Author Topic: DUmmies salute to the South.  (Read 5645 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
DUmmies salute to the South.
« on: February 06, 2008, 07:36:59 PM »
Stuckinthebush  (1000+ posts)         Wed Feb-06-08 04:28 PM
Original message
Question from a 10 year old
   Advertisements [?]

My 10 year old daughter is a big Clinton supporter (and quite peeved at her parents for their Obama support). We live in Alabama which means that the vast majority of her friends come from Republican families. She told me today that her best friend said,

"Hillary Clinton only wants to be president because she just wants to be the first woman president."

Upon asking me if that was true, I told her that while I'm sure that Senator Clinton would like to be the first female president it is certainly not why she is running. She is running because she cares about US citizens and wants to make sure that children are well educated, that families will have health care, that we all can find good paying jobs, and that America's reputation in the world is repaired after 7 years of a disastrous presidency of George Bush. She agreed and wondered why her friend's family hates Clinton so much. Evidently when she was over at their house the other day her friends father was watching a news story about Bill Clinton speaking in Birmingham. My daughter excitedly said, "I was there and on the front row!" to which the father said, "Hrrumph..". I told her that many in the South are not fond of Democrats so don't be surprised if she hears that more and more during the run up to the General Election.

My daughter then asked a question that I have had a hard time answering. She asked:

"Why do people in the South support the Republicans more than the Democrats?"

How would you answer that question from a 10 year old?
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2826598

And they call conservatives bigots.

TrogL (1000+ posts)         Wed Feb-06-08 04:29 PM
Response to Original message
1. Because the majority of Southerners were raised with an Authoritarian mindset   
   Authoritarians tend to vote fascist.
YOY  (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-06-08 04:30 PM
2. Religious values voters
   Edited on Wed Feb-06-08 04:32 PM by YOY
The easy answer. The "pious attitude" that Pubs like to play wins them over. Of course it's all a show of the worst proportions...

That and rednecks tend towards the "tough guy attitude" that the Pubs like to play wins them as once again a show set by a bunch of chickenhawks.

YOY  (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-06-08 04:35 PM
Response to Reply #5
10. Then say those with a severe provincial mindset (Villagers) with severe nationalistic tendencies.
   Edited on Wed Feb-06-08 04:36 PM by YOY
Fits them to a tee.

Explaining ignorant nationalism doesn't take a college degree.

You know: "Some people are proud of something that takes no personal accomplishment: Nationality and Religion in this case." Republican's tend to aim for those

BOSSHOG  (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-06-08 04:32 PM
6. Pride. Ignorance. They are easily manipulated
   by nonsense like "patriotism" and "values." They think voting for republicans is manly. And my number one reason, they buy the gop line: "Government does not work, put us in charge and we will prove it."

aphopkin  (220 posts)         Wed Feb-06-08 04:34 PM
8. In my opinion
   Way back when, the Republicans decided how to take the South. They figured out that most southern people were against the Civil Rights Movement. Voila - instant issue. The Republicans came out against Civil Rights and promised that it would not pass. The people of the south voted against Civil Rights by voting FOR Republicans. Then they taught their children to vote for Republicans and to identify themselves as Republicans. Its hard to change an identity that has been ingrained this way.

How do I know? I'm a child of a bigoted southern family who was raised to be a Republican.

Guess that means Al Gore Sr and Robert Byrd are Republicans and never knew it.

elehhhhna (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-06-08 04:48 PM
15. A: They don't. It's ignorant, LOUD people who support Republicans.
   This explaination worked fine on our tween daughters.

DCKit  (1000+ posts)         Wed Feb-06-08 05:15 PM
19. Too bad you can't tell her that all the men want to be pResident...   
   'cause they all think it makes their penis larger.

Hmmm, I wonder how many of the failed candidates, over the years, have bought convertibles or muscle cars after dropping out.

Huh??

digitalbuddha  (15 posts)        Wed Feb-06-08 05:39 PM
28. Because they are confused
   and are unable to tell the difference between what is good for the majority and what is good for the minority. That should be simple enough for a ten year old.

If more detail is needed, just explain that the right does not want to share their wealth and seeks to accumulate more wealth through evil means. (wars, prisons, poverty)

I understand the desire to not disparage your daughters friends, but you can only sugar coat descriptions of the right wing so much.

