Interests > Health & Fitness

Stop the Sugar Rush

<< < (2/2)

debk:

--- Quote from: Inga on March 05, 2009, 09:59:36 PM ---Deb, Vodka helps prevent type 2 diabetes, It does help with sugar cravings,weight lose and is even used for making herbal tinctures.vodka

You're a pretty and smart women. ::)

--- End quote ---

My dad and his mother were both adult diabetics, and I'm at about the age when they developed it. I went through a glucose tolerance test in college, and at the end of 6 hrs, my sugar level bottomed out, and I'm well aware of what happens to me when I "bottom". I get the worst internal shakes. I used to grab a snickers bar or I have been known to kill off close to a dozen Krispy Kremes. I finally got smart and realized that putting more sugar in, was not the answer. While it helped short term....I still went back to bottom.

Now, I always keep a big container of cashews in the pantry, a variety cheese slices in the 'frig and red grapes on the counter. Since I've discovered the olive bar at the grocery, I usually have a container from there in the frig too. I snack on some combination of those a couple of times in the afternoon, and I grab a few grapes off and on all day long. I know peanut butter would work too, but I've never been a fan of the stuff except while  pregnant with my youngest, I craved PB and J sandwiches (weird).

I knew that something wasn't quite right but it never occurred to me that it was the margaritas. I do eat sweets everyday, but not usually to the extent that I have been for the last year or so.

Inga:
Deb, It's not to late to reverse damage. You're heading in the right direction. Know that we all love you.

I to have a mom and pop that has diabetes, along with a younger brother. But so for I haven't . But sometimes I wonder,when fixing meals and desserts for Thor. But I wouldn't trade him for anything.

I know you know something about herbs. Do you know about Bitter melon for diabetes? It comes in capsules.

I also heard you could mix things like diet Coke or Dr Pepper to the Vodka as a sweet treat, I've never tried it myself.

debk:

--- Quote from: Inga on March 05, 2009, 10:25:58 PM ---Deb, It's not to late to reverse damage. You're heading in the right direction. Know that we all love you.

I to have a mom and pop that has diabetes, along with a younger brother. But so for I haven't . But sometimes I wonder,when fixing meals and desserts for Thor. But I wouldn't trade him for anything.

I know you know something about herbs. Do you know about Bitter melon for diabetes? It comes in capsules.

I also heard you could mix things like diet Coke or Dr Pepper to the Vodka as a sweet treat, I've never tried it myself.

--- End quote ---

Right now, I'm mixing it with tonic as I am getting used to drinking it again. I will probably go to plain water with a couple of lime slices squeezed in it pretty soon. I have never liked alcohol and coke/diet coke. I don't like Dr Pepper no matter what.

I average about 1 drink per hour for the most part.....except those margaritas go down much easier and quicker. I learned the hard way, that no matter how good a Cosmopolitan may taste...and it's vodka.....it really screws up the sugar levels.

I do much better if I can taste the alcohol...because then I won't drink as much. If it's just sweet and fruity, especially citrus-y....they taste reallllllly good to me.

Good thing too much alcohol trashes my intestinal tract....or I could very easily be an alcoholic.

franksolich:
I heartily endorse all the comments above.

My particular problem with refined sugar is that it gives me the hiccoughs.

I have no idea why, but there you have it.

Since I consume a lot of liquids, I used to drink a lot of Diet Coca-Cola and Diet Dr. Pepper, so as to hinder any decayance of the teeth.  I did that for years, until I started getting uncomfortable in the stomach.  Then I switched to filling a glass with half of that, and half pure carbonated water (I am talking about convenience-store purchases here).

That worked for a bit, but then all this news about diet sodas started coming out, and I switched to half Coca-Cola or half Dr. Pepper (regular, not diet), half carbonated water.

For some reason unknown to my conscious mind, but known to my body, I naturally and instinctively downsized this to about a quarter regular soda, three quarters carbonated water.

From late spring all through summer and into early autumn, because of the oppressive heat, the diet is, easily, three-quarters liquid, because I leak water like a sieve.

If vegetables (about half the time), I dump a can of pure tomato juice into the blender, along with ice, and whatever fresh vegetables (I deal with only fresh or frozen stuff) are at hand.  If fruits (about half the time), I dump a can of pure orange juice (or whatever sort of pure fruit juice is at hand) into the blender, along with ice, and whatever fresh (or frozen) fruits are at hand.

I have a superduper blender which blends about a gallon.

It's weird, but I'm single and hidden in the Sandhills of Nebraska, so nobody sees it.

Toastedturningtidelegs:

--- Quote from: Inga on March 05, 2009, 09:59:36 PM ---Deb, Vodka helps prevent type 2 diabetes, It does help with sugar cravings,weight lose and is even used for making herbal tinctures.vodka

You're a pretty and smart women. ::)

--- End quote ---
Who told you that? :o It's always been my understanding that the body burns alcohol before it burns fat stores! I also always heard that the body converts alcohol to sugar!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version