Author Topic: Pool Maintenance  (Read 5554 times)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Pool Maintenance
« on: July 01, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »
If the deal comes through for the house I'm planning to purchase, I'm going to build a pool.  I've been researching pool maintenance and it seems like ALOT of work.  Is it a money pit?  Does it really take a lot of work?  Is hiring a pool maintenance service very expensive?

I LOVE to swim...I love pools....I think it's something I would enjoy...especially with a child.  I've always wanted a pool of my own....but I don't want to spend my weekends on maintenance.  There's a community pool that is well taken care of, so either way, we'll have a pool at our disposal...but having my own would be nice.
And I'm planning to add the fiber-optic lights and maybe a water feature...but no heater.

Sort of like this...but on a much smaller scale...

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:57:48 PM by Hawkgirl »

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Pool Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:59:54 PM »
A pool can be expensive. Especially if one has to open and close it. What I've found is that IF one keeps the chemicals  at the proper levels and vacuums it at least weekly, it's not so bad. If it gets out of control....... that's a whole 'nother story!! One of those robot pool vacuums are worth their weight in gold IF you get a good one.  I spent roughly $500/ year just on chemicals for my pool and that was IF I didn't have problems.

If you have no mechanical abilities......... I would suggest that you hire it done. My Ex couldn't even figure out how to hook up the vacuum without cavitating the pump.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:03:27 PM »
The pool would be open year round.  I live in South Florida...it may not be used as much in January and February...but I don't think I'd need to close it for just 2 months.

Do you love your pool?  Do you enjoy it?  Do you wish you didn't have one?  Oh and yeah, I'd get that Sharp vacuum for pool cleaning.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:09:38 PM »
We figured out we did a better job than the pool company did getting the pool ready to close up and to open up, and have been doing it for the last 4 yrs.

We have one of the cleaners that is powered by a hose connected to the filter....his name is Sherman. He was expensive, but like Thor said, worth his weight in gold.

You can learn to do it yourself.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 09:12:37 PM »
The brand name is Sherman?

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 09:15:43 PM »
BTW...do you have a gunite pool or vinyl?

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 09:21:05 PM »
When I lived in Florida I noticed that most pools were enclosed in sun rooms -- definitely the way to go if you can swing it.  It will keep your maintenance costs down considerably. 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 09:23:23 PM »
Do you love your pool?  Do you enjoy it?  Do you wish you didn't have one?  Oh and yeah, I'd get that Sharp vacuum for pool cleaning.

We had a pool at our last house -- loved it.   Prior to having kids though.   My oldest is 8 and my twins are now 6.  All good swimmers, so we just started having  the conversation about installing a pool.   Totally worth it if you are going to use it (with a child, you will definitely use it).

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »
The brand name is Sherman?

No....I named him Sherman. He has a personality all his own. Particularly when he attaches himself on top of the drains... :uhsure:

He's made by Polaris.....

gunite.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 11:13:41 PM »
Be have built two pools and had a total of three. The house we live in now has one. They are a pain in the ass.  Our second pool we built cost us $40k, I can't remember what our first pool cost.  You won't get your money out of it.  Then you have landscaping, deck, patio furniture, etc.  We didn't have a slide, diving board or anything fancy.  Also both times we built our yards were flat, if your yard isn't flat there will be more expense.  We did have a beach entry and a hot tub.  Running the pump everyday is like having an extra A/C unit as far as the electric bill goes.  Then you have the maintenance costs.

My husband takes the filter apart and cleans it when it needs it or backwashes the filter depending on the system we had. We have never had pool maintenance company. We have had different systems on each pool. Salt in one we built and the one we have now. We had some mineral system in our first pool that sucked and we had to dump shock in it all the time. We decided to go with a regular chlorine system with our second pool then decided to put in a salt system. All of our pool sweeps/vac have sucked. We bought a second one for our second pool. None of them reached the whole surface area of the pool.

