Author Topic: Old fly rod  (Read 564535 times)

Offline thundley4

Re: Old fly rod
« Reply #225 on: August 13, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »
Picked up a little "gem" at a Antique Mall.

No identifying marks other than 'Made in England". Best guess is it's a Heaton from the 1920's - 30's, judging from the ivory handle. Balances the Hardy rod I posted about, very nicely.

Only paid 18 bucks for it.   :hyper:

Isn't trade in ivory illegal? 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #226 on: August 15, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
It's a "bone" handle................. :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »

Took the Hardy rod and the Heaton reel out for a trip this past weekend. It's a very nice combo.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #228 on: August 22, 2017, 11:30:46 PM »
Nice!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2017, 07:14:04 AM »

Took the Hardy rod and the Heaton reel out for a trip this past weekend. It's a very nice combo.
That's a pretty big baitfish, what were you fishing for?   :whistling:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »
 :hammer:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #231 on: August 23, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »
:hammer:

I've caught a largemouth bass about that size on a 3 1/2" Rapala. The bass was just a little longer.  :rofl:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #232 on: August 27, 2017, 02:00:19 PM »
I took the Jeep up into the High Lakes. This is the "staircase" with a shot showing the guys behind me after I went through coming back out. He has more tire (35's  to my 33"s) and ground clearance.

Going in was tougher. Here is where I wanted to get to (and did):

Campbell Lake. Usually I catch very nice sized Brookies here, but today they weren't cooperating. It was still nice just to be there.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2017, 11:49:03 AM »

Picked up a South Bend 290 7 1/2' 6 wt. and a "Challenger" 9 ft. 6 wt.  The Challenger is a "trade rod" made by Wright & McGill  who also made Granger rods. It's the same as a Granger 9050, but made from lesser cosmetic quality bamboo than the Granger rods. It was a way for them (W&M) to sell rods made from bamboo clums that would have been destroyed normally, and not use the Granger name.

No pics of the Challenger yet, it's in the middle of being restored.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #234 on: December 10, 2017, 11:14:34 PM »
Nice!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #235 on: December 21, 2017, 12:56:28 PM »
Here's the Challenger rod, bottom, and probably from the early 50's, next to a Granger (top) from the mid 1930's:

Even after 20 years + the similarities are obvious.

The top rod is a shorter rod and has a slightly different cork handle, but still what's called a Reverse Wells.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2018, 11:48:14 PM »
I just picked up a Channer  7' 4wt 2pc 2 tip. Same taper as the 7'-6" rod I have from the same maker. It will get fished a lot.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2018, 02:15:54 PM »
Sweet!  I still have to finish the rods plus another Granger I picked up. It's a Special. A model I've been looking for for a couple of years.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #238 on: April 18, 2018, 11:23:39 PM »
I need to go fishing. Lakes open up here this month. A couple rivers in ID that are open. I just need to fish!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #239 on: April 19, 2018, 12:39:28 PM »
Same here, but everything is still too high. I'll keep checking Dream Flows............

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2018, 03:15:09 AM »
 :banghead: Still snowing every day here! Still busy at work with no heat calls! Damn global warming
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »
I'm finishing up the Challenger rod, can't wait to use it on the North Fork of the Feather River. It feels like a 5-6 wt. Lighter than my Granger 9050  but a tad heavier than the 8642. Should be interesting to see once I finish wrapping and polishing it up.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2018, 12:06:49 PM »
I fished the North Fork of the Feather River this past Saturday. Got a few nice Rainbows.

I haven't finished the Challenger rod yet  so I used a Granger.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2018, 11:11:11 PM »
Nice fish! And fun looking pocket water. Our rivers here are still running high.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2018, 04:01:23 AM »
Nice looking water and fish.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #245 on: July 13, 2018, 12:57:54 PM »
While on a trip last month to Washington State the wife and I went to a couple of Antique shops. In one I found this rod:

(srry about the out of focus)

It's a 1930's Edwards "Bristol" F5 . All sections are full length. Casts a 5 wt. line beautifully. The F stands for "fly" and the 5 was the cost in dollars.... in the 30's!  I'm at the point where I'll start rubbing out the varnish, and it'll be ready to fish.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #246 on: July 14, 2018, 04:48:40 AM »
Nice find! Stuff like that are rare as hens teeth around here.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #247 on: July 14, 2018, 11:55:28 AM »
Nice find! Stuff like that are rare as hens teeth around here.

Same here. I've been looking for ANY Edwards rods out here, (West Coast) for years. This is the first one . Then I get home from the vacation and find an Edwards F 18, but it's in pretty bad shape. Passed on it.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #248 on: August 01, 2018, 11:17:09 PM »
Great find! The Edwards rods are not too common in the NW.

I got out on the St Joe for a few days, hot weather and river temps left the fishing to early mornings. Did quite well considering the conditions!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #249 on: August 02, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
NICE!  It's gotten too hot here, even above 6000 ft. I'll probably fish Butt Valley Res. BIG rainbows and Browns. The fish are just done spawning and are hungry......... :hyper:

Yes  it's Butt, the cartographer, around the turn of the century either 1, made a mistake leaving off the "e" or 2, was a smart ass.