Author Topic: Grandma harvests, cooks rooster for Sunday dinner  (Read 550 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Grandma harvests, cooks rooster for Sunday dinner
« on: October 31, 2009, 05:59:04 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x70520

Oh my.

Grandma, one of franksolich's favorite primitves:

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 12:28 PM
Original message

Post your favorite recipes for freshly harvested rooster! I know it's going to take those that require long cooking times and lots of liquid.

Tomorrow is the day:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

after which Grandma uses a smiley to wave at franksolich

spinbaby  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 01:19 PM
Response to Original message

1. Almost any "wet" cooking method

Chicken and dumplings, chicken pot pie, chicken braised in wine...

We also sometimes brine older birds and roast them with garlic and rosemary. The brining seems to take care of all but the toughest old birds.

The empressof all   (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 01:45 PM

3. I'd be tempted to just make stock

You have access to Feet which make the best broth. But I agree ...wet is best so stew that bird if you aren't making stock.

Coq au Vin in the crock pot is delish.

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Sat Oct-31-09 01:53 PM

4. may I ask why the rooster has to go?

I know nothing about chickens.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 02:19 PM
Response to Reply #4

6. We weren't ever supposed to have any roosters.

But of the last batch we got, there ended up being three. That's too many for only nine hens. There should be 15 or so hens to a single rooster. They've just started mating and have really injured one of the hens badly. We had to separate them completely from the hens last night and keep them away from them until they're dispatched one way or the other. They're also really loud and obnoxious, crowing a whole lot all hours of the day and in the early, early morning, which we knew would happen and why we didn't ever want any. They have to go.

One of the guys I work with is going to take two of them but he doesn't want the third one. If I hadn't gotten ahold of him just a few minutes ago, we were going to butcher all three in the morning. Now we only have to butcher one.

yellerpup  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 04:28 PM
Response to Reply #6

8. I have a medieval recipe for capon which the cookbook describes as a rooster that "hath been depriveth of his engendering stones."  They shouldn't be too tough if they are only 7-8 months old. I'd go for chicken & dumplings, though. You should have a really flavorful broth in any case.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 01:54 PM

5. It depends on how old the rooster is if the breast bone hasn't solidified all the way down, it's still young enough to fry. If it's partially solidified but still has a little give to it, you can bake. If it's fully solidified, you've tolerated the crowing entirely too long and will have to stew or fricasee the old bird.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 02:20 PM
Response to Reply #5

7. They are around 7-8 months old.

Probably going to be the latter. Since there will now only be one to be butchered, I'm thinking of going with the coq au vin.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Grandma harvests, cooks rooster for Sunday dinner
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 06:05:17 PM »
What the hell is wrong with covering one in foil and roasting in an oven with a base of liquid and maybe some vegetables?

Or better yet over an open fire on a rotessire making sure it is coated with a marinade as it cooks.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 06:07:12 PM »
What the hell is wrong with covering one in foil and roasting in an oven with a base of liquid and maybe some vegetables?

Or better yet over an open fire on a rotessire making sure it is coated with a marinade as it cooks.

A quick and easy way is to use cooking bags.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 06:14:37 PM »
A quick and easy way is to use cooking bags.

They make life so hard and then fuss how unfair it is.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 07:24:25 PM »
hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sat Oct-31-09 12:28 PM
Original message
Post your favorite recipes for freshly harvested rooster!

I hate "harvest" as a euphemism for "kill" almost as much as v****e, y***y, and those other cutesy words. I've deer hunted all my life and have never harvested one, but I killed six last year. You harvest corn.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »

I hate "harvest" as a euphemism for "kill" almost as much as v****e, y***y, and those other cutesy words. I've deer hunted all my life and have never harvested one, but I killed six last year. You harvest corn.

I think at the end of deer season, it's okay for the state to release the number of deer killed as the number harvested, but most people I know either just they got, shot or killed one. 

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »

Toe jam is also harvested. Yummy!