I would never build a pool again and we weren't looking for one when we bought this house. My youngest does use it all the time and also swam in our last pool all the time too.  After saying all of that, if you still want to build one I will share with you things I did/do didn't/don't like about the pools we have/had.  
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:27:09 PM by BEG »

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 11:22:56 PM »
I also want to note that that $40k was in the beginning of 2002. I have no idea what it would cost to build it today. Also you wouldn't have to close your pool in Fl. We didn't have to close ours in Dallas. We had a freeze protector on both pools that went on nightly (sometimes daily) when we would get freezing weather.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 09:53:44 AM »
BEG, I may be hitting you up for advice.  That's IF I get the house.  I will probably not build one this year....but next.  ( I want to do the granite first)
I was thinking about a salt system that has a cholorine generator....I have no idea which is more expensive.  I also hear the Bromine tables are better than the cholorine.  I won't have a hot tub because I don't think I'll have the room for one.  The house already has a very large screened in porch which I will leave as is.  The pool will be built outside of the porch...I may have to rip out a mango and papaya tree because there are restrictions as too how many feet you can build from the lake.  I'm thinking a 18' by 36' pool with a 4 foot deck (just enough for lounge chairs) and then I want one side of the pool to have a water feature.  Maybe 3 feet up from the pool.

Sort of like this...maybe with one, instead of the two pictured here..

For the deck, to save money, I would do a cool deck or a stamped concrete deck that's made to look like stone.

I would do a simple iron fence...that wouldn't obstruct the lake view around the perimeter of the pool.

In Florida, the pool companies are competitive because there are so many.  I want to go with a small company where the owners are around for the entire process.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 09:58:01 AM »
I also want to note that that $40k was in the beginning of 2002. I have no idea what it would cost to build it today. Also you wouldn't have to close your pool in Fl. We didn't have to close ours in Dallas. We had a freeze protector on both pools that went on nightly (sometimes daily) when we would get freezing weather.

It never freezes here, so I don't have to worry..lol

I was thinking of spending 25-30K  I want a simple entry with stairs and a banner...but I do want some sort of "seating' in the pool...I don't know what they call it....I also want those mosaic tropical fish design they install at the bottom of the pool. 

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 04:36:07 PM »
In Becker, MN, I had an above ground pool with an expandable vinyl liner. It had a depth of just over 6 ft. Installed, with the pool heater and everything cost some $15K. Then....... there was another $15K spent on the wooden deck around it. (Me and the extended family built it, so imagine what the contracted cost would be.) I wouldn't go with bromine as I tried that with our hot tub (per CalSpas recommendation) It was bugger to keep clean. I shifted over to chlorine and had ZERO problems after that. I would go with the salt system. I've heard that it's the best. If not salt, then chlorine. Also, stay the hell away from any pool pump that doesn't use diatomataceous earth or sand. Those paper filters require replacing/ cleaning far too often. At least that's my opinion, for what it's worth. I could let my sand filter go for three years before changing out the sand. That said, I usually changed the sand out every two, just because I'm that anal about things. Pool maintenance is definitely a learning experience.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 10:56:54 AM »
Salt pools are easier and cheaper to maintain than free-chlorine ones. The only problem is they are corrosive to the mechanisms of the filtration system.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline bkg

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 09:07:50 PM »
In Becker, MN,

Dude... 10:1 says you know my uncle and cousins...  :o :o

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 10:00:29 AM »
I admire anyone who is willing to put up with the maintenance, etc., associated with pools.

In the past 11 years, I've bought 4 homes and sold 3 of them.

Once I find out there's a pool associated with a house, that's an AUTOMATIC deal-breaker.

I won't even discuss it.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 10:14:42 AM »
I admire anyone who is willing to put up with the maintenance, etc., associated with pools.

In the past 11 years, I've bought 4 homes and sold 3 of them.

Once I find out there's a pool associated with a house, that's an AUTOMATIC deal-breaker.

I won't even discuss it.

A lot of people here are the same way.

When we (REaltors) evaluate a house for pricing...pools really don't add any value, simply because it's only going to be valuable to someone who wants one. I've taken buyers to houses that were just perfect for them, but there was a pool and it was an immediate negative. They didn't want to worry about their young children drowning, nor did they want the maintenance.

I'm sure they add value in an area that a pool can be used almost year round though.

I know when my brother was looking for a new place in the Chicago area last year, they had no interest in getting a pool. He said it wasn't worth to them for just 3 months.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »
I am really not to keen in the whole maintenance thing.  I'm going to find out how much the pool companies here charge.  If it's reasonable...then I'd let someone else do it.  I'd pay up to $150-200/month.  But not more than that.

