Author Topic: Tools  (Read 5892 times)

Offline Gratiot

Re: Tools
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 05:10:38 PM »
Matco and snap on are very expensive and not worth the money unless you are a mechanic. Craftsman has gone down in quality but they have a lifetime replacement. As far as power tools...I spend the money for either makita or porter cable better quality and more power! I disagree with Thor...I think Ryobis are junk along with craftsman power tools...Have burned up both in my time! :-)

I'm in absolute agreement, Matco and Snap-On are not worth while, unless you're able to write them off on your taxes and using them for a living.  In those cases though... they often, not always, are worth the money.

Craftsman's little hassle, lifetime replacement plan, is certainly what makes them worthwhile.  I have a ton of their socket sets at home, but as Thor mentions they do round off bolts and break far too frequently.  For home use though, when time isn't an issue, I'll gladly take the savings and minor hassle of running to the nearest Sears for a replacement, with infrequently used socket sets.

Makita, Porter Cable, Bosch, Milwaukee (to some extent), and Dewalt all make great power tools.  At least until you pick up a Hilti :o

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 07:59:12 PM »
I use alot of "cheap" tools at work, eventhough it's my livlihood. PIttsburgh Forge, CT, ect..... for over 25 years. I've had Craftsman ratchets break before Husky's ever did. I do not believe in the Mattco, Snap-on, or
any other "must buy USA made" hype. Sorry, they haven't held up as well as the chicom, chiwanese or Japanese stuff.  I don't own my soul/paycheck to the Snap-off man either.

The "Pro" stuff at HF is pretty damn good, and you won't go broke.

I agree, it's absurd that some people are practically indentured to a tool truck bill.  Especially, guys just out of trade school, whom are already facing $15-20k tool loans from Snap-On... which isn't uncommon.  Without a doubt there are cheaper alternatives now, which is partly what I originally was trying to discuss with this thread.  While the majority of Chinese and Taiwan tools are very low end... they do have some very nice tools at quite reasonable prices, especially Taiwanese stuff like the Gearwrench brand.  In most cases, they are still night and day in quality from Snap-On and Matco... but who cares (in most applications), when they're still good to great tools at a reasonable price.

At the very least though, try picking up a few nice 4-5 degree, 80+ teeth, high quality ratchets... the smoothness is amazing!  Your hands will be thankful, if you're using them regularly.

I've never been a "Must Buy USA" person for anything, but I've been always inclined to lean towards locally made stuff or at the very least, from a reputable quality based country.

Craftsman and Husky are both generally designed to compete with each other now, so neither brand is going to be a particularly better quality buy, in general. 

I picked up an Allen wrench socket at Auto Zone on my way to the junkyard because it was convenient.  The second I put any torque on it, that stupid thing shredded into a dozen pieces.  I switched to the no-name forged Allen wrenches in my toolbox, which I should have done in the first place.  Stupid waste of money.

Allen tools are marketed by Danaher as their very entry level brand of tools, supposedly similar to Craftsman, but NOT Craftsman Pro.   

Most of my power-tools are Makita, mechanical tools like wrenches, spanners and socket sets are Bahco and non-powered carpentry tools are from Stanley.

How do you like the Bahco tools?  Since they're now a division of Snap-On, they're being marketed along side Williams in Snap-On's pseudo-industrial line.  I really don't have any experience with them though.

Hand tools I have mostly NAPA premium ones with some of their cheaper Evercraft stuff.
More specialized things are all across the board,torque wrench is an SK,dial indicators,bore gauges and calipers are various brands with some OTC specialty engine tools.

I have found MSC to be a good source of tools.

NAPA premium tools are contract manufactured, at times they've been some extremely high quality tools! 

S&K actually just went into liquidation, all of their factory tooling and equipment is currently up on some industrial auction sites.  I think Ideal bought the brand name though, and is planning on bringing them back to some extent. 

MSC's Saver fliers have phenomenal deals listed as loss leaders, always great for cherry picking!  Another good one is ToolTopia.com, it focuses more on auto repair tools but has some of the best prices online.  They also carry and discount many of the brand that relabel their stuff for Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell, Etc... HUGE savings, for the same tools with different colored handles  :whatever:

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 08:19:45 PM »

How do you like the Bahco tools?  Since they're now a division of Snap-On, they're being marketed along side Williams in Snap-On's pseudo-industrial line.  I really don't have any experience with them though.

Bahco are beautiful tools. Well made , ergonomic as is possible , precise in their fit and feel. Highly recommended if you want something that's nearly-as-good as Snap-ON but not as pricey. 

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 10:52:16 AM »
What? No Kobalt reviews?
I'm curious because they have the same warranty as Snap-on, Matco, Mac, Craftsman, ect and look to be decent tools. No one has any experience with them though?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 11:06:01 AM »
What? No Kobalt reviews?
I'm curious because they have the same warranty as Snap-on, Matco, Mac, Craftsman, ect and look to be decent tools. No one has any experience with them though?

I have a few of their hand tools, and my big-assed toolbox (probably close in size to Thor's mentioned upthread) works well.

No complaints from me about Kobalt.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.