Author Topic: Tiling a shower stall  (Read 12665 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Tiling a shower stall
« on: December 09, 2008, 10:47:12 AM »
I, in my infinite wisdom ( :hammer:) have decided to completely gut and re do the shower stall in our master bath. The existing shower is really, really, shot. So being the handyman, this coming x-mas vacation (I get 2 weeks off) I'm going to tackle this thing.
 I'm not doing a pre formed pan, I'm going whole hog and doing the grout and tile route.
I've done some research, bought books, and found some You-Tube vids.
It seems it'll take me awhile but when done we should have a really beautiful shower.  (I'll take pics)
The floor will be a pebble "tile". The "tiles" are netted smooth pebbles (pebbles are glued to the netting "backing") done almost as a puzzle piece. Walls will be a matching 12" square ceramic tile and the top edging is a roughly 1" square (actually 2 rows of 1" squares of stone and glass about 12" long "netted" like the floor tiles) used as a top edging/decorative accent.
 I'm probably going to use a shower pan "system" like this: http://www.tools4flooring.com/quick-pitch-standard-kit-p-617.html
Has anyone done this? I'm just looking for advise and/or warnings about any "pitfalls".
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Wineslob

Re: Tiling a shower stall
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 12:44:56 PM »
Yeesh..............no handypeople here.  :tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »
What kind of backing do you plan to use behind the tile on the walls?
Do you own/have access to a wet saw?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:30:31 PM »
What a job!  I've never done the pan before, but have done my share of shower walls. I'm curious to see how you plan to do the pan.

Just today I finally, finally got through tiling my kitchen counter; just have to grout.  No matter how well I plan I always run into something that's not square and have to readjust.  It was also the first time I'd ever used the epoxy based mastic which is expensive.  I could probably gotten by with just plain old epoxy, but wanted to be safe since I tiled over laminate.

I've got two wet saws.  A 7 inch MK and a tiny 3 1/2 Plasplugs.  Unbelievably, the 3 1/2 cuts better than the 7, but can't handle 12x12 floor tiles well. 

Just keep your saw ready when you start laying even if you've already measured, laid out a pattern and made cuts.  A pair of nippers and sanding block are indispensable.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 06:38:46 PM »
also, make sure that your shower stall isn't going to be used for a while. The grout will need to completely cure and then will need to be sealed.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 07:09:05 PM »
also, make sure that your shower stall isn't going to be used for a while. The grout will need to completely cure and then will need to be sealed.
Some of the newer latex grouts don't require sealing afterward.  It's built-in.   :cheersmate:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:27:24 AM »
Some of the newer latex grouts don't require sealing afterward.  It's built-in.   :cheersmate:

That may be. The last house I was in had a brand new bathroom. I have NO idea of what kind of grout the installer used, but it was a BIG problem. Grout kept falling out from in between the tiles. All I was told is that it needed to be "sealed". Perhaps the installer used some cheap materials or just didn't do a very good job. He was back twice to fix stuff. It's not a problem any more as I'm not in that house any longer.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
That may be. The last house I was in had a brand new bathroom. I have NO idea of what kind of grout the installer used, but it was a BIG problem. Grout kept falling out from in between the tiles. All I was told is that it needed to be "sealed". Perhaps the installer used some cheap materials or just didn't do a very good job. He was back twice to fix stuff. It's not a problem any more as I'm not in that house any longer.
A sealer is typically used to keep it from staining.  It won't hold in bad grout.  It was probably poor installation.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 11:21:41 AM »
I've done maybe a half dozen of these when working for my brother in law.

First, you rip out everything down to the framing.

Relocate your plumbing stubs if needed, and your lighting and ventilation, make sure that is all good.

Install new pan and drain.

Mount new pvc liner on the framing (heavy rubber curtain), so that the bottom lays in the pan.

Pour concrete floor.

Mount backing board on the walls (I forget what it is called, but it's almost like sheet rock that is made out of concrete. Cut it with a diamond blade on an angle grinder.

Mount GREEN sheet rock on the ceiling.

Install tile.

Grout.

Mount fixtures.

Mount door.

Put all the finishing touches.

