Author Topic: primitives discuss hit squads; formica primitive reminescences  (Read 591 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3968432

Oh my.

Octafish (1000+ posts)        Tue Jul-14-09 02:17 PM
Original message

Don't Shoot -- The CIA's kill teams were modeled on Israel's hit squads

A ferocious dispute between the CIA and Congressional Democrats centers on an ultra-secret effort launched by agency officials after 9/11 to draw up plans to hunt down and kill terrorists using commando teams similar to those deployed by Israel after the 1972 Munich Olympic massacre, according to a former senior US official.

Officials of the CIA's undercover spying branch, then known as the Directorate of Operations, on and off over the last several years repeatedly floated and revised plans for the such operations, which would involve sending squads of operatives overseas, sometimes into friendly countries, to track and assassinate Al Qaeda leaders, much the same way Israeli Mossad agents sent assassins to Europe to kill men they believed responsible for murdering Israeli Olympic athletes, the former official said. But several former and current officials said the highly-classified plans, which last week provoked into a bitter argument between congress and the CIA, never became "fully operational," and CIA Director Leon Panetta put an end to the program in June.

According to two former officials—who, like others quoted in this story, asked for anonymity to speak about sensitive matters—shortly after 9/11, the Bush White House consulted with the Directorate of Operations about expanding the agency's powers to track or lure terrorists. Top CIA officials ultimately concluded the program posed an unacceptable risk of failure or exposure, according to another former official. As a result, the initial plans proposed by officers of the Directorate of Operations— now known as the National Clandestine Service—were put on hold by CIA director George Tenet before he left office in 2004, former

officials said. Tenet's two successors, Porter Goss and Gen. Michael Hayden, kept the plans in the deep freeze. But a former official said that until Panetta killed the program outright last month the CIA never totally abandoned the plans for kill teams; agency personnel believed it was important to have them ready as an option for the president to use, and they continued to try to refine the idea.

Read more: http://www.newsweek.com/id/206607?from=rss

-----------------------------------------------

Someone told me they heard Ms. Bhutto was a victim of Cheney's new Operation PHOENIX.

Octafish (1000+ posts)        Tue Jul-14-09 02:45 PM
Response to Reply #1

3. It troubles me that the innocent are no longer protected when it comes to revenge, etc.

Murder is murder, even when our elected officials and their appointees call it justice.

Back in Reagan's day, DCI Bill Casey went after a sheikh that crossed him.

The car bomb missed the bad guy and instead killed 81 people -- men, women and children -- most of whom never lifted a finger against the United States of America.

The James Bond primitive, the formica primitive:

formercia  (1000+ posts)       Tue Jul-14-09 04:30 PM
Response to Reply #3

14. Most of them were children

The bomb was in a car across the street from the target's house. It went off early, just as a school bus full of kids passed in front of it.

timeforpeace (783 posts)      Tue Jul-14-09 04:11 PM
Response to Reply #9

11. I thoughts the reports all say it never became operational? So what, right?

formercia  (1000+ posts)       Tue Jul-14-09 04:32 PM
Response to Reply #11

15. They never sent hit teams, supposedly but individuals were tasked.

Nice little touch there, trying to add authenticity by using arcane jargon.

And now the usual primitive anti-Semitism pops up its ugly head:

cosmicone  (1000+ posts)     Tue Jul-14-09 03:50 PM
Response to Reply #5

10. Israel is small but hardly weak ... it is also the most unethical and immoral

Behind the Aegis  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jul-14-09 04:17 PM
Response to Reply #10

13. What ignorance.

Jim Sagle (1000+ posts)        Tue Jul-14-09 04:37 PM
Response to Reply #10

16. I pity you if you're dumb anough to actually believe that.

cosmicone  (1000+ posts)     Tue Jul-14-09 05:01 PM
Response to Reply #16

17. Ahhhh .. personal attacks. The hallmark of weakness.

Behind the Aegis  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jul-14-09 05:41 PM
Response to Reply #17

21. As exposed by your comment in post #10

Jim Sagle (1000+ posts)        Tue Jul-14-09 05:49 PM
Response to Reply #17

22. Yes, your personal attack on a nation of 5.5 million Jews IS a sign of weakness.

Or profound ignorance. Or deep malice.

It's deep malice; the comic cone primitive is after all a primitive.  It's deep malice.

mitchum  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jul-14-09 05:56 PM
Response to Reply #22

24. Only Jews live in Israel? It's still only 2009...be patient, Jim

Jim Sagle (1000+ posts)        Tue Jul-14-09 06:05 PM
Response to Reply #24

26. His attack was implicitlly on the Jews that live there, not the Arabs. 

So my reply reflected that and not a wish to rid Israel of its Arab citizens.

No Elephants  (1000+ posts)      Wed Jul-15-09 06:57 AM
Response to Reply #26

39. No, that was your assumption. Every remark questioning, criticizing or condemning actions by

Israel is not an anti-Semitic remark, any more than pro-Israel remarks indicate an authentic "love of Jews" per se. (Which itself is as dumb as saying one loves Italian people or Catholic people or Muslim people.)

The malicious comic cone primitive, again:

cosmicone  (1000+ posts)     Tue Jul-14-09 07:42 PM
Response to Reply #22

28. Actually, my attack was on the government of Israel not on its people -- whether Jewish or Arab.

The government has bombed civilian homes, killed children, bombed schools -- all with false pretenses, actions which are manifestly unethical and immoral.

All this for what? Land grab. Even today, despite Syria offering a peace treaty, Israel is only willing to part with only half of the land in Golan Heights -- why? The official reason is that that land is needed for farming and wine-making.

It is land grab pure and simple, perpetrated by a few religious zealots and Israeli military-industrial complex to the detriment or ordinary Israelis who are for peace.

It's the usual primitive anti-Semitic gibber-gabber.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: primitives discuss hit squads; formica primitive reminescences
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:56:29 AM »
This whole stupid charade about nothing would be comical if it wasn`t so infuriating that in their next breaths they will be screeching about how President Bush didn`t do enough in the 9 months he was in office to prevent 9/11. :banghead:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:03:40 AM »
This whole stupid charade about nothing would be comical if it wasn`t so infuriating that in their next breaths they will be screeching about how President Bush didn`t do enough in the 9 months he was in office to prevent 9/11. :banghead:

You know, sir, to be perfectly honest, I have no idea why I bothered posting this.

I don't observe primitive bonfires at length before I bring them over here; I'm first reading them as I'm actually copying-and-pasting them.

The bonfire sounded pretty interesting, and the formica primitive was at it, so I figured, without reading, it would be good to bring here.  Well, yes, the original topic was interesting, and the formica primitive was there, but that's all, really, that was there.

I don't observe an entire bonfire before bringing it over here, because I like the unexpected surprises that occur as I copy-and-paste.  But given duds like this, where the primitives don't come up to standard, probably I should change this habit of mine.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:21:27 PM »
What is wrong with hunting down and killing terrorists again?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 02:41:41 PM »
What is wrong with hunting down and killing terrorists again?

It's now considered politically incorrect, doncha know......since the messiah announced that the "war on terror" was over, rainbows and ponys are everywhere.......

By the way, where the hell is my pony?

dpc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 03:12:23 PM »

By the way, where the hell is my pony?

dpc

It's at the same place my unicorn is at.  I wish it would get here soon,

there are some neighborhood hippies that need to be gored.