Parenting 101 from a DUmmie...teach them to hate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: DUmmies salute to the South.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
Hey DUmmies...  :bird:
F.O.A.D.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:59:29 PM »
Funny, the other day my 9 year old asked me, "Are we Republican or Democrats" as we were watching some election coverage on TV.  I said "WE" aren't anything, your Dad and I are Republicans but you can be what ever you want.  She asked me what the difference was and I used the "teach a man to fish vs. give a man to fish" analogy.  I didn't say anything bad about Democrats.  Then she asked me if we knew any Democrats....I said of course and named a few.  Then she went back to playing her game.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:03:32 PM »
Funny, the other day my 9 year old asked me, "Are we Republican or Democrats" as we were watching some election coverage on TV.  I said "WE" aren't anything, your Dad and I are Republicans but you can be what ever you want.  She asked me what the difference was and I used the "teach a man to fish vs. give a man to fish" analogy.  I didn't say anything bad about Democrats.  Then she asked me if we knew any Democrats....I said of course and named a few.  Then she went back to playing her game.

Two quilts...............no conversion, bushes or cops.

and for telling the truth I subtracted 8 quilts
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:04:31 PM »

I'm not so sure I want to be known as the crazy quilt lady.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »

You're not the Crazy Quilt lady.............just the quilt lady

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »

I don't even want to be known as the quilt lady. 

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »

I don't even want to be known as the quilt lady. 

Fine then, you are known as the good lady

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 09:21:10 PM »

Boring.   ::)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:22:49 PM »

Boring.   ::)

You are known as 1/2 of the sex and booze crowd

Offline BamaMoose

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 10:14:53 PM »
I love when they invoke the knee-jerk racism argument.  How do they reconcile this:

Obama 302,684 votes
Clinton 226,454 votes
Edwards 7,933 votes

Yet Clinton got more delegates.

So how do they reconcile a vote in Alabama that clearly favors a black man.  Well obviously it's a North/South thing....oh wait both Chicago and NYC are in the North.  How about misogyny....well Edwards only got 1% of the vote.  Must be Diebold....oh wait they were cheating for Clinton in New Hampshire.  What could explain this????

And how does Clinton get a delegate advantage that is contrary to the popular vote?  Why would the Democratic Party do that????

Lot's of questions that don't seem to have an answer in the punchline to a Redneck joke.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 10:26:28 PM »
aphopkin  (220 posts)         Wed Feb-06-08 04:34 PM
8. In my opinion
   Way back when, the Republicans decided how to take the South. They figured out that most southern people were against the Civil Rights Movement. Voila - instant issue. The Republicans came out against Civil Rights and promised that it would not pass. The people of the south voted against Civil Rights by voting FOR Republicans. Then they taught their children to vote for Republicans and to identify themselves as Republicans. Its hard to change an identity that has been ingrained this way.

How do I know? I'm a child of a bigoted southern family who was raised to be a Republican.

I'm guessing this one has never studied history or was too stoned during the 60's to remember which party fought tooth and nail AGAINST Civil Rights legislation. It certainly wasn't Republicans.

Cindie
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 07:09:26 AM »
Perhaps it's because there is a lower concentration of brain-damaging volatile chemicals in the air away from the major urban metroplexes where the Democrats seem to have their main strength.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 07:19:25 AM »

Ahhhh but your family doesn't carry the DU Intellectual Superiority Gene.  IF you had the GENE then you would have gone into the Economic Development of the nation and how the housing industry is affecting nearly every thing through the stock market ..... Which as we all know is Bush's fault.   :whatever:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 07:28:52 AM »
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/WyntonHall/2008/02/04/the_unknown_history_of_civil_rights

Black History Month is about informing citizens of the hurdles and heroes of America’s climb toward civil rights and equality. How interesting, then, that so many race-related political myths continue to be perpetuated by Democrats who know better.

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., speaks at the Greater Mount Carmel Missionary Baptist Church in St. Louis, Mo., Sunday, Feb. 3, 2008. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)
Related Media:
VIDEO: Obama vs. Clinton
VIDEO: Snub or Spin?