Come back in two days and shower with the lady of the house.  :evillaugh:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'm going to use Hardibacker on the walls and probably a pan "system" so the pitch comes out right. (I linked)

I'm going to be using a "wet look" sealant on the floor of the shower. The reason is the color of the pebble "tiles" will stand out better.
Whats really nice is the drywall guy who's working on the house right now (LONG FRIGGIN STORY) has done many bathrooms and has offered to give me a hand, in exchange for my wife to fix some problems with his laptop (no snide remarks!). I love barter.
And, yes, the wife and I will "beak in" the new shower when it's done.   :naughty:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 02:27:07 PM »
Well I started on it last monday, the 29th.

I'll post pics of the des construction.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 03:58:42 PM »
Well I started on it last monday, the 29th.

I'll post pics of the des construction.

We want to see them.

Good luck.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Zeus

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 04:09:40 PM »
Just line the walls with Shamwow  :evillaugh:

j/k  use a epoxy resin grout.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 04:15:16 PM by Zeus »
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 04:22:12 PM »
How's the shower coming along?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 12:39:44 PM »
How's the shower coming along?

Slow, funds are a bit low, so I go along as well as I can. I'm still waiting for my wife to send the pics for me to post.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 01:09:46 PM »

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 12:53:51 PM »
Peter, ty,  the vid is one of a few I've been reviewing for awhile now.

I've got the bathroom pretty much stripped now (I still waiting for the wife to mail me the pics). New underlayment, and I expanded the shower area slightly.
I'm finding a few mistakes, but hopefully nothing that would be considered major.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »
Here is a before, just after I started knocking off the tile. (week after christmas)

All I had to do was tap the walls and the tile fell off!
Luckily the studs are ok, so I don't have to re-do the framing.

I'll get some more current pics up soon.

(yes, that's a cats head in the bottom of the photo)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:31:19 PM by Wineslob »

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 11:20:29 AM »

I know a bit about tiling a shower stall having done it myself twice over 20 years ago. I learned enough to know this:
Pay a professional to do it.
Grouting sucks and if you look at your time and possible frustrations, hiring a pro may be just slightly more expensive than DIY. If you still want to do it, at least try to find a friend who has some DIY tiling experience and buy them lots of booze and food for end of day consumptions.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:27:53 AM by PatriotGame »
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »
I know a bit about tiling a shower stall having done it myself twice over 20 years ago. I learned enough to know this:
Pay a professional to do it.
Grouting sucks and if you look at your time and possible frustrations, hiring a pro may be just slightly more expensive than DIY. If you still want to do it, at least try to find a friend who has some DIY tiling experience and buy them lots of booze and food for end of day consumptions.

LOLZ, ya at first it seems that way, but I did the floor first just to get the "gist" of tiling down. The floor came out great, just VERY labor intensive. My hands are pretty sore after the grouting and I'm a mechanic by trade. (people say I have "stone mitts", kinda like shaking hands with a vise  :-))
I'll get some pics up as soon as we get the haze off the floor.

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »

I'll get some more current pics up soon.

(yes, that's a cats head in the bottom of the photo)

Is it still attached to the cat?

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 04:16:07 PM »

Is it still attached to the cat?

Yes, yes it is, though we dont have the cat anymore. (we were fostering)
 :tongue:

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 04:52:06 PM »
Where are the foto's of the completed project?

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 12:28:22 PM »
Where are the foto's of the completed project?

I have the floor *done* but not the stall. It's just too expensive to do except for once a month when I have some extra cash. I should be able to do the shower pan this weekend.

*still needs trim*

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 12:54:46 PM »
Some friends of mine and myself spent time at the salvage area of the local dump. One friend purchased 4 small vacant houses, and furnished them, sheets, dishes, stainless ware, glasses, blenders, pasts makers, tables chairs dressers, EVERYTHING , FROM THE DUMP. I furnished a home I built (but I BOUGHT BEDS, MATTERSSES and sheets new) completely with mostly nice minimal repair antiques .

Another friend got enough tile to do the home she was building in Penna. 's two and 1/2 baths, and the kitchen. Full furnature, and enough pine flooring for the rest of the home. AND enough old books to contribute to the Salvation Army to SUBSTANTIALLY reduce her tax bill by contributing them.

Got a local Salvage area?