Author Topic: Old fly rod  (Read 564565 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Old fly rod
« Reply #275 on: April 29, 2020, 12:53:01 PM »
Picked up three, yes three, more rods. All are Montague FishKill  8.5 footers.  Two are in VG shape, one is a parts rod. These were Montague's entry level rod in the highest grade they offered. Where they saved money was skimping on the number of guides. They feel like 5 wts.

I love the color scheme on these.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #276 on: May 17, 2020, 01:53:09 PM »
Took out the Granger Aristocrat 7 footer this past Friday. Went to the Forks of Butte Creek gold panning area.

Lots of small Rainbows with a few lunkers that broke off 5X tippet.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #277 on: June 01, 2020, 03:17:24 PM »
I finally finished the FET rod (pre 1909 oldest rod I own)and took it out for it's maiden voyage on Butte Creek. It's a beautiful casting rod. Smooth as butter. The old makers really knew what they were doing.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2020, 12:09:09 AM »
Fished a Taylor Quad last weekend. I knew the day was going to be good when the rod flexed and I slowed down. Caught a few, great day!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2020, 03:00:57 PM »
 :cheersmate:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #280 on: August 24, 2020, 01:27:48 PM »
Even with the fires here in No. Cal. I decided to fish Deer Creek this past Saturday. Caught a bunch of smaller Rainbows and a 5" Brookie, which surprised the heck out of me. I don't believe they "should" be in the creek at this low of an elevation.
Not an old rod but bamboo.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »
Took out my oldest rod, the FET and got a few rainbows on a local creek.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #282 on: October 15, 2020, 12:57:18 PM »
Thought I'd add a couple of rods I picked up. With us moving to Idaho, especially in winter, I'll need a few projects.

A mid-40's Granger 8642. It needs a bit of work, someone added a couple of extra guides to the mid section. The way you can tell the approx. year is the tipping on the guide wraps, the double black thin wraps. These ceased to be used in the late forties as another cost saving.
Bottom image is "original" tip on top modified on the bottom.

The other is a Montague Sunbeam. It's pretty beat up, but the cane is solid and I didn't pay alot for it.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:08:13 PM by Wineslob »

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #283 on: October 15, 2020, 07:31:25 PM »
Looks like you have enough to keep you busy thru the winters here!
Nice fish from those waters.
North Idaho has a lot of West Slope Cutties, great sport fish, almost all C&R.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #284 on: October 28, 2020, 12:43:39 PM »
Looks like you have enough to keep you busy thru the winters here!
Nice fish from those waters.
North Idaho has a lot of West Slope Cutties, great sport fish, almost all C&R.

Yup, when I went in June I caught one, fought like crazy.
I'll get pics up of a 1949 Heddon Black Beauty that just came in.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #285 on: October 28, 2020, 04:37:33 PM »
In 2 months this thread will be 8 years old.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #286 on: October 29, 2020, 05:49:48 AM »
Yeah I'm feeling it! I can't see any more and after two knee surgerys I can't wade Rivers or scramble rocks. Last year my shoulder surgery almost killed me with DVT.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #287 on: October 29, 2020, 03:18:18 PM »
In 2 months this thread will be 8 years old.

:old:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #288 on: October 29, 2020, 03:30:23 PM »

Here's the # 17 Black Beauty. The in-line script vs spiral plus the orange tipping dates it to 1949. After '49 Heddon no longer used the orange tipping on the # 17, and went away from the spiral script. The black paint on the ferrules is in VG shape for it's age.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #289 on: November 02, 2020, 10:24:15 PM »
That BB looks great! Wasn't that Heddons top of the line rod in that era?

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #290 on: November 03, 2020, 02:04:38 PM »
That BB looks great! Wasn't that Heddons top of the line rod in that era?

No the # 17 was very popular, but only about mid-way as far as the line was concerned. I believe that the #35 (or possibly the #20 Bill Stanley's Favorite?) and up were the high grade rods made in a "custom" shop.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #291 on: November 20, 2020, 01:29:17 PM »
Thought I'd add a couple of pictures of the restoration as it progresses on the Black Beauty.
Looking at the RH Side of the the picture two posts up, I've got the tip section on the RH side done. New matching guides and varnish and I saved the Japanned (black finish) on the ferrule. I was not able to get some staining out of the bamboo, but the wraps covered most of it.

I think its a very good looking rod and the reason that so many were built and sold.

Next is the mid section.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #292 on: November 26, 2020, 01:02:43 PM »
More shots of the Heddon.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #293 on: November 29, 2020, 03:45:19 PM »
I took the Heddon out on it's maiden voyage Saturday to the NFF. The Rainbows were happy to take the offered flies.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #294 on: January 31, 2021, 01:29:59 PM »
Thought I'd add a couple more rods that I picked up just before we made the move to North Idaho.

Two Horrocks Ibbotson Tonka Prince's. One dosen't need much the other a bit of resto. but, hopefully, not too much. They are roughly 4wts.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2021, 01:03:29 PM »
Picked up a high grade rod. It's a late 1940's Phillipson Pacemaker 9' 3/1 with  the original bag and tube. The tip is short (broken in the past), but it should still be a nice 6wt. to fish. I started restoring the butt section first. The wraps are what they would have looked like when new. Its Granger Green or Parakeet depending on thread maker.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #296 on: February 19, 2021, 03:49:08 PM »
Do you store these in ways they are displayed, out for all to see, or do you have to keep them in boxes, stashed away until you want one of them?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #297 on: February 19, 2021, 07:17:42 PM »
Do you store these in ways they are displayed, out for all to see, or do you have to keep them in boxes, stashed away until you want one of them?

C'mon Frank!

Clearly he has them on display on his carpeted walls!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #298 on: February 20, 2021, 01:18:14 PM »

I'm married, guess.

:lmao:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #299 on: February 20, 2021, 03:28:07 PM »

I'm married, guess.

:lmao:

Yeah, I can relate vis a vis firearms. "Keep 'em in the safe!" is my mantra.  :panic:

That is, if I had any firearms.  :runaway:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.