I

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 12:15:01 PM »
I am really not to keen in the whole maintenance thing.  I'm going to find out how much the pool companies here charge.  If it's reasonable...then I'd let someone else do it.  I'd pay up to $150-200/month.  But not more than that.

I

If you get a Polaris cleaner, all you have to do, daily,  is skim the leaves/bugs out that the Polaris doesn't get...which is minimal and check the skimmer for critters. We put 4-6 chlorine cylinders in 1 or 2x a week, "shock" it once a week unless we've had a lot of rain, and pool clarifier as needed. And clean out the Polaris's "bag" when needed. You can do that!!!

It's about $80 for a thing of chlorine cylinders, at Walmart (Sam's only carries the crystals here). We're still on our first one for this season and we opened the pool early May. I get the Shock and pool clarifier at Walmart too. Shock is about $25 for 5 bags, and the clarifier is $17 or $18 that works for about 4-6 times. 

We have a bunch of hardwoods around 2 sides of the pool, and tall thick bushes along the back, so we get a lot of leaves in the pool. We also have frogs that, no matter how many croak (pun intended) in the pool, their buddies don't seem to learn it's a death trap for them. And spiders that know how to swim ( :censored: ). If you don't have any of those things...you will have even less to do.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 12:29:40 PM »
How often do you run the Polaris?  No trees in the backyard, other than palm trees, so no leaves to worry about...but MANY critters...frogs, lizards, and bugs in Florida...

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
How often do you run the Polaris?  No trees in the backyard, other than palm trees, so no leaves to worry about...but MANY critters...frogs, lizards, and bugs in Florida...

We run our pool sweep daily.  We leave it in the pool and when the pool pump comes on it comes on.  We take it out of the pool when the kids want to swim.  We have one now that doesn't run like the polaris, our two previous pools had polaris pool vacuums.  We didn't check the skimmer basket daily like deb does, we must have been slobs.  We have found mice and other things in the skimmer basket so I never reach my hand down in one.  That is my husband's job.   :p.  You can put extra chlorine tablets (that look like the kind you put in your toilet tank) in your skimmer basket for additional chlorination, even if you go with the salt system (which all a salt systems does is produce chlorine out of the salt).  We put the extra chlorine tablets in the skimmer when it would get really hot out and my kids were swimming a lot.  You can also get one of those floater things that you put the chlorine tablets in.  I usually put one of those in the hot tub.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »

We leave Sherman in the pool all the time, just pull him over to the side when swimming laps.

M cleans out the skimmer and there's almost always a frog in it. In the beginning of the season, it's not unusual to find a small snake....which is another reason I don't even take the lid off!!! :o :o :o It doesn't have to be emptied out every day, nor does Sherman's "bag"....just when needed.

The chlorine tablets go in the skimmer....they are about 3" long and 1.5" in diameter.

We've had a real problem with "yellow mustard" in ours....I think it's some kind of fungus or something like that. Since we took over doing it, instead of the pool company....we haven't had it back at all. (knock on wood) We were told it has something to do with all the trees we have....lots of maple and oak....and the frogs.

We empty it every fall(put an electric pump in the deep end), put the cover on it(we have one of those green ones that supposedly an elephant can stand on). Then first part of April, if the weather is nice enough....we take the cover off, pump out all the water...usually it's at least half full again of really nasty water!! Pressure wash the whole thing, pump out that water, then wet vac the rest out. Then refill it. It's been working really well...this was the 4th winter we've done it this way.

When the pool company did it, they'd pull of about a foot or so of water, throw some chemicals in, and cover it. In the spring, they'd tell us to flip a corner up, and fill it up to the tiles, throw a bunch of chemicals in and tell us it was fine. Ha!! The last time we had them, the yellow mustard got so bad, we had to empy in mid season, they came and acid washed it, we refilled it, and we still had problems.... :censored: $300-350 a trip.  :censored: :censored: :censored:

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »
Deb, your way definetly sounds more sanitary.

I wouldn't close the pool at all.  The bank is sending someone out to do a BPO next week.  Not that I'll have answer...but at least I know the process is moving along.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 08:31:38 AM »
Yes I do agree that salt pools are more cheaper to maintain.FHA loans are available to anybody but are used most often by first-time home buyers and low- to moderate-income buyers.FHA loans have competitive interest rates because the loans are insured by the Federal Government.

Sniff.....Do I smell "Odor of Spam"?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.