Author Topic: Need help on heater in car  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
Need help on heater in car
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »
I have a 04 Buick Rendevouz.  I turn on the heat and it works as long as I am gassing it/moving down the road.  Once I stop at a red light, cold air comes out of the vents.  Where is my hot air going? :censored:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Need help on heater in car
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:24:02 PM »
Have you checked your coolant level recently?

You could have a faulty thermostat or possibly a clog/blockage in your heater core or cooling system.  A new thermostat is a cheap fix.  I have the same problem with my car (the coolant in the heater core eventually cools down if you're not moving). 

My radiator leaks noticeably as well.  You may want to make sure you're not leaving any green fluid behind when you drive away after parking somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:26:27 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
Have not checked my levels recently, isn't that what all the little lights thingamajigs are for? :whistling:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »
Or possibly a loose belt, especially if it got wet, maybe not moving your water pump enough?  Being a cheapskate, I'd check coolant level, as chris said, and the belt first...

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »
Have not checked my levels recently, isn't that what all the little lights thingamajigs are for? :whistling:

Yes, but they're not always foolproof.  I think my car only measures the fluid level in the overflow tank and not what's actually in the radiator.  So I could have a full overflow tank and still be missing half my coolant.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 06:29:38 PM »
Ok, thanks!!! gotta do something.  I am going to get a ticket for not stopping :naughty:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »
Or possibly a loose belt, especially if it got wet, maybe not moving your water pump enough?  Being a cheapskate, I'd check coolant level, as chris said, and the belt first...

I'm lazy... I don't check my belts.  I probably should. :p

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 06:31:30 PM »
Could be a vacuum leak to the controller. Does the car idle rough or miss on acceleration?
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 06:32:59 PM »
How many miles do you have on your '04?

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »
Could be a vacuum leak to the controller. Does the car idle rough or miss on acceleration?

now sometimes when I take off it feels like the transmission jerks, is that what you mean by miss on acceleration? 

and I have about 145k on it

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of miles.  I would swap out the thermostat eventually.  You can get one for ten dollars and you can probably change it with nothing more than a screwdriver.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 06:41:07 PM »
now sometimes when I take off it feels like the transmission jerks, is that what you mean by miss on acceleration? 

Possibly.  I have a giant leak on my intake manifold and my car herks and jerks until you get past 20mph.  The symptoms would be similar.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
I had that same problem once. Worked fine as long as I was moving. I think it needed the heater core cleaned, a new thermostat and some coolant.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 06:46:47 PM »
I go through at least a gallon of coolant in a month.  I need a new radiator. :(

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »
Possibly.  I have a giant leak on my intake manifold and my car herks and jerks until you get past 20mph.  The symptoms would be similar.

yeh, it seems to do it in 1st gear, 2nd gear, and a little in 3rd gear then it's fine.  And it picks when it decides to do it. I'll go a straight 3 months with no jerk and then all of a sudden it starts jerking and then disappears again.  Hmmmmmm....and here I thought I wrecked my tranny

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »
I think if your transmission was behaving like that, you might have heard some other noises. 

Did I mention I loathe automatic transmissions?  Ugh.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 06:48:42 PM »
since starting this thread, I have had 3 bitchslaps. WTF?   :lmao:

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 06:49:15 PM »
Hopefully you dont hit the "tri-fecter" as I did. :)
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 06:50:04 PM »
since starting this thread, I have had 3 bitchslaps. WTF?   :lmao:

It's not me.  I've picked up two in the time it took me to drive home from work.  Maybe someone got their feelings hurt. :bawl:

There.  I gave you a +1 for giving me something to do.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 06:53:52 PM »
It's not me.  I've picked up two in the time it took me to drive home from work.  Maybe someone got their feelings hurt. :bawl:

There.  I gave you a +1 for giving me something to do.

There I gave you one back

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
do you hear the sound of fluid gurgling in the area of your glove box?  If so, you have a coolant leak somewhere in the system that is sucking in air when you turn off the car and the engine cools. The air gets trapped in the heater core causing the gurgling noise. 
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 08:14:41 PM »
Gina, in order of how I would diagnose this problem, if it were mine:

Coolant level

Thermostat

Intake manifold leak 

You can fiddle around with where you are directing the air, to see if it may be some sort of vacuum leak under the dash.  (try just your feet, then the windshield defrost, etc). 

I'm putting my money on an intake gasket failure, although for your sake, I hope it is as simple as coolant replenishment.  :cheersmate:

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 06:30:18 AM »
Thanks everyone!