Author Topic: Why do you think the Troops support Barack over Clintoon  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Why do you think the Troops support Barack over Clintoon
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:01:31 PM »
Dear lord.......

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x4406989

FrenchieCat  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 01:10 PM
Original message
Why do you think the Troops support Barack Obama over Clinton?
 Advertisements [?]
America's Soldiers Inspired by Barack Obama
Charlie Rose Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BP_p8WCH-M

Military shifting donations to Democrats
Democrat Barack Obama, who is calling for a troop withdrawal to start immediately, has received the most of any presidential candidate from uniformed service members http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligen...

Update: Troops donate more to Obama than to any other candidate, Democratic or Republican
In the previous post, I pointed out that people "affiliated with the military" donated most to the two leading anti-war candidates, Paul and Obama. As it turns out, when you narrow the people "affiliated with the military" to actual "uniformed service members," Obama is the clear winner.
http://jewishatheist.blogspot.com/2007/10/update-troops... 

TexasObserver (538 posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 01:13 PM
Response to Original message
1. Because the troops aren't stupid or clueless
 The notion that supporting the troops is keeping them in a war zone is one of the most Orwellian memes of our time.

They know who will bring them home and who will let them languish for some marginal domestic political goal.

FrenchieCat  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 01:20 PM
Response to Reply #1
6. I think so too. I think that out of all of the candidate, they agree with the
 one that saw this folly that it was from the get. The understand that this man will have the best judgment on getting them out.

This is also good for the GE....

And I know that Barack exhudes more than enough leadership qualities that he would win that vote, come November.

TexasObserver (538 posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 01:24 PM
Response to Reply #6
12. It really has had a similarity to Vietnam
 Edited on Tue Feb-05-08 01:25 PM by TexasObserver
There are many differences, but the political learning curve in the military is very similar. The guys who went to Vietnam in the first few years were gung ho, and bought into the storyline entirely. As time passed, as opposition grew, as the corruption of those who ran Vietnam became apparent, as the hatred of US troops by the natives grew, the troops reacted. By 1970, only the old timers were showing the gung ho attitudes that had been standard before.

Soldiers and their families have figured out that platitudes don't take care of troops, and that those who put them at risk do so for domestic political gain primarily.

LibFromWV  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 01:15 PM
2. i think they 
 falsely believe he will pull them out on the day he may take office. I am sure both candidates want those dear folks home sooner than later but they got screwed by * and his rupuke enablers. They will not come home immediately. It will not happen, no helicopters being pushed off the Embassy scenes. it will be phased and orderly. 

Proud2BAmurkin  (1000+ posts)     Tue Feb-05-08 01:20 PM
5. younger nt

:bird:

jefferson_dem  (1000+ posts)       Tue Feb-05-08 01:21 PM
7. Can you imagine the random "grunt" telling his buddies he just voted for Hillary?
 Not passing judgment...just sayin'.

demokatgurrl (1000+ posts)     Tue Feb-05-08 01:25 PM
Response to Reply #7
14. Statistics? 
 And I wonder how many soldiers would like to be called a "random grunt". Women soldiers included. Non-Marines included.

HUH??

scheming daemons (487 posts)      Tue Feb-05-08 01:23 PM
10. BECAUSE THEY ARE TIRED OF BEING IN IRAQ......
 ...they know that Barack will bring them home to their families sooner.

What a bunch of idjits...............Bless their hearts
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline jukin

Re: Why do you think the Troops support Barack over Clintoon
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »
What did it end up being? .5% for Clinton and .7% for Huse..Obama?

Question for democrats, if the race is close will you allow military votes, unlike the goreacle did in FLA?
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
Blacks outside the Military are supporting Obama in large numbers, why wouldn't those in the military do the same? Besides, as much as Libtards like to believe the military is filled with right wing fanatics, there is a large percentage who vote Democrat.
I've always believed that is because many don't view military service as defending the country, rather they view it as just another government job. 
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:43:48 PM »
Which military is giving the donations is what I want to know.

Haven't heard anyone talking about Obama among the soldiers I'm around on a daily basis.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 06:01:57 AM »
I can't find the paper, but a recent AF Times I read showed a poll it took in December.  Basically, the majority of those serving in the military are Republican or Independants.  It was about the range of 60% who supported the on going war, and felt that we had a strong chance of winning, and should keep fighting.

And as for Obama getting more money then any other candidate...  well all I gotta say is "A fool and his money..." :lmao:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »

And as for Obama getting more money then any other candidate...  well all I gotta say is "A fool and his money..." :lmao:

Didn't the Paulbots say the same thing about Dr. Nutz? IIRC, he was getting more military money than any other candidate for a while... At least that's what the  :loser: s were claiming
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies