Author Topic: Old fly rod  (Read 564515 times)

Offline Dblhaul

Re: Old fly rod
« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2018, 11:20:45 PM »
My fishing has slowed the last couple years. I bought acreage that needs a bit of work. I keep telling my wife that I have to retire early to get the chores done around here so I can go fishing all the time when I turn 65. That said, I still do my week long trip to a couple rivers in north Idaho that have beautiful west slope cuttys. I've been fishing these two rivers during the same week for the past 20 years. Taking a nephew that is new to fly fishing this year, will be a great time! I'll wait a few years before I introduce him to bamboo rods.  :whistling:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #251 on: September 06, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »
 :cheersmate:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #252 on: September 06, 2018, 01:28:35 PM »
Newest acquisition:

Late 30's to mid 40's Edwards F18 "Bristol" 8 1/2'.  BTW  the 18 refers to the price. These rods were the top of the line until you got into a "Edwards" marked rod. Think Quadrate.

Its in "good" condition and wont take much to restore.

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #253 on: September 29, 2018, 12:46:33 AM »
Back from the Idaho trip. The nephew did fine! His casting clicked the last hour of the last day, but by that time he had already caught fish! He wants to go again next year, I told him to practice and go out and fish locally. He will be welcome next year:)

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #254 on: October 02, 2018, 10:45:39 PM »
Newest acquisition:

Late 30's to mid 40's Edwards F18 "Bristol" 8 1/2'.  BTW  the 18 refers to the price. These rods were the top of the line until you got into a "Edwards" marked rod. Think Quadrate.

Its in "good" condition and wont take much to restore.

Casting an Edwards quad made me want one. I now have two from newer makers. Love um!

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #255 on: October 02, 2018, 10:47:38 PM »
Well, that didn't work well! 

I cast a Edwards quad, enjoyed it to the point that I have two quads from different makers now.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »

I cast a Edwards quad, enjoyed it to the point that I have two quads from different makers now.

Nice!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2019, 12:29:19 PM »

Ive ordered a Tim Zietak quad, should be getting it pretty soon.
It's his "Perfection" 7.5 ft 4 wt.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #258 on: July 11, 2019, 09:25:01 PM »
Did the Zietak arrive? He was doing a lot of blanks that the buyer finished, Is that the case with your purchase?
Should be a fast rod for boo!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #259 on: July 17, 2019, 01:53:48 PM »
Got it and finished it out, but only one tip done. When I get time I'll do the other. The rod is very fast, and roll casts like crazy. Took it out this past 4th to a small creek and have to say it's one of the best short rods Iv'e owned. It only comes in second to a Granger 7030 I got a couple months ago.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #260 on: July 28, 2019, 02:10:03 PM »
Granger 7030 Aristocrat (grade) with a "bow from the West Branch of the Feather.

The Hammer Handel on these is really nice to cast (only used on the 7030). Too bad more makers didn't use them.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #261 on: August 18, 2019, 01:50:16 PM »
Found a pretty neat rod. It's a FE Thomas from the late 1800's to no more than 1909 (determined from the butt cap). Model is a Dirigo, 8.5 ft. 3/2. Only needs a small bit of resto. and it should be good to fish. It came with the original bag and the tip tube. At that time they didn't sell rod with tubes. It also does not have a stripper guide, just small English style guides.
It seems to like a 6 wt. line.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #262 on: August 20, 2019, 10:17:50 PM »

Found a pretty neat rod. It's a FE Thomas from the late 1800's to no more than 1909 (determined from the butt cap). Model is a Dirigo, 8.5 ft. 3/2. Only needs a small bit of resto. and it should be good to fish. It came with the original bag and the tip tube. At that time they didn't sell rod with tubes. It also does not have a stripper guide, just small English style guides.
It seems to like a 6 wt. line.

That is very kewl. I hope it fishes as well as it has aged!

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #263 on: August 20, 2019, 10:21:58 PM »
I did get out last w/e. Fished  the NFCDL way up stream with a 6'-4" PY taper rod built by Buddy Davis. Throws a 4wt very nicely. Caught a few, and the all put one heck of a bend on the rod.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #264 on: August 25, 2019, 02:49:50 PM »
Nice! I fished a Tim Zietak  quad this week end.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #265 on: October 21, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
Well, I've picked up a fairly rare rod. It's a Max Yerxa 8 foot 2/2 that's an incredible 5 wt. Max was a student of EC Powell and actually developed the A B and C tapers that Powell used on his rods.
It's most likely from his last years of production, the finish isn't quite as good as it should be as his eyesight was getting bad. This would be from the mid 90's.

Fished it on the NFF this past Friday. The rod is one of the best I've ever cast. Easily out-casting the Granger 8.5 footers I have.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #266 on: October 30, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »
Very nice! Beautiful river you have to fish! What reel is that?

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #267 on: October 31, 2019, 01:06:31 PM »
The reel is a very "Blue Collar" Berkeley 510. I picked it up for something like 5 bucks, but it looks like a more expensive reel.

Correction on the Yerxa reference, it was Max's uncle Wood that worked with EC Powell and developed the A and B tapers. Max was a life long friend of EC's.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 01:10:08 PM by Wineslob »

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #268 on: December 11, 2019, 01:24:08 PM »
Oh an interesting bit of info, in the picture of the river the Camp Fire started approx. 1.5 miles behind me.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #269 on: February 02, 2020, 03:05:20 PM »
Thought I'd add that I'm restoring the FE Thomas rod. It turns out that it was "restored" in the past incorrectly with Black/Jasper thread and Black nylon (didn't exist at the time this was built) at the Ferrules. The closest example I could find was a 1920 8.5 ft. Dirigo with mostly original wraps. The rod should have been dark red with intermediates all done in the same color. So I've started on getting it right.

So far only the Butt section is done:

I'll update as I get it done.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #270 on: March 24, 2020, 02:53:49 PM »
Got the mid section done, LOTS of intermediates. Next is the good tip section.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #271 on: March 31, 2020, 10:23:34 PM »
Nice!
I have finally got around to wrapping the Uslan I have had for a few years. This rod is from the early 50's and impregnated. From everything I have read these rods are slow and bend down to the handle. Will fish it later this spring I hope!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2020, 04:07:17 PM »
Nice!
I have finally got around to wrapping the Uslan I have had for a few years. This rod is from the early 50's and impregnated. From everything I have read these rods are slow and bend down to the handle. Will fish it later this spring I hope!

Sounds like a parabolic. Im finishing up the Edwards and the FET. Lots of time, even though I'm working........

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #273 on: April 20, 2020, 01:42:33 PM »

Edwards Bristol with a Horton Bristol reel. From this last Saturday. The Edwards is a nice, 6wt. if a bit heavy.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #274 on: April 22, 2020, 09:43:17 PM »
Nice Rainbow! Inslee in his stupidy has shut down all fishing. Idaho says ya need to quarantine for two weeks if you show up. I could do that with the camp trailer, but they dont have any WiFi where i would camp and fish and still work.
Guess I'll tie more flies.