Consider the recent fracas over Senator Hillary Clinton’s contention that President Lyndon Johnson was the driving force behind the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. As any fair examination of history reveals, a large share of the legislative credit for the bill’s passage must go to that other senator from Illinois—Republican Minority Leader Everett Dirksen.

Just look at the historical record. As Lyndon Johnson told Hubert Humphrey: "Now you know that bill can't pass unless you get Ev[erett] Dirksen.”

Indeed, LBJ biographer Robert Caro notes that prior to 1957, Johnson “had never supported civil rights legislation—any civil rights legislation,” including anti-lynching legislation. His private behavior toward blacks was appalling. Robert Parker, LBJ’s longtime black employee and limousine chauffeur, claims that Johsnon blasted him daily with a blizzard of bigoted slurs. And even as LBJ was being praised by liberals for his appointment of Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court, behind closed doors LBJ’s cynical brand of “identity politics” became clear. As presidential historian Robert Dallek recounts, LBJ explained his decision to a staff member by saying, “"Son, when I appoint a nig—r to the court, I want everyone to know he's a nig—r."

Still, despite his record and rhetoric, LBJ fought hard to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964. But those he had to fight against were Democrats, not Republicans. Democrats like former Klansman Senator Robert C. Byrd and others launched a filibuster to kill the Civil Rights bill. The chances of stopping them seemed bleak. Never in the history of the United States Senate had members mustered enough votes to stop a filibuster (a procedure known as “cloture” that requires 67 votes to invoke) on a civil rights bill.  more at link

Historical records are included in this gentleman's piece. One of the few times I caught Oprah she discussed this and got it wrong too. A BLACK woman who doesn't even know who fought for her right to vote. Shameful. Shameful that a group who claims to care for equal rights doesn't seem to know that history either. I'm a conservative and I know the history. Wait, perhaps this yet another reason why I am conservative.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 07:46:10 AM »

Historical records are included in this gentleman's piece. One of the few times I caught Oprah she discussed this and got it wrong too. A BLACK woman who doesn't even know who fought for her right to vote. Shameful. Shameful that a group who claims to care for equal rights doesn't seem to know that history either. I'm a conservative and I know the history. Wait, perhaps this yet another reason why I am conservative.
That is because you learned the history as it happened jty,without it having to be re-written or re-framed because the facts don`t support the preferred bias.

DUmmies are notorious for being completely ignorant of actual history instead relying on perpetually repeated myths or loony conspiracy nonsense to validate their warped viewpoints.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 07:59:12 AM »
I'd like for these dumbass mofos to tell me how it is the Republican party that's acting like Fascists. From where I'm standing, the Democrat Party is the party of Fascism and they prove it every day with the regulations, laws, and restrictions they pass and/or introduce. Wanna see Fascism? Go to San Fran. Wanna see true freedom? Visit many towns in the South.

You DUmbasses are just that.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 08:19:37 AM »

I perfer the fire analogy. "Build a fire for a man and he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." This usually scares kids in to silence.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:33:21 AM by FlaGator »
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 09:07:30 AM »

I perfer the fire analogy. "Build a fire for a man and he's warm for the night. Set and man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." This usually scares kids in to silence.

Bwahahahahahaha  I'll have to remember that one.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Online jukin

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 09:30:10 AM »
My Daddy told me that those strenously claiming to do things are usually doing the exact opposite of what they claim they are doing.  If that doesn't fit a DUmpmonkey to the tee, I don't know what does.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 10:33:09 AM »
I told her that many in the South are not fond of Democrats so don't be surprised if she hears that more and more during the run up to the General Election.

You're welcome.  Fighting the good fight.:nunchuck:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 12:00:09 PM »
YOY  (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-06-08 04:35 PM
Response to Reply #5
10. Then say those with a severe provincial mindset (Villagers) with severe nationalistic tendencies.
   Edited on Wed Feb-06-08 04:36 PM by YOY
Fits them to a tee.

Explaining ignorant nationalism doesn't take a college degree.

You know: "Some people are proud of something that takes no personal accomplishment: Nationality and Religion in this case." Republican's tend to aim for those

Nothing like your gender or your race right? BTW, In America you can choose your nationality and/or your religion! DUmba**.  ::)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826