Author Topic: A winter wonderland in SE Georgia?  (Read 11245 times)

Offline ChuckJ

A winter wonderland in SE Georgia?
« on: January 03, 2018, 12:11:20 PM »
I've seen it snow in southeast Georgia before, but I don't think it's ever stuck like this.

“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline thundley4

Re: A winter wonderland in SE Georgia?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 03:10:37 PM »
That's about as much snow as we have in Illinois right now.  :rofl:

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 03:57:46 PM »
That's about as much snow as we have in Illinois right now.  :rofl:

It finally quit snowing around 2. The dog seemed to like it.

“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:08:49 PM »
It finally quit snowing around 2. The dog seemed to like it.

Our Beagle normally likes the snow and playing in it, but these temps near and below zero means she is going out, doing her business and coming back in.  :rofl:

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 04:06:31 PM »
There is still snow on the ground. I've lived in the southeast now for a little over half a century and never seen anything like it. I remember a snow storm back around 1970 or 71 where we got enough snow that we could built LITTLE snowmen out of the drifts. The closest to this one was the "Storm of the Century" back around 1993, but I remember more ice than snow with that one. It was during the '93 storm that I learned the entertainment value of deep south rednecks trying to drive on the ice.

By the way, the last sentence should in no way be construed as me putting down rednecks. I am one. I'm just one that knows some of my limitations.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
There is still snow on the ground. I've lived in the southeast now for a little over half a century and never seen anything like it. I remember a snow storm back around 1970 or 71 where we got enough snow that we could built LITTLE snowmen out of the drifts. The closest to this one was the "Storm of the Century" back around 1993, but I remember more ice than snow with that one. It was during the '93 storm that I learned the entertainment value of deep south rednecks trying to drive on the ice.

By the way, the last sentence should in no way be construed as me putting down rednecks. I am one. I'm just one that knows some of my limitations.

The last time I remember snow like this in the Savannah area was in '89. It was a couple of days before Christmas, and I worked in a toy store at the time. We couldn't open because no one could make it into work.

Our office was closed yesterday and today...and a lot of the bridges around here were closed. We don't have salt or snow plows, but the real killer was the ice storm before it started snowing. There is still snow and ice in places that are shaded...and the snow melt is going to ice over again tonight, making roads hazardous. It's nice to look at; but I won't be upset if we go another 26 years without snow.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 06:18:23 PM »
The last time I remember snow like this in the Savannah area was in '89. It was a couple of days before Christmas, and I worked in a toy store at the time. We couldn't open because no one could make it into work.

Our office was closed yesterday and today...and a lot of the bridges around here were closed. We don't have salt or snow plows, but the real killer was the ice storm before it started snowing. There is still snow and ice in places that are shaded...and the snow melt is going to ice over again tonight, making roads hazardous. It's nice to look at; but I won't be upset if we go another 26 years without snow.

89 might be what I'm remembering instead of '93. Come to think of it just about has to be '89 because I remember driving my mom to work in the storm in my beautiful electric blue Cutlass Supreme. I'm pretty sure I had gotten rid of it by 1993.

How did Savannah fare this time? I a friend in Richmond Hill and from the photos he sent me I don't think he got as much snow as we got.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 12:17:38 PM »
Wow...I live in Richmond Hill too! Small world.

I got about 1 or 2 inches at my house. There is still snow in shady patches. There were a ton of accidents on Wed morning...they finally closed most of the bridges. I was amazed how different everything looked covered in snow.

I would post a picture; but I can't figure out how to change the size of the .jpg. It's saying the file is too large.

When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
Wow...I live in Richmond Hill too! Small world.

I got about 1 or 2 inches at my house. There is still snow in shady patches. There were a ton of accidents on Wed morning...they finally closed most of the bridges. I was amazed how different everything looked covered in snow.

I would post a picture; but I can't figure out how to change the size of the .jpg. It's saying the file is too large.

I did a good bit of work in Richmond Hill back in the mid to late 80s. I went years without going back. Then a couple of years ago my wife wanted to go to Keller's and we went through Richmond Hill. It blew my mind how much it had grown.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »
I know. Back in the 80's there were only 2 schools (the second one was built in '84). Now there are 5 or 6!
What company did you work for? I've lived here all my life....so I might actually be familiar with it.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 04:44:51 PM »
I know. Back in the 80's there were only 2 schools (the second one was built in '84). Now there are 5 or 6!
What company did you work for? I've lived here all my life....so I might actually be familiar with it.

I wasn't working for a company in Richmond Hill. We were actually driving in from a few counties away. There was about a 6 month period that we worked one or two days a week over there (sometimes more) in a subdivision whose name I can't recall. I do know it was between two railroad tracks off of State Route 144. For some reason I'm wanting to think the subdivision was Richmond Heights. All I can remember for sure was that it was the first place I saw a bald eagle in the wild and I killed about a 4 and half foot timber rattler out there.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:47:05 PM by ChuckJ »

Offline dixierose

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »
You would be correct...that subdivision is Richmond Heights. It's right across from the historic St. Anne's church. Henry Ford built that church (and the community house beside it) when he lived here.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 05:11:21 PM »
You would be correct...that subdivision is Richmond Heights. It's right across from the historic St. Anne's church. Henry Ford built that church (and the community house beside it) when he lived here.

Has that area grown as much as the rest of town? I haven't been back in that area since the 80s.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »
Not that area. The expansion mostly occurred further down 144. The other side of 144 (toward I-95) has grown a ton, though. New restaurants and a Kroger. We even have a Starbucks now.