Author Topic: Friggen appliances and stupid repairmen  (Read 10555 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Friggen appliances and stupid repairmen
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »
SO we have some fancy appliances in the house we bought.  We have a kitchenaid built in refrigerator that has the cabinet inserts so it looks like the cabinets,  Fisher & Paykel drawer (two of them) dishwasher, Viking gas cooktop, Viking double ovens, a stupid microwave and then a wine fridge.  I HATE THEM ALL.  

First the fridge.  I do like that it has the cabinet inserts so I don't have to clean the stainless steel all day every day like I did my old fridge.  I DON'T like that it doesn't have ice in the door (or water...the filtered water is a separate thing on the sink which takes up space under the sink which pisses me off).  I don't like how shallow it is because it is cabinet deep instead of the depth of a regular fridge. We brought our garage fridge THANK GOD otherwise we wouldn't have room to keep drinks on top of food in the fridge.

Next the dishwashers.  I do like that the front of them have cabinet inserts as my old dishwasher was stainless steel and a PITA to keep streak free.  Why they even thought of making dishwashers stainless steel I'll never know.  Water and stainless steel appliances don't mix.  You can only use powdered dishwashing detergent.  I did not know that until I had used a whole bottle of liquid.  Why you can only use powder I do not know, oh you can't use the packet thingies either.  I do like that I can run one at a time as to not waste water running a regular dishwasher that is only half full.   It seems awkward to load so I think I can't get as much in the same amount of space as I could in my old dishwasher.  Also water sits in the bottom, under the arm thingy (I don't know what it's called) that is covered by a round stainless steel piece. I thought at first something was wrong but I looked it up and it apparently is suppose to be like that.   :mental:

The cook top is the bane of my existence.  For such an expensive stove I can not get it to just simmer.  It has three different size burners (for a total of six burners) but none of them truly simmer.  If I am making soup I will take it off the larger burner and move it to the smaller one and I can almost get a simmer.  In my opinion it is just above simmer which drives me nuts.  The biggest thing that bothers me with this stove is to clean it.  EVERY time I use it I have to remove all of the grates and clean it.  I can't just clean one area because grease and other things splatter all over the friggen thing and with stainless steel you can't simply just wipe grease away with a sponge and a paper towel.  You have to wipe it with a sponge then dry it off then use stainless steel cleaner or it will look like shit.  Also I can't remove the knobs to clean under them...WTH?

The wine fridge isn't really bad except that I could use the extra cabinet as the kitchen is a little on the small side.  The microwave is SS and is situated at just the wrong angle that it shows every finger print and scratch. It also has a "touch panel" that has a texture on it that is coming off on the buttons that are used the most.  It looks like crap.  

The ovens are stainless steel too and they seem to be a different type of SS than my old oven and microwave.  They are a bitch to clean and keep from looking grubby.  Two of the knobs will come off to clean but I can't get the other ones off.  When we moved in the bottom oven got stuck every time you tried to open it.  We only opened it a few times before it got stuck permanently.  When you set the self clean mode it automatically locks the doors.  I'm sure it is this mechanism that is screwed up.  When you turn on the self clean cycle and then turn it off you can hear the self lock keep trying to turn so I'm sure that is where the problem is.

The oven problem is where I bring in the stupid repairman.  We called the home shield insurance (or what ever it's called) for them to send someone out to fix the oven and one of the dishwashers.  First the man comes in a car...not a truck with parts.  I should have known by that alone that he didn't know what he was doing.  Next he smelled....really bad.  I'm talking so bad that he left a lingering odor that I can not explain.  It wasn't BO is was something else.  Next SPEAK UNDERSTANDABLE ENGLISH PLEASE.  He was middle eastern I think, I'm not sure but I could not understand a word he said.  He did the same things we did in trying to get the bottom oven door open.  He couldn't get it open.  Then he asked me for the model number.  I told him I didn't have it, it isn't listed on the manual (which is really really stupid) and guess where the manual says the model number is........on the door on the BOTTOM oven.  He didn't believe me so I went and got the manual and he reads where it says the model number is on the bottom oven door and he informs me that it is on the bottom oven door which I have already told him TWICE that that was where it was.  He then said (at least I think he said) that he couldn't get it open and since he didn't have the model number he can't fix it.  So I'm like, "So you are saying you can't fix my oven with out the model number?" and he just stood there looking at me like he didn't understand what I said.  

To add insult to injury the dishwasher is not fixed either.  When you run that dishwasher it is really loud and doesn't sound right.  When my husband called we had the model number, serial number and my husband told them what he thought was wrong with it and the part that needed to be replaced.  First when the guy was getting ready to leave he told me that nothing was wrong with the dishwasher.  I said YES there is.  Then he goes over to the other dishwasher to prove to me nothing is wrong with it.  I then tell him that he was looking at the wrong one.  Then he looks at the other one (makes a HUGE mess of my just cleaned sink) and said yes there is something wrong with it.  So I leave him in the kitchen for a few minutes and come back.  He is gathering all his stuff and getting ready to leave.  He tells me I owe him $60.  I asked him if he at least fixed the dishwasher.  He told me he couldn't fix the dishwasher because he didn't have the part.  My husband told them what part they would probably need, why didn't he bring it with him?  So now I am $60 poorer and my dishwasher is still screwed and my oven door is still stuck.  I think he is ordering the part and will be back some day but I can't be for sure because I couldn't understand what he was saying.  I can't read the receipt either so I can't even read the notes he wrote.

He made a total mess out of my JUST cleaned kitchen too.  Grimy handprints all over my ovens, water EVERYWHERE and he must of had stuff on his shoe because I have muddy footprints all over my floor too.  

Well I had to get that out, I feel better now.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:54:53 PM by BEG »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Friggen appliances and stupid repairmen
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
When we lived in California, our house had high-end appliances in it as well.....just wait until you have to pay for them to be repaired.........(in 1989) it cost me $600 to have a door hinge replaced on a "Sub Zero" refrigerator.....lord knows what it would cost today......

Never again.......we stick to Whirlpool or GE......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »
When we lived in California, our house had high-end appliances in it as well.....just wait until you have to pay for them to be repaired.........(in 1989) it cost me $600 to have a door hinge replaced on a "Sub Zero" refrigerator.....lord knows what it would cost today......

Never again.......we stick to Whirlpool or GE......

doc

We had GE profile fridge, oven and microwave (both Advantium) , kitchenaid smooth cooktop (no knobs) and a kitchenaid dishwasher in our old house.  I would go back to those appliances in a heart beat.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
http://glamorous.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008824046109/pdtl/Shoe-care/1014693004/Shoe-Care-Product.htm

These are wonderful for stainless steel fingerprinty junk and stuff.  They work on chrome too.  One quick pass and *poof* no prints or water stains.

I found this out by accident when I brought one home from a hotel room.  I was unpacking my acquired coffee stash when the shoe shine sponge came out.  I thought to myself, "Self, what can we use this for?".  Myself said to try it in the stainless steel on the front of the coffeemaker.  It was also SO bad.

It worked.  It made the darn thing look like it had never been touched by human hands.  I then started using the sponge around the kitchen.  It made the faucet shine too.    

I now consider it a must have thing.  

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
You have two dishwashers?  I do too.  Good old left hand and right hand, they never let me down.   :rotf:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 02:17:19 PM »
http://glamorous.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008824046109/pdtl/Shoe-care/1014693004/Shoe-Care-Product.htm

These are wonderful for stainless steel fingerprinty junk and stuff.  They work on chrome too.  One quick pass and *poof* no prints or water stains.

I found this out by accident when I brought one home from a hotel room.  I was unpacking my acquired coffee stash when the shoe shine sponge came out.  I thought to myself, "Self, what can we use this for?".  Myself said to try it in the stainless steel on the front of the coffeemaker.  It was also SO bad.

It worked.  It made the darn thing look like it had never been touched by human hands.  I then started using the sponge around the kitchen.  It made the faucet shine too.    

I now consider it a must have thing.  

Since I had SS appliances in our other house I have several years of trying to find something to clean SS.  I found that the easiest and cheapest thing is plain old olive oil but even that it a bitch to buff out and get a perfect streak and smudge free finish.  There has to be a secret that they professionals aren't telling us.  I may try your new miracle cure and let you know if I try it.  

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 02:19:14 PM »
You have two dishwashers?  I do too.  Good old left hand and right hand, they never let me down.   :rotf:

BEG has to have two dishwashers in order to make up for that pesky pea under her mattress.    :lmao:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 02:19:42 PM »

LMAO at first I thought you were really saying you had two dishwashers so I replied by asking a question about them then I realized just as I posted that you were being sarcastic.   :rotf:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 02:20:21 PM »
BEG has to have two dishwashers in order to make up for that pesky pea under her mattress.    :lmao:

My life is so rough.....*sigh*

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »
Since I had SS appliances in our other house I have several years of trying to find something to clean SS.  I found that the easiest and cheapest thing is plain old olive oil but even that it a bitch to buff out and get a perfect streak and smudge free finish.  There has to be a secret that they professionals aren't telling us.  I may try your new miracle cure and let you know if I try it.  

