Author Topic: our pal the attorney on the lam says President Trump's attorneys are panicking  (Read 726 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215080443

Oh my.

Now, most here will remember our former co-member Laelth, an attorney originally from Georgia but since he's been in trouble now from Texas (maybe he's set up a partnership with Gothblob, also an attorney down in Texas).  He was never expelled from here, and he's always welcome to come back to explain himself.

Laelth (31,313 posts)     Tue Feb 9, 2021, 07:03 PM

Trump's lawyers are panicked.

A number of posters and pundits have called attention to the fact that Donald Trump’s legal team appeared “disorganized” and “random” in today’s Senate trial of the twice-impeached ex-President for incitement to insurrection. Some commentators went further, calling Trump’s defense team terrible, awful, and incompetent. One particularly critical DU poster cut to the chase and described the Trump defense as “a bunch of babbling bull****.”

Undoubtedly, Castor and Shoen could have done better. What I offer here is a theory that explains why they didn’t. They’re panicked.

It takes a lot of time to prepare well for a trial. Castor and Shoen had barely a week to prepare, and they did the best they could. They prepared as solid a case as possible for acquittal on the grounds of due process and the unconstitutionality of the trial, itself.

Then, yesterday happened. The Senate agreed to bifurcate the vote (vote twice instead of just once). The first vote was on constitutionality. The Senate found the trial constitutional 56-44. Tomorrow, house managers will begin to argue the merits of the House’s case, but note that the decision to bifurcate only occurred yesterday. Trump’s defense team has mountains of arguments on unconstitutionality and due process. They have little or nothing to argue on the merits. They didn’t think that they would have to.

They had plenty of things to say today—too many, in fact. That’s why they sounded rushed, flustered, and disorganized. They didn’t have enough time to adequately cover all the material that they had prepared. I know that feeling. I’ve been there.

What’s probably worse is that they haven’t prepared much of a defense on the merits, and they have no time to do so because (at this point) they’re stuck in court all day. They’re seriously worried that when it comes time to argue the merits, they’re woefully unprepared.

As a fellow attorney, I pity them. Castor and Shoen only became aware of the actual structure of the trial the day before it began. That’s rough. Regardless, I understand why they looked mighty panicked today. I have to wonder whether they’re secretly hoping that Trump will fire them tonight.

-Laelth

I think it's mighty insulting of our pal to use "as a fellow attorney," as if he's on the same moral, ethical, and intellectual level as President Trump's attorneys.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Vagabond

What he fails to see is that they have already done what they needed to do.  At a minimum, 44 Senators have read the constitution and have realized that there is no jurisdiction for impeachment for someone that is not currently in office.  At best, the House managers will lose a few more votes, not gain.  They would need to flip 13 votes that said the trial is a farce and unconstitutional.  That won't happen.  It's already decided.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline thundley4

It would be difficult for any group of lawyers to give a coherent response to the lies and smears from Democrats. Jaw dropping stupidity is hard to explain away with reason and facts.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
The point has already been made on this thread. Trump’s attorneys only obligation is to avoid conviction. They do and Trump wins, America wins, and democrats lose.

Besides, only kooks don’t realize this is a huge waste of time and money.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline ADsOutburst

Perhaps Trump doesn't need the strongest case to prevail, but the House managers' case is so spectacularly flimsy that it kind of bothers me that Trump's defense doesn't rip them to shreds. The impeachment article claims that Trump's words were "calculated" to cause what happened, and I've seen nothing to back that.

Offline DLR Pyro

Perhaps Trump doesn't need the strongest case to prevail, but the House managers' case is so spectacularly flimsy that it kind of bothers me that Trump's defense doesn't rip them to shreds. The impeachment article claims that Trump's words were "calculated" to cause what happened, and I've seen nothing to back that.

I agree.  The defense needs to ask for proof of the "calculation".
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running

The impeachment managers are making allegations not even listed in the indictment.

By all that is right and holy, this should be forbidden, but the dems are disregarding the rules with impunity because a democrat senator is officiating the sham trial and he's letting his co conspirators do whatever they want. SCJ Roberts refused to participate.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

• Global Moderator
I agree.  The defense needs to ask for proof of the "calculation".

The dems submitted a video that edited out Trump calling for a peaceful and patriotic demonstration.

Offline thundley4

The dems submitted a video that edited out Trump calling for a peaceful and patriotic demonstration.

Falsifying evidence is a crime in a real court of law.

• Global Moderator
Falsifying evidence is a crime in a real court of law.

Yes, but this is Democratistan.