Author Topic: steam cleaners and flu  (Read 6839 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
steam cleaners and flu
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:07:18 AM »
   I been wanting to get one of these do-hickies for years and kept putting it off.  Good old Pine Soil was good enough.

Now however with the flu season about to become a very big problem I have been pricing the hand held dry steam cleaners.

Before I drop $130.00 shipping and handling charge on something I have never owned before, do any of you own one,?

Some of the adds have questionable points, I can not believe that this method of cleaning will retard bacteria for 2 weeks as one stated.

Like antibiotics if I kill all the bacteria, then the bad stuff comes back first and may kill the good stuff we need.   Will dry steam kill viruses.??

Will I be wasting my money on some gadjet that will free me from using all those chemicals to clean, darn but when I look under the kitchen sink all I have are chemicals, it would be great to get rid of them .

I put this question out on another forum and one person told me that they have a unite and no longer wash dishes, the scrape them clean then steam them.  I suppose that works.

Offline Gratiot

Re: steam cleaners and flu
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:54:24 PM »
I'd be shocked if you couldn't head into a Bed Bath and Beyond, or similar place, and find one for half that price. 

They work great for cleaning, the cleaning power is amazing.  As for sanitization... they will essentially, but it's not very practical.  You're simply not going to hold the sprayer over the spot for the ten-fifteen(?) minutes or so it can take. 

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 07:57:06 AM »
I'd be shocked if you couldn't head into a Bed Bath and Beyond, or similar place, and find one for half that price. 

They work great for cleaning, the cleaning power is amazing.  As for sanitation... they will essentially, but it's not very practical.  You're simply not going to hold the sprayer over the spot for the ten-fifteen(?) minutes or so it can take. 

Well Grat, I in a moment of lust for a new toy bought one of them, Orec and it was so pricey it had better work.

It came in a box with pictures that showed what it can do.

Unpacked the thing and found bunches of other stuff, some I recognised, some were strange to me.

With all this stuff I turned to the instruction book-------there were 2 attachments not even mentioned in the how to use.  The company needs to put out a CD on how to use everything.

I so carefully used a one liter bottle that had held water to measure the amount needed-----It was 30 minutes later that I saw a big clear bubble on the side to show what the water fill was.     GRRRRRR.

I have a very large kitchen depending where you live 14x14 floor space.  The plastic flooring whatever has nubs and it is 14 years old.     Even using the top of the line cleaning method still left stuff in the nubs that after over a decade would not come out.

I was afraid to try this out alone and without Hubby to yell at me.     But I gathered up courage and reved the darn thing up.

The first cleaning took a good 2 years off the floor, second another 2 years.   It is going to take a few weeks but I see that instead of spending a fortune for flooring with some patience one can clean the old to new.

Tonight I will when Hubby comes home steam clean the mattress and bedding.  For some reason this area is being hit very hard with BED BUGS.     

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 01:13:36 PM »
Well Grat, I in a moment of lust for a new toy bought one of them, Orec and it was so pricey it had better work.

It came in a box with pictures that showed what it can do.

{snip}
The first cleaning took a good 2 years off the floor, second another 2 years.   It is going to take a few weeks but I see that instead of spending a fortune for flooring with some patience one can clean the old to new.

Tonight I will when Hubby comes home steam clean the mattress and bedding.  For some reason this area is being hit very hard with BED BUGS.     

:confused:

Bedding and bed bugs?  There is some cause and effect mystery here?

Whoa Vesta, you really got bed bugs.  I don't think I would be steam cleaning 'em.  I think I would be going heavy duty with the folk from Monsanto (you know, the chemical people ) :-)  How embarassing.  What's next head lice??   :whatever:   Seriously, I had heard there were bed bugs in the area but I would think treating it more like a flea infestation would be the way to go.  Yikes,  think I will google this one later when I have more time.

pb
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
:confused:

Bedding and bed bugs?  There is some cause and effect mystery here?

Whoa Vesta, you really got bed bugs.  I don't think I would be steam cleaning 'em.  I think I would be going heavy duty with the folk from Monsanto (you know, the chemical people ) :-)  How embarassing.  What's next head lice??   :whatever:   Seriously, I had heard there were bed bugs in the area but I would think treating it more like a flea infestation would be the way to go.  Yikes,  think I will google this one later when I have more time.

pb

Bed bugs had been in the news quite a bit this summer, mainly being problems for places that have multiple tenants, dorms, hotels, and whatnot.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 03:33:28 PM »
Bed bugs had been in the news quite a bit this summer, mainly being problems for places that have multiple tenants, dorms, hotels, and whatnot.

If you travel much....I would think they would be easy to get from staying in hotels.

Ever seen any of those segments they do on TV where someone has gone into reputable hotels and checked for germs, bacteria, etc. Soooooooooo gross! :o

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 03:37:48 PM »

If you travel much....I would think they would be easy to get from staying in hotels.

Ever seen any of those segments they do on TV where someone has gone into reputable hotels and checked for germs, bacteria, etc. Soooooooooo gross! :o

Most of those hotel rooms light up more than the crime scenes on CSI.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 03:39:32 PM »

Yes I have, and that is gross.  Back on President's Day, 2006 I travelled to Memphis from Dallas on I-40.  Now, we knew there would be weather, so I suggested we go I-20 to Jackson and up, but NOOOOOOO....everyone said it would take too long.  Yeah, they closed down I-40 because of ice and we were very fortunate to get a room in a Super 8 in Binkley, AR, which was a much better alternative than sleeping in our car.  At any rate, because of said ice storm, they had no cleaning crew there, and they were quite up front with it.  They handed us clean towels, they had run out of clean linens.  It was GROSS.  Needless to say, we did NOT turn down the sheets.  I had a blanket in the car, and used that on top of the bed.  Thankfully, I had the presence of mind to insist on making a stop at the liquor store before we stopped at the hotel.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 01:36:30 AM »
Yes I have, and that is gross.  Back on President's Day, 2006 I travelled to Memphis from Dallas on I-40.  Now, we knew there would be weather, so I suggested we go I-20 to Jackson and up, but NOOOOOOO....everyone said it would take too long.  Yeah, they closed down I-40 because of ice and we were very fortunate to get a room in a Super 8 in Binkley, AR, which was a much better alternative than sleeping in our car.  At any rate, because of said ice storm, they had no cleaning crew there, and they were quite up front with it.  They handed us clean towels, they had run out of clean linens.  It was GROSS.  Needless to say, we did NOT turn down the sheets.  I had a blanket in the car, and used that on top of the bed.  Thankfully, I had the presence of mind to insist on making a stop at the liquor store before we stopped at the hotel.

NO_NO I don't have bed bugs just trying NOT to get them.  Dust mites are another biggie I fear. 

AH Iassa, I hope you did not sleep on the comforter, a program on TV with one of those sperm hunting lights found that because of prostitution that is the nasty place in the room.

Worse place I ever spent the night was in Nevada on my honeymoon.  The double bed had a plastic sheet from the foot of the bed about 2 1/2 feet up the comforter.  Hubby told me that was to keep the comforter clean because some men never bothered to remove their shoes. 

I picked up this tip from a BBC program, bring a sleeping bag and wrap up in that. don't bring it in the house when you come home take it be dry cleaned.  Never sit on a bed fully clothed, who knows what you can pick up be it roaches in a locker room at the gym or flees from the people brush up against you.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 10:01:53 AM »
Heck no!  I put the blanket on top of the bed and laid on it, didn't use the pillow either.  It was gross.  But warm.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 10:58:33 AM »

I use this on the ceramic tile and hardwood -- disinfects and cleans without chemicals BUT I use chemicals with it.     

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 11:04:20 AM »

I use this on the ceramic tile and hardwood -- disinfects and cleans without chemicals BUT I use chemicals with it.     

Is this the Shark one? Do you like it?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »
Is this the Shark one? Do you like it?

It is, and I do like it a lot as it cleans my floors spotless with steamed hot water.   I have been using lysol though lately because of the flu germs, but you really don't need it.     I have someone who comes once a week to clean and while she does like it, she did comment the padding is soft so it really doesn't do scrubbing required for the  stuff that is stuck on the floor (I have three boys under 7 so you can imagine).    It does however loosen it considerably to  the point that you can carry a cloth with you and immediately wipe it up as you go.     

If you have kids who are crawling I highly recommend it -- super clean floors with zero chemicals.    I like it because the mop is always sterile when you grab it to use (comes with two pads that you toss right into the washer), and the floors clean quickly and thoroughly. 

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 11:22:54 AM »
I like my Shark, but the terrycloth pads are a pain in the butt to keep clean.  I ordered extra pads.  I've found it's good for cleaning up dirt stains, dried blood, and oil.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 01:25:37 PM »
I've been looking at them and glad to know that someone likes them.

I have brick floors and they are a pain in the patoot to clean, with all the little nooks and crannies in the brick and mortar.

I've used my carpet cleaner (with the scrub attachment) but I worry that it wears down the brick, and it does put a lot of water on them. It goes through the soap solution really fast and I have to then do it with clean water. From the looks of the water, I know it's pulling a lot of brick particles up, too.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 01:50:34 PM »
I like my Shark, but the terrycloth pads are a pain in the butt to keep clean.  I ordered extra pads.  I've found it's good for cleaning up dirt stains, dried blood, and oil.
Dude, dried blood? Cleaning isn't your biggest problem then. :rofl:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 01:52:56 PM »
Dude, dried blood? Cleaning isn't your biggest problem then. :rofl:

Better than NON dried blood???

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
You wouldn't believe the enormous mess warts make when you slice them off with a razor.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 02:02:13 PM »
You wouldn't believe the enormous mess warts make when you slice them off with a razor.

Thanks.  I needed that.  NOT.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »
That steam cleaner picked it right up! :lmao:

I want one of those high-pressure steam jet cleaner.  Those look like fun.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 04:10:11 PM »
holy crap dude. :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 02:55:56 AM »
When I see the hand held steam cleaners being used on counters, drapes, etc...I think of the risk of 2nd degree steam burns...

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 02:56:49 AM »

Just don't ask him about what body part the warts were attached to!  :-)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 03:40:26 AM »

Mantra for parents with young boys, " Don't bleed on the carpet go in the kitchen."

In cold climates when the furnace is first turned on the air becomes very dry, some people get nose bleeds until the humidifiers are in place.

Kitchen accidents with a small knife cutting veges, or cut shaving a beard in the bathroom.  

Females of child baring age deal with the blood issue every 30 days, If there are 3 females in the home, mom and 2 teenage girls, then the odds are one of them will eventually have an accident.

Human blood is a fact of life for most of us, it can be dangerous to our health and very hard to remove from carpets, floors, clothing and mattress.  

Even with no children and a male if you own a dog or cat you may have to eventually have to deal with a hurt pet.  

These steam cleaners are especially good at cleaning up the accidents in life, I use peroxide with the steam just to make sure -----also have my Hep shots.

I wish these cleaners were made much smaller so I could take one when I stay a few days in a hotel.   The bathrooms look immaculate, but are they ?

OK, this is something new, I know 20 years ago I would not have given it too much thought, today I wash off the tops of canned goods I buy, soak fresh vegetables before use, all clothing we buy that is not in-closed in a plastic bag I run the steamer over, the washer and drier gets a good blast of steam, all outside shoes and boots get a quick blast as does the floors and seats in my autos.

Will this actually keep me healthy.?   Who knows but at least I know I have given it my best shot, Good old steam, the buggies cannot become immune to it as they do with some cleaners, and antibacterial soaps.

This all comes from having a family member having a tooth pulled and getting a dry socket, up shot was with in just 2 weeks they were diagnosed with Phemigus, a disease that was seldom seen in the last 1.500 years. From web sites I find this is emerging back into our world by leaps and bounds.  Was it the dry socket that released the hidden and inactive disease or was it the fact that my family member had spent the summer in Florida rubbing shoulders with people from all over the world ?

I remember picking my baby's pacifier off the floor and putting it in my mouth to remove foreign bacteria.  I remember eating raw eggs, raw hamburger, half cooked meats at BBQS and borrowing a friends comb, lipstick or eye makeup with no problem.  I remember nursing and changing chucks of incontinent patients with NO gloves, getting blood tests by Techs wearing no gloves.  Sure we washed our hands after the procedure but just one small opening in the skin from a fly should have made us very  ill--- not.

We use to drink the water from cold springs with no problem.  EMTS or the police never wore gloves, nor did the Doctor who examined me for my first pregnancy.

How did I get so paranoid I steam or wash everything that comes into my home????  

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 04:22:36 AM »
How did I get so paranoid I steam or wash everything that comes into my home????  

You know, vesta, madam, there's a downside to this too.

One is supposed to acquire immunity to some things while living life.

This is a rare example, but anyway, polio was unheard-of during the middle ages and renaissance.  It's been theorized that people acquired immunity to it through the lack of public sanitation.

I perhaps shouldn't tell you this, but males of any age have a habit of, when guzzling down the most perfect of all foods, milk, and no one is looking, straight from the one-gallon bottle.  It avoids using a glass that must be washed. 

When I was in college, and living in a party house with five other guys for a couple of years, this was a common occurrence, and obviously we had acquired some sort of immunity to each other's germs.

However, we did have manners born of good breeding; guests were offered milk from unopened (until served) milk bottles untouched by human lips.

That being said, myself having grown up around a hospital environment, I prefer things to be sparkling clean and with a slight whiff of hospital antiseptics in the air.  When it comes to appliances and other fixtures (such as what one finds in bathrooms), I prefer those to be white or at least stainless-steel (sinks, for example).  And for me, glass is preferable to metal, when it comes to cookingware.

One thing that drives me nuts is when women--and they are, invariably, women--put those carpet-like things on the lid of the commode.  Besides making it a nuisance for one of the male gender to empty his bladder (one has to actually hold the lid and seat up), those rug-like covers harbor lots and lots and lots of germs and other stuff.

Rugs on bathroom floors, too--that's a no-no.
apres moi, le deluge