)

for instance the  past 3 seasons the colts got to play ALL tough games  cept for one, either at home or w/ at least 7-14 days rest ....

sure tEh colts played tough teams, but teams like the Jags, Titans were scheduled to their own disadvantage EVERY time while facing the colts (either short rest &/or playing a tough road game the week before their game against the  colts)

this season, the teams the Pats are playing don't have good records, but, the NFL, just like last year, has done their best to give the Pats a MEANINGLESS bye week, scheduled ALL of their toughest games on the road & given them alot of night games....

that makes it tougher than on the surface...

as bud grant used to say... "in the NFL, its not who you play, as much as WHEN you play them"...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 09:18:01 AM by john c calhoun »