Author Topic: Getting a new car, WOOT!!!  (Read 6631 times)

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
Getting a new car, WOOT!!!
« on: August 02, 2008, 10:05:56 PM »
I gave my corvette to my son about a year ago and have been driving a beautiful Reatta I got for a song about the same time. But car fever has caught me again and Im getting something different.

The only import I have ever owned was an old beat up toyota many years ago when I couldnt afford anything better. We called it 'The Duck' because of its color.

I had sorta planned on a CTS but some car prices have been dropping like rocks due to gas prices. Which makes no sense for this car as it is a V6 that gets 18/27 MPG. Not as good as the vette but still respectable. Its all perception i guess. Im still shopping for one with a manual trans but it shouldnt be more than a couple weeks. Hopefully. Oh, its an SLK 320 with a retractable hardtop. Its electric and folds into the trunk. Very cool to watch.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Getting a new car, WOOT!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 10:11:31 PM »
Is that new or used?  I read a review for the 2008 C180K earlier today and was impressed.  I don't care for the C class but after reading the article, I may have to change my opinion.

edit:  okay, I can see that's not an '08.  duh.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:15:59 PM by Chris »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 10:13:19 PM »
Shouldn't you shop for something a little more age-appropriate?   :p

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:19:35 PM »

the corvette thing was a hard habit to break, I would think. :-)

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:21:05 PM »
Is that new or used?  I read a review for the 2008 C180K earlier today and was impressed.  I don't care for the C class but after reading the article, I may have to change my opinion.

I would not for a second consider taking the hit on a new Mercedes. Its a 2004. By the way I work with a guy that has a newer C230 and he raves about it.

I had the choice of a supercharged 2.3 L 4 cylinder or a 3.2 L V6. The kompressor model seems to take a while for the blower to spool up and the V6 just flat hauls ass right off the line. My kids are just shaking their heads. Most of their youth I was restoring a '72 El Camino.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »
Shouldn't you shop for something a little more age-appropriate?   :p

'Age appropriate'? Speak for yourself Pops!   :uhsure:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 10:22:37 PM »
Looks nice, DH!  :)

My dad bought a 2007 Mercedes E-Class for my stepmom (he told my sister he regrets the purchase, since it seems he got hosed in regards to the price :o) last fall.   I'm hoping one day I can drive it.   :p
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »

I loved the vette and had planned on another one. But, and I hate to admit this, I have arthritis really bad in my shoulders and it was torture getting in and out of a corvette. The ride was surprisingly smooth once you got in, but getting in and out was not fun.  :(

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 10:25:47 PM »
I gave my corvette to my son about a year ago and have been driving a beautiful Reatta I got for a song about the same time. But car fever has caught me again and Im getting something different.

The only import I have ever owned was an old beat up toyota many years ago when I couldnt afford anything better. We called it 'The Duck' because of its color.

I had sorta planned on a CTS but some car prices have been dropping like rocks due to gas prices. Which makes no sense for this car as it is a V6 that gets 18/27 MPG. Not as good as the vette but still respectable. Its all perception i guess. Im still shopping for one with a manual trans but it shouldnt be more than a couple weeks. Hopefully. Oh, its an SLK 320 with a retractable hardtop. Its electric and folds into the trunk. Very cool to watch.

cool car, DH!

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 10:26:14 PM »

You are well over 40.  Have you ever tried getting in and out of those things?  They weren't built for Receding Romeos. The joke is, they are the ones who can afford them.  

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »

You are well over 40.  Have you ever tried getting in and out of those things?  They weren't built for Receding Romeos. The joke is, they are the ones who can afford them. 

I have a '73 camaro that my dad bought, and gave to me when I was 18.  restoring it has become a father and son project.  it looks fantastic, and that car will SCAT!  but it isn't that hard to get into or out of.  you do pretty much sit on the ground, though.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 03:40:21 PM »

You are well over 40.  Have you ever tried getting in and out of those things?  They weren't built for Receding Romeos. The joke is, they are the ones who can afford them.  

