Author Topic: Cracked engine block  (Read 1893 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Cracked engine block
« on: May 12, 2012, 10:12:30 AM »
  We have  3 year old Huscavana  ride on lawn mower, whole thing the expensive one all full of all bells and whistles.  

We take it in for maintenance once a year.  This year on first time out of the barn Hubby noticed a very light knocking noise , so off to the shop.    The shop had changed hands last fall so we who had traded with the dealer for years had no idea what to expect.

What we did not expect was a diagnose of Cracked engine block.  Cost over $1,000 to replace it.   Yikes the machine was only 3 years old and used perhaps 60 hours at max in that time period.  No running into boulders, just mowing a flat lawn.

So they want to take our mower and the accessories and with nothing in writing about the trade in value and have us finance a new mower for $1,500 ..  Yeah some people are really dense to these things but I am afraid hubby is going to take the advice or hard sell of people when he has no knowledge about lawn mowers.

Yes there are some city born idiots that never used ever ran push mower,  so I a country girl have alarm bells ringing so loud I cannot hear myself think.

Not much I can do, Hubby is very defensive about his on the spot decision, came unglued when I asked about the trade in and why the accessory's to the machine were to go with the old machine.

So how does a 3 year old mower  get a cracked engine block when it is serviced every year ???  How come no trade in money for a $3,000 mower to buy a $1500 machine.  

Need HELP before this deal goes through.  

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Cracked engine block
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
One COULD replace the engine themselves. Northern Tool & Supply carries a multitude of engines. It's a pretty simple task. I'd also be asking about warranties and stuff. Sounds like a manufacturer's defect to me.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson