Author Topic: Homeowner's insurance ~ HELP!  (Read 9300 times)

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
Homeowner's insurance ~ HELP!
« on: May 22, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
I currently have Nationwide and have had them for over 15 years. Some people at Boy Scouts were talking how Nationwide overcharged them or crept up on their premiums over the years to where they were overcharged in their opinion.

Can you please recommend a good home insurance company or tell me the one's to avoid please. This is daunting!

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline namvet

Re: Homeowner's insurance ~ HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 06:40:15 PM »
Ive had farmers many years now. and I get a home 2 car discount. but homo ins is going up from inflation. I paid 100 grand for mine in 94 and it would almost cost 170 to replace today. shop around time. just make sure they show up after a disaster

ps: its my real estate tax's im pissed about !!!!

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:13:50 PM »
See if you can get a couple of recommendations from friends or family of a good agent. Provide them your current insurance coverage stats.

My next door neighbor was really ticked, because her homeowner's was going up so much. Her husband tooked a closer look at the policy and saw that the value of the home was being increased, not decreased by the carrier. The property in Florida has been taking a real hit. They were insuring it for $500k when they'll be lucky to get $250k for it. The insurance company refuses to reimburse for the overcharge.

Our, Homewise, went up about 50%. I called the agent and told them to shop it. We ended up with another company and the insurance ended $200 LESS than last year. it pays to shop (and to get the house in Florida certified as hurricane resistant or protected). I guess it was worth getting those extra storm shutters and a 165 mph resistant garage door. Those repairs should pay for themselves in a couple of years.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »
See if you can get a couple of recommendations from friends or family of a good agent. Provide them your current insurance coverage stats.

My next door neighbor was really ticked, because her homeowner's was going up so much. Her husband tooked a closer look at the policy and saw that the value of the home was being increased, not decreased by the carrier. The property in Florida has been taking a real hit. They were insuring it for $500k when they'll be lucky to get $250k for it. The insurance company refuses to reimburse for the overcharge.

Our, Homewise, went up about 50%. I called the agent and told them to shop it. We ended up with another company and the insurance ended $200 LESS than last year. it pays to shop (and to get the house in Florida certified as hurricane resistant or protected). I guess it was worth getting those extra storm shutters and a 165 mph resistant garage door. Those repairs should pay for themselves in a couple of years.

Insurance doesn't cover the real estate value -- it is replacement value, which is how much it would cost for construction of your house should it be destroyed.  So while you may only get $250K, it may cost more than that to rebuild it, and replace the contents within it.   

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 10:23:25 PM »
We have had USAA for well over twenty years and have never had a problem with them.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:05:30 AM »
I have State Farm homeowners and auto insurance and am well pleased with them. They are not the cheapest but their coverage (deductable of 2% of the home value) is better than most of the other companies in Louisiana.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 04:31:33 AM »
I have State Farm homeowners and auto insurance and am well pleased with them. They are not the cheapest but their coverage (deductable of 2% of the home value) is better than most of the other companies in Louisiana.

I had them for car insurance for a long time and when I finally had a wreck, they paid for my totaled car and dropped me like a rock the next month.  I won't use them again if that is how they treat their customers.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline namvet

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 07:54:55 AM »
I had them for car insurance for a long time and when I finally had a wreck, they paid for my totaled car and dropped me like a rock the next month.  I won't use them again if that is how they treat their customers.

was the wreck your fault??? what about your driving record. a bad driving record usually gets you higher premiums. up to a point. they they may drop you. 

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »
was the wreck your fault??? what about your driving record. a bad driving record usually gets you higher premiums. up to a point. they they may drop you. 

no bad driving record but I did hit the tree head on at 55 mph, it didn't use the crosswalk either

Just sucked because I was a very good customer, always paid my premium for something that was there in case something happened so it's not like it should have been a great shock that I used it

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »
I worked as a casualty underwriter in the insurance industry for about five years after I left the military, so don't get me started on insureds changing companies after the premiums went up because of a loss. And then there are the insureds cheating the companies. And then there are catastrophic losses like hurricanes, floods and tornadoes that cause premium increases. There are a lot of reasons for rate increases. And there are a lot of reasons for companies dropping insureds such as drug use, DUIs, and multiple traffic violations.

Moving on...

Like any business, insurance companies need a profit to stay in the business of paying for losses. This applies to property, auto and health. Many policy holders complain when premiums go up from year to year, but not when the loss is reimbursed.

My advice...read the damn policy, check your policy limits based on realistic expectations, never buy insurance based on the lowest premium. Know what the company's and your obligations are.

Over more than twenty years, I've paid thousands of dollars for auto and homeowners coverage to State Farm. So far, I've had two towing claims, and no homeowner losses. I'm happy with their service so much that last year I signed up for their reverse mortgage.

Proving the value of lost property can be a hassle. Thanks to technology, here's a hint. If you can take a photo and burn it to a CD, give it to your agent to include in your file. I do it, and I update it from time to time. If our house burns to the ground, I can still prove that we had an antique 1842 Ansonio kitchen clock - and the .AVI file shows that it was in working condition. The .JPGs show the furniture, appliances, guns, power tools, TVs, etc.

But by all means, READ THE DAMN POLICY.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline namvet

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 08:12:31 AM »
no bad driving record but I did hit the tree head on at 55 mph, it didn't use the crosswalk either

Just sucked because I was a very good customer, always paid my premium for something that was there in case something happened so it's not like it should have been a great shock that I used it

officer that tree just walked out in front of me  :bs:

if that's the only accident you've had they should have not dropped you. and i don't think they do today. only car i had totaled was in a hail storm. but i have had a few fender benders. also i took out a few deer.

my truck is old enough now i only carry liability. I assume you coverd now. 

Offline namvet

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 08:18:20 AM »
I worked as a casualty underwriter in the insurance industry for about five years after I left the military, so don't get me started on insureds changing companies after the premiums went up because of a loss. And then there are the insureds cheating the companies. And then there are catastrophic losses like hurricanes, floods and tornadoes that cause premium increases. There are a lot of reasons for rate increases. And there are a lot of reasons for companies dropping insureds such as drug use, DUIs, and multiple traffic violations.

Moving on...

Like any business, insurance companies need a profit to stay in the business of paying for losses. This applies to property, auto and health. Many policy holders complain when premiums go up from year to year, but not when the loss is reimbursed.

My advice...read the damn policy, check your policy limits based on realistic expectations, never buy insurance based on the lowest premium. Know what the company's and your obligations are.

Over more than twenty years, I've paid thousands of dollars for auto and homeowners coverage to State Farm. So far, I've had two towing claims, and no homeowner losses. I'm happy with their service so much that last year I signed up for their reverse mortgage.

Proving the value of lost property can be a hassle. Thanks to technology, here's a hint. If you can take a photo and burn it to a CD, give it to your agent to include in your file. I do it, and I update it from time to time. If our house burns to the ground, I can still prove that we had an antique 1842 Ansonio kitchen clock - and the .AVI file shows that it was in working condition. The .JPGs show the furniture, appliances, guns, power tools, TVs, etc.

my agent told me Farmers won't write policies in hurricane area's. to high risk

I did the same thing you did. I took photos of all our contents in every room and put it on a CDRW. im glad you mentioned that cause I need to update that CD

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 08:31:36 AM »

Moving on...

Former casualty adjuster here (before I had children) and all I can say is H5.    So true, and well said.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 08:36:12 AM »
Ok, is Liberty Mutual a good company?

Offline namvet

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 09:11:48 AM »

I ran it thru insure.com. A- very strong

on JD power 3 star

in your search engine type insurance company ratings.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 09:18:31 AM »
Liberty Mutual is a good company - been in business a very long time. That's a measure of a reliable insuror.

Their underwriting standards are tough as I recall. They're also a mutual company, meaning the agents are employees of the company, unlike stock companies where the agents are independent businessmen.So it's always good to know your agent.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »
We've had State Farm for what seems like forever. There have been 4 vehicle windshields replaced, a damaged left quarter panel on our 2003 CRV, and over $4000 in repairs on a Ford F-150 when I hit a deer.

No problems at all in getting things done through State Farm.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline namvet

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 09:43:14 AM »
We've had State Farm for what seems like forever. There have been 4 vehicle windshields replaced, a damaged left quarter panel on our 2003 CRV, and over $4000 in repairs on a Ford F-150 when I hit a deer.

No problems at all in getting things done through State Farm.

same here. only claims on my home has been hail damaged roof. and they now have a hotline to give local reputable roofers. a big plus since storm chaser's get there first. 

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 09:48:12 AM »
Like everybody else, our insurance premiums have been going up. Maybe the difference is that I can understand reasons why, so I'm less inclined to complain.