My son says it gives him grief getting in and out of it too. But that doesnt stop him from driving it constantly, lol.

Hes 21, has Honda CBR, a Silverado 3500 and a corvette. Hes living the good life.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 03:45:58 PM »
I like those wheels!  Heh... wheels.... showing my age now.  :-)
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 05:07:22 PM »
I like those wheels!  Heh... wheels.... showing my age now.  :-)

Yeah Milner -- really boss! ;)

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 06:29:49 PM »
Nice ride DarkHalo.  :-)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 08:17:04 PM »
Very nice DH.

Once you go German you'll never go back.   :-)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 08:45:20 PM »
I still cant believe Pops saying I should get a more 'age appropriate' car, lol.

Sorry, I dont do 'old guy stuff' very well.  :lmao:

I leave that to the old guys.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 08:51:44 PM »
Very nice DH.

Ive always been an American car guy but I just dont want to have to work on them myself anymore. I have a company car so my personal car use is seldom more than 5,000 miles a year. And Mercedes do have a reputation of being rock solid. And if that rock solid car also just happens to be a way cool roadster, well, what more can a guy ask for? Ive never though of cars of any type as 'chick magnets'. And guys that do are destined to be disappointed. I just want a fun car that will impress...me.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 08:52:13 PM »
Yeah, well I do the old lady stuff, not by choice but because my old man wants me to look like an old lady.

I drive a crown vic.  :evillaugh:

I swear I am going to have a midlife crisis on his ass and buy a Charger.  :lmao:
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 09:01:54 PM »
Very nice DH.

Ive always been an American car guy but I just dont want to have to work on them myself anymore. I have a company car so my personal car use is seldom more than 5,000 miles a year. And Mercedes do have a reputation of being rock solid. And if that rock solid car also just happens to be a way cool roadster, well, what more can a guy ask for? Ive never though of cars of any type as 'chick magnets'. And guys that do are destined to be disappointed. I just want a fun car that will impress...me.

Well, that Mercedes is a chick magnet.   :evillaugh:

The various American cars I've driven over the last few years, just disappoint me.  I prefer the tighter handling that the Germans have. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 01:27:56 PM »
I prefer the tighter handling that the Germans have. 

I'm German.  :-)

:pickme:

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 10:58:05 PM »

I knew someone would run with that comment.  :naughty:

Maybe I am getting old as in the past it would have been me, lol.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 12:11:28 AM »

I knew someone would run with that comment.  :naughty:

Maybe I am getting old as in the past it would have been me, lol.

:innocent:

Nice car by the way! Enjoy!

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »
I am picking it up tomorrow morning.  :cheersmate:

The place I am getting it from even got me a lower rate than I had for a pre approved loan.

This is my car http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail/photos/multiPhotoPopup.jsp?paId=136379961&tracktype=usedcc&isuper=true&aff=national#0.

It doesnt look like it but the interior is door to door black leather and real wood. It is an automatic where I would have preferred a stick but hey lifes not perfect right? I just talked to my son and he is going down with me to drive my car back and I prolly wont get a damned bit of sleep all nite. Yeah, silly I know, but hey I am a hard core car guy. That same son said he just doesnt get it. I had been talking about getting a slammed black Cadillac CTS then all of a sudden swerved into...IMPORTS....

I was driving to a Sears Outlet Store to look at appliances and saw a Mercedes SL500 on a lot for a ridiculously low price. That got me to checking other prices and i was shocked at the dive luxury/sport cars have taken here in So Cal lately. After a lot of research the SLK's seemed to be the best bang for the buck.

Pics of my ugly mug in the beautiful car to follow later this weekend.

This is just about as good as sex for me, lol. Maybe better as I will never have to buy a house for the car.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 08:44:35 PM »
OMG I love this car.....