Author Topic: gigantic primitive suggests diet  (Read 2482 times)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: gigantic primitive suggests diet
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 02:54:19 PM »
Weight is just calories burned vs. calories consumed, and a pound of fat is about 3500 calories. So to lose a pound, you have to create a net 3500 calorie deficit. Simple as that. If your weight is steady, and you don't change your diet at all, a 500-calorie aerobic workout every day will cause about a one pound loss per week. If you don't change your level of activity at all, and reduce the calories in your diet by 500 per day, you will also lose about one pound in a week. Both of those things are hard to do. One nice snack can cancel out an hour of hard work.

But it still comes down to the biochemical fact that you have to create a caloric deficit of around 3500 for every pound you want to lose.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 03:04:26 PM »
I don't know much about this topic but I always heard that muscle burned fat simply by being muscle.  That working out built muscle and while actually burning calories from the work out you also created muscle which helped burn the fat.

I know I like to hit the bowflex and when I'm working out I lose weight without changing my diet.  I may eat less without knowing it though because after I work out about all I want is a beer.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 04:06:23 PM »
I don't know much about this topic but I always heard that muscle burned fat simply by being muscle.  That working out built muscle and while actually burning calories from the work out you also created muscle which helped burn the fat.

I know I like to hit the bowflex and when I'm working out I lose weight without changing my diet.  I may eat less without knowing it though because after I work out about all I want is a beer.

KC

A beer diet...............................................hummmmmm.................... :hyper:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 09:53:22 PM »
Better look at the charts, Arobics done for ONE HOUR only burns just over 500 calories. Exercise is not the be-all end-all to weight loss.
Now, I'm NOT saying don't exercise, but don't expect to go to your gym for an hour (I don't have the time or money for a gym) 3X a week and think thats going to make you lose weight. It will help, somewhat. I'd rather be in good shape from a diet change and reasonable daily activity than be one of the gym critters that "live" at the gym. Thats not reality.
Again, look at the charts, even at a Pro level, say like Lance Armstrong, you only burn 1500 calories an HOUR.
Can anyone here do that level of phyisical activity?

There really isn't a set number of calories that aerobic activity burns.  Every aerobic activity burns different amounts, people at different weights burn different amounts, age affects, muscle mass effects it, etc.  I have a calorie monitor that I wear on my arm, so I know that a typical day of office work, without a work out, burns about 1800 calories, for me.  Add in a decent one hour workout and my daily calorie burn can reach 2600.  800 extra calories is pretty significant.  A tough karate class can get it even higher.

Of course you can't go all out and get a burger and milkshake after a workout and expect to lose weight, but if you eat a healthy diet an extra 500 to 800 calories is pretty significant.