Author Topic: whining  (Read 812 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
whining
« on: December 07, 2023, 12:11:11 PM »
Please note, this is NO appeal for sympathy or compliments; it's posted simply to let everyone know I'm still alive and kicking, although barely.

I need, very badly, to vent. In April 2017, during surgery to replace the mitral valve in my heart, it was discovered I had Stage 4 cancer of the esophagus, and Stage 4 cancer of the liver. I was given six months to live; I wasn't going to see Christmas that year.

The first seven months, I was in chemotherapy. As I wanted this thing beat, I instructed the oncologists to give me beyond the usual dosages, twice as much, if possible. I wanted the cancer dead, and no question about it. I even suggested I go in three times a week, rather than one.

Well, I don't know if the oncologists overdosed me--I kind of doubt it--but I'd dreadfully miscalculated how much my body could take. In seven months, I had eleven treatments, and I was hospitalized eight times, for things such as no more white blood cells, runaway diarrhea, a heart that beat too fast in one half and too slow in the other half, unconsciousness, and one time, a heart beat that had slowed down to 29 per minute.

I lived alone, on my own, for which I am grateful to God, because there was sweating, massive bleeding, vomiting, pissing, shitting, all which left big--and utterly disgusting--messes. Nobody had to see these things.  I had a cleaning lady whom I paid $140 every two weeks for housecleaning and laundry, and as time went on, the care and maintenance of the cats.  She never knew there was anything amiss. I'd always been a stickler for this "I'll clean up my own messes, thank you." Even my underwear and bed linens were impeccably white, myself having hand-cleaned them before giving it to her for laundering.

By the fifth month, my older sister, a registered nurse who had my power of attorney, begged the oncologists to ease up, as I was obviously getting weaker. At the same time, I instructed the oncologists to increase the dosages, to pour it on. I don't know if they ended up listening to my sister, or me.

By December, about the time I was projected to die, I was a wreck, considerably weakened "out of it" most of the time, and on my last leg. Still I told the oncologists, "I want to beat this; pour it on, give me more, give me all you’ve got." Two days before Christmas, finally sensing I was at the end of my tether, I surrendered myself over to hospice.

My first year in hospice, it was as if I hadn't quit chemotherapy at all; the bleeding, the uncontrollable bowels, the irregular heart beats, the disappearing white blood cells, and of course the always-present pain, which morphine could only diminish, not make it go away entirely.

Normally, one is to be in hospice six months or less, but for whatever reasons, my physician got me renewed ten times, or for six years. I don't know why. It was slow going, but gradually I began feeling better. In April of this year, Medicare finally said, "Okay, enough is enough. Kick him out."

After a couple of months, Medicare told me they wanted a whole-body CATScan, so as to see why I was still alive. So I had the CATScan, and the results came back, "No evidence of cancer."

This was a shocking discovery, totally unexpected.

I was asked if I'd gone to Lourdes.

So.....I think that was pretty impressive. One doesn't beat cancer; one can only outlast it. I was weakened and much havoc wrought my insides, but still, I was alive. I'd outlasted something nearly all other people in the same circumstances didn't. A pyrrhic victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Even though it was God, who'd given me a body strong enough to withstand and outlast cancer, I still thought I was entitled to some "Well done, lad" and somesuch compliments including one of those baseball caps advertising CANCER SURVIVOR. But no. Physicians and hospitals ostensibly have such things, but they're given out only to people in their care or on their program. No "free-lancers" who got better without their help. It may sound like a silly whining complaint over a trivial thing, but after the sort of life I've had the past near seven years, I want one of those; I think I'm entitled to one of those.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
Re: whining
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 01:42:49 PM »
Yes, yes you do.

My wife just beat breast cancer. I'll look arond see what I can find.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 03:44:39 PM »
Now that you kicked the big C it’s time to try to regain some strength and enjoy what time you have left.
God bless you.. :cheersmate:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 01:49:28 PM »
Season's best Coach.  I am still on borrowed time too.  But then aren't we all, really? 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 07:44:39 AM »
Here by the Grace of God and it’s because He has something He needs you for still yet.

Glad you’re still here frank and Merry Christmas!!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 09:52:27 AM »
I think you should get a hat that simply says;

God>Cancer

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 11:09:06 AM »
Since my late girlfriend died from having cancer and the resulting surgery to removing it cause her to slowly die over a period of years the I do think you need not only a cap but a hardy congratulations Frank.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"