Go to your nearest GM car dealership.....find the parts department, and ask for a can of their aerosol "Glass Cleaner"......works great on SS as well as glass.

doc

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 02:21:34 PM »

You'll be a-wantin' to crawl through the monitor and give me a big-o wet smooch....I swear.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »
I took a couple of pictures of my dishwasher to show you all that they aren't two full size dishwashers, put together they make one regular size dishwasher.  I do like that I don't have to bend over to load/unload them.

I took these two pictures with my phone so they are kind of crappy.

Here you can kind of see that they are on both sides of the sink (you only see the corner of the other dishwasher, the one that has something wrong with it).  This picture was taken when we moved in and I wasn't trying to take a picture of the dishwashers at the time.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 03:20:42 PM »
Gee....compared....our kitchen....is so......so.....HUD.   :bawl:

(In our old townhouse, we had a top-loader dishwasher.  I liked it.  It looked a lot like yours on the inside.  Funny how things like that don't change all that much over time.  That townhouse dishwasher would be 35 years old now.)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »
BEG ....call the insurance company and complain. You should only have to pay for one service call. They have several service people on contract...just tell them you want someone who speaks English as a first language and knows what they are doing....to not send you someone that doesn't.

One of the things those companies pride themselves on, is customer service. That's how they get us Realtors to use their product.

As far as the SS stuff is concerned....I bought some SS spray that seems to work pretty well....but with only two of us....fingerprints aren't a big issue.

You should have simmer on at least a couple of burners.....I have it on mine. When it's on simmer, there is only flame on the inside of the small center ring. Low has flame on both the inside and outside of the center ring.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 03:38:23 PM »
BEG ....call the insurance company and complain. You should only have to pay for one service call. They have several service people on contract...just tell them you want someone who speaks English as a first language and knows what they are doing....to not send you someone that doesn't.

One of the things those companies pride themselves on, is customer service. That's how they get us Realtors to use their product.

As far as the SS stuff is concerned....I bought some SS spray that seems to work pretty well....but with only two of us....fingerprints aren't a big issue.

You should have simmer on at least a couple of burners.....I have it on mine. When it's on simmer, there is only flame on the inside of the small center ring. Low has flame on both the inside and outside of the center ring.

My husband is going to call and complain.  I feel bad because for all I know he may know what he is doing and plans on fixing our oven but I couldn't understand anything he said so I'm left feeling unsure of what just happened. 

All of my burners have a simmer setting they just seem too hot for simmer.  My smooth top had a simmer setting, a keep warm setting and a melt and hold setting besides the normal settings and they all worked exactly like you thought they should. 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 03:40:30 PM »
The repairmen have to report back to the insurance company, so they will know what he did and plans on doing.

Once you get used to the gas cooktop, you will really like it.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
The repairmen have to report back to the insurance company, so they will know what he did and plans on doing.

Once you get used to the gas cooktop, you will really like it.

I had gas in our house before our previous house but not an expensive cooktop like the Viking.  It didn't even have a simmer setting.  I do like how quick it heats up and boils water.  I'm sure I will end up liking it eventually.  Oh the SS stuff I use is called ZAP (I think).  It works pretty well it's just hard to get it looking "perfect" and I am OCD when it comes to stuff like this.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 03:48:16 PM »
Gee....compared....our kitchen....is so......so.....HUD.   :bawl:

(In our old townhouse, we had a top-loader dishwasher.  I liked it.  It looked a lot like yours on the inside.  Funny how things like that don't change all that much over time.  That townhouse dishwasher would be 35 years old now.)

When I was young and we had a top-loader.  I can't even remember what it looked like inside.  It had a butcher block top on it and my Mom would bring it over to the sink every time she used it. 

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 03:55:02 PM »
When I was young and we had a top-loader.  I can't even remember what it looked like inside.  It had a butcher block top on it and my Mom would bring it over to the sink every time she used it. 

That's what ours was, 'cept I had it tied into the water and drain.  We didn't have to roll it around.  We just had to turn around.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 04:23:07 PM »
BEG there is something I found at Bed/Bath/Beyond for SS appliances. I just bought it and will have to find out what it's called.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 04:39:12 PM »
Found the model number, I'm so smart.  http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/DEDO130.html

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 07:25:58 PM »
Simple fix...

Replace them all with stuff you like.

"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 07:31:26 PM »
BEG there is something I found at Bed/Bath/Beyond for SS appliances. I just bought it and will have to find out what it's called.

Sheesh--BBB--the gay man's Home Depot.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »
LOL Sparky! Yep...
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 08:23:56 PM »
Simple fix...

Replace them all with stuff you like.

Not a simple fix when you are already house poor. Besides I don't think I could just get rid of perfectly good appliances. I did it in our other house but I gave my old appliances to my mom.