Our health insurance (Mail Handlers, which I carried over when I retired from the DoD) went up over 25% just this year thanks to the POS Obamacare. Auto coverage also has been going up, mostly due to inflation and increased labor costs. We adjusted our State Farm premiums by upping the auto comp/collision deductibles on my '89 Bronco and my wife's '02 Windstar van from $250 to $500.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:18 AM »
Like everybody else, our insurance premiums have been going up. Maybe the difference is that I can understand reasons why, so I'm less inclined to complain.

Our health insurance (Mail Handlers, which I carried over when I retired from the DoD) went up over 25% just this year thanks to the POS Obamacare. Auto coverage also has been going up, mostly due to inflation and increased labor costs. We adjusted our State Farm premiums by upping the auto comp/collision deductibles on my '89 Bronco and my wife's '02 Windstar van from $250 to $500.

Knock wood, my insurance hasn't gone up "that" much.  I have SF for two cars and my home, so I get a discount.  My property tax on the other hand... don't get me started.   :argh:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline namvet

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:52 AM »
I upped the deductible on both my cars to 700

Offline namvet

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »
Knock wood, my insurance hasn't gone up "that" much.  I have SF for two cars and my home, so I get a discount.  My property tax on the other hand... don't get me started.   :argh:

my personel property tax more than doubled in just one year.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 10:07:12 AM »
I had State Farm several years ago, for homeowners and my cars.

In one year, first a freak windstorm takes down a tree in my front yard, not doing any damage to my house, but it took down utility wires and the cover for them on my neighbor's house. I called the emergency claim number, and was told neighbor's HO policy would pay for their damage as it was "an Act of Nature", since the tree was not dead. Their insurance company tried a couple of times to get mine to pay for damage, even went so far as to talk to utility company and tree cutters as to whether or not the tree was dead...all said it was not. State Farm DID NOT pay any money out to me or the neighbor.

Next my son's car was parked on the street in front of our house and was broken into. He had his backpack in an expensive calculator in it, one of those mega CD holders and some other personal stuff, taken. Plus the thieves took the stereo system he had put in. And of course they broke the window. Car was actually mine, and he was living at home at the time. Claim was paid....and since it was a break-in on the car, claim was on my homeowner's policy.

1 day short of a year later, from the car episode,  I turned in a claim for a new roof due to a hail storm. New roof. State Farm paid it. Month later, I received a cancellation notice from them for having too many claims in a year.  :( :banghead: :argh:

Best friends' daughter and son-in-law have 2 Nationwide agencies. They have gotten very quick response on the damage from our storms the end of April.

I know after Katrina and then Wilma...both State Farm and Allstate stopped writing HO insurance policies for the remainder of 2005. Not sure how widespread it was, but I know people here that were buying new homes (for them) could only get State Farm or Allstate on the new house if they already had an active policy in their "old" home. First time home buyers were having a very had time getting HO insurance, and I know - at least in my office - it was coming down to time of closing before people were able to get insurance. It was a real mess.

I would not be at all surprised to see it happen again this year, with all the disasters happening. Local paper reported over $200million in claims just here from the April 27th tornadoes. That was about 2 weeks ago, I would not be surprised to see it go quite a bit higher. Every house in my subdivision (116 houses) is getting new roof(30year dimensional roofs) guttering and downspouts, all roof vents. I don't know how many are getting new windows, but most are getting at least some new screens(I'm getting 13), many are having their decks resurfaced and refinished (I am), holes in siding(I have), outside lights, outside furniture and grills, AC units repaired (I have 2 that are damaged). BFF's getting all new siding too, even though she only has damage on 2 sides,  because her color has been discontinued, so the whole house will have to be redone...her house is only 7 yrs old.

As extensive as the damage is around here, it is nothing compared to south of us in AL. Add in the floods, and now all the new damage from this weekend. News said last night there were 872 tornadoes in the month of April! May is technically the start of tornado season, and June is technically the start of hurricane season that continues to the first of November. How much damage is yet to come? Will some companies stop writing policies.

The Nationwide adjustor told my friend that roofing costs had already had one increase, and that whatever he determined their amount (or anybody's) of damage and amount of reimbursement, would NOT cover their repairs, because of supply/demand, the unprecedented high number of claims in so many states...there just isn't enough product out there which is going to cause long delays in some repairs. Once they get estimates, they are to submit them to Nationwide for review. There is a 6 week wait for car windows.

Both my next door neighbor and the people behind us, haven't even seen their adjustors yet. So far, I've only seen 4 new roofs go on in here. Supposedly, house closings have been halted due to extensive repairs being needed and no one wants to close without them being done. I know a lot of houses have been pulled off the market due to damage.

Again....we have NOTHING here, compared to so many places.

According to the weather people, this current weather pattern through the midwest and south is to continue for several more days.... :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline namvet

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »
I had State Farm several years ago, for homeowners and my cars.

In one year, first a freak windstorm takes down a tree in my front yard, not doing any damage to my house, but it took down utility wires and the cover for them on my neighbor's house. I called the emergency claim number, and was told neighbor's HO policy would pay for their damage as it was "an Act of Nature", since the tree was not dead. Their insurance company tried a couple of times to get mine to pay for damage, even went so far as to talk to utility company and tree cutters as to whether or not the tree was dead...all said it was not. State Farm DID NOT pay any money out to me or the neighbor.

Next my son's car was parked on the street in front of our house and was broken into. He had his backpack in an expensive calculator in it, one of those mega CD holders and some other personal stuff, taken. Plus the thieves took the stereo system he had put in. And of course they broke the window. Car was actually mine, and he was living at home at the time. Claim was paid....and since it was a break-in on the car, claim was on my homeowner's policy.

1 day short of a year later, from the car episode,  I turned in a claim for a new roof due to a hail storm. New roof. State Farm paid it. Month later, I received a cancellation notice from them for having too many claims in a year.  :( :banghead: :argh:

Best friends' daughter and son-in-law have 2 Nationwide agencies. They have gotten very quick response on the damage from our storms the end of April.

I know after Katrina and then Wilma...both State Farm and Allstate stopped writing HO insurance policies for the remainder of 2005. Not sure how widespread it was, but I know people here that were buying new homes (for them) could only get State Farm or Allstate on the new house if they already had an active policy in their "old" home. First time home buyers were having a very had time getting HO insurance, and I know - at least in my office - it was coming down to time of closing before people were able to get insurance. It was a real mess.

I would not be at all surprised to see it happen again this year, with all the disasters happening. Local paper reported over $200million in claims just here from the April 27th tornadoes. That was about 2 weeks ago, I would not be surprised to see it go quite a bit higher. Every house in my subdivision (116 houses) is getting new roof(30year dimensional roofs) guttering and downspouts, all roof vents. I don't know how many are getting new windows, but most are getting at least some new screens(I'm getting 13), many are having their decks resurfaced and refinished (I am), holes in siding(I have), outside lights, outside furniture and grills, AC units repaired (I have 2 that are damaged). BFF's getting all new siding too, even though she only has damage on 2 sides,  because her color has been discontinued, so the whole house will have to be redone...her house is only 7 yrs old.

As extensive as the damage is around here, it is nothing compared to south of us in AL. Add in the floods, and now all the new damage from this weekend. News said last night there were 872 tornadoes in the month of April! May is technically the start of tornado season, and June is technically the start of hurricane season that continues to the first of November. How much damage is yet to come? Will some companies stop writing policies.

The Nationwide adjustor told my friend that roofing costs had already had one increase, and that whatever he determined their amount (or anybody's) of damage and amount of reimbursement, would NOT cover their repairs, because of supply/demand, the unprecedented high number of claims in so many states...there just isn't enough product out there which is going to cause long delays in some repairs. Once they get estimates, they are to submit them to Nationwide for review. There is a 6 week wait for car windows.

Both my next door neighbor and the people behind us, haven't even seen their adjustors yet. So far, I've only seen 4 new roofs go on in here. Supposedly, house closings have been halted due to extensive repairs being needed and no one wants to close without them being done. I know a lot of houses have been pulled off the market due to damage.

Again....we have NOTHING here, compared to so many places.

According to the weather people, this current weather pattern through the midwest and south is to continue for several more days.... :(

last night the town of Joplin, mo was wiped off the map. it made national news. ill bet the storm chasers are already there

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 10:39:23 AM »
last night the town of Joplin, mo was wiped off the map. it made national news. ill bet the storm chasers are already there

Heard that Reading was too. Every structure in the entire town was damaged.  :(  According to the news report I saw last night on ABC, only was person was killed. There were only 2 churches in the town, and only one of those had a basement. News said that a bunch of people took shelter there, and that's why they survived.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.