Author Topic: When old friends choose MAGA over morality it's time to say goodbye.  (Read 511 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member Nevilledog (29,936 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215978874

When old friends choose MAGA over morality it's time to say goodbye.

:whatever:

Tweet text:
Melody speaks gif fluently
@UnpaintedMelody
“…there’s no other side of this story 4 future history teachers to balance. All they can do is try to explain how so many Americans became enthralled&bewitched by self-centeredness&racism. You seem to think UncleSam is a sacred being,&Trump is his prophet”

When old friends choose MAGA over morality it’s time to say goodbye.
Ironically, it was Facebook ( of all places ) that shined the light of truth.
link.medium.com
3:50 PM · Oct 23, 2021

https://writings-with-james-stephens.medium.com/maga-good-bye-old-friends-9d2d1eadc6d6

I’m not sorry.

I’m not sorry that our Facebook posts about the pandemic ended our friendship.

I grieve, but I’m not sorry.

Your posts are the evidence I didn’t want but needed.

You aren’t the person I thought you were.

It turns out much of what I thought we had in common was only superficially true. The ties that bind weren’t holding anything together. It appeared that way because nothing ever tested us — until recently.

Trump and Covid have laid bare the truth.

I see a blessing in that.

*snip*

:bird:

Star Member Irish_Dem (17,689 posts)

2. It's hard to remain friends with people who won't do their fair share during a national emergency.

And deliberately put others at risk.

dalton99a (64,012 posts)

3. Selfish people don't make good friends or partners

Especially selfish AND stupid people who want to commit suicide

Evolve Dammit (7,313 posts)

4. Orange man and covid have "laid bare the truth." And the 74 million can go **** themselves.

If that's who you are, stay the **** away from me and I will do likewise. I will also defend and vote for anyone who wants to take a stand on the events of 1/6 and leading up to it. And suppressing info and promoting mis-info that led to approaching 1 million Americans to lose their lives. There needs to be accountability and we know where the justice needs to fall.

monkeyman1 (2,941 posts)

10. don't think it's that many now ? a lot of antiva's are no longer with us !

::)

Evolve Dammit (7,313 posts)

24. 74 million that actually voted for him is a big number. Add in the ones that never vote and would

latch onto a fascist movement is pretty ****ing dangerous. we've only (only) lost 675,000 to put it in perspective.

Star Member Chin music (13,122 posts)

33. Audit the 75 million.

I don't believe it. I guess that's as good as any trmp objection to the election. Bald assertions are the call of the day. trmp lost. Bigly. That's the only thing that matters.

childfreebychoice (2 posts)

7. Gave up 50 yr friendship

B cus friend kept spewing right-wing lies about hrc, then voted third party. He is black, and gay...no friends in the rethug party. As if that weren't bad enuf, after he saw how bad t* was, he became expat.

:bs:

Star Member A HERETIC I AM (22,184 posts)

8. I haven't spoken with one of my oldest friends in 5 years

After he angrily told me that “We are Trump Voters!”

I thought I knew him better than that, but I was wrong.

I still communicate with his wife, but he and I haven’t spoken since before the ‘16 election

Star Member Wounded Bear (46,902 posts)

17. I think my daughter is an anti-vaxxer...

and I fear for my grandsons.

:thatsright:

Star Member Hekate (71,779 posts)

23. Mine is, & is the mother of my only grandkids. It's tough to come to terms with that...

I was always politically active, always believed in public health measures, but finally had to make it clear to her that I will not discuss any of what is so important to me with her. How did I get this across? A screaming phone conversation, in which I kept repeating, “I will not discuss science with you,” at ever increasing decibel levels.

I want peace, and I want some access to the kids, who live an hour and a half away. So I am doing what I can.

For the longest time I was too ashamed to admit to anyone that my own daughter is an anti-vaxxer, but one thing the COVID pandemic has made clear is just how many families are being riven by culture wars that have turned against facts in general and science in particular.

We are not alone — I wish you all the best.

:mental:

Star Member Hortensis (48,495 posts)

15. We've been through just what was described with so many

people of our former social circles. She says it so well.

In the beginning, before the depravity became so profound, we regretted some lost friends who were important to us, hoping that someday divisions would dissolve enough that we could come together enough to share memories, Christmas cards. We no longer do. Whatever we and they once thought they were, they were not those people and never will be.

As for others we had a lot of fun with, that was possible because relationships were shallow, what we thought we had in common "only superficially true."

Looking back, I realize they knew before we did. We didn't know what they were hiding as it developed until it broke out in open antagonism, and over time in abandonment of every ideal we thought they had. Now, in a reverse, we know more about them than they are aware of themselves.

Good ridddance to them with regret only for relationships that should have been but never were. Our circles are smaller now after the painful housecleanings so many have experienced, but it had to be and we're all glad to have each other.

:whatever:

Star Member mountain grammy (23,600 posts)

16. When my husband asked his brother how he could support the lies

his brother hung up on him. They haven't spoken since. I've talked to my sister in law a few times. She's really not very bright, but God "has everything" and she's all in for trump. We don't talk about it. When your family aligns with Nazis, they're not your family anymore.

:bird:

Star Member Poiuyt (16,020 posts)

21. I lost my best friend to Trump

I always knew he was conservative, but we respected each other and stayed away from certain subjects. That ended with Covid. I was feeling quite bad about ending our friendship, but I felt better once I realized that people who deny covid, won't wear a mask, or won't get vaccinated were behaving in a manner that I just can't accept. Their selfishness is inexcusable. I was having trouble rationalizing things at first, but I understand my feelings better now and know that I made the right decision.

Star Member AllyCat (12,623 posts)

29. I dumped 90% of my friend list and quit going to

FB for about a year when the pandemic hit. I use it now for talking to some family members, a few friends I’ve made as an adult, and some high school friends that have moved away. I stay out of political discussions.

Star Member Skittles (138,224 posts)

28. you don't need FB to find out a "friend" is a Trump humping POS

just TALKING to them will do it

wouldn't be hard to find out their thoughts on the pandemic, either

Star Member The Wizard (11,427 posts)

30. I have disconnected with all of them

because they're immoral and stupid. Stupid people will get you into trouble. Avoid contact with them.

OldBaldy1701E (1,733 posts)

35. It is always tough to realize that you were duped.

But, these days the term 'friend' is used to easily that it is not difficult to find oneself latched onto a person that used the word, but has no idea what it really means. Add to that the general practice of invoking the word in the name of business, and one can see why we use it all the time, but seldom understand what it is supposed to represent. Having had to learn the hard way about a few former 'friends', I can relate very well to this post. But, even though I did shed a tear, I quickly dried it up because my life is way better now that I know they were not a friend, just an acquaintance that I had things in common with. It is a hard lesson, but one that will serve you well later on.

:yawn:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: When old friends choose MAGA over morality it's time to say goodbye.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 09:06:38 AM »
When old friends choose MAGA over morality it’s time to say goodbye.

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 09:49:05 AM »
Gosh.  I guess that means we should just agree with relatives and friends again... to have the pleasure of their company while we let the British Military sleep in our homes, kill our livestock, and steal our stuff.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 10:30:38 AM »
 :yawn: DUpipo celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas by cutting off family and friends who differ from them politically. :yawn: It's Cutting Off Your Family season again on DU. :yawn:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 12:16:07 PM »
:yawn: DUpipo celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas by cutting off family and friends who differ from them politically. :yawn: It's Cutting Off Your Family season again on DU. :yawn:

An act for which, the families of DUpipo are often deeply grateful to their personal house diet(ies).

Then the new year comes and the same DUpipo are back to "borrowing" money off those same family members...  :thatsright: :whatever:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 12:26:47 PM »
Then the new year comes and the same DUpipo are back to "borrowing" money off those same family members...  :thatsright: :whatever:

:hi5: & :rotf: !
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline MoshMasterD

• The Cornette Face
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 12:47:05 PM »
Once again they lose.  They always fail to abide by the rule "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
"They cannot win. We outnumber them in this country, and we have the guns… I’m not kidding. They talk a mean game, but they will not cross that line because they know what they’re dealing with."

Andrew Breitbart

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 02:19:37 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you're cutting contact with friends and family because they disagree with your political beliefs then those people are much better off without you and your intolerance, hatred and bigotry in their lives.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Ferrance

• Signing the Blue State Blues
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 04:59:16 PM »
All this thread (which is the latest in long line of them) demonstrates is that your average DUmp monkey is a small, weak-minded child who can't bear to hear any disagreements. The sad thing is running to the DUmp to get congrats for your intolerance just cements that you're a bunch of 5 year olds.
The Democratic party is longest running racist organization in the country. Going strong for over 200 years.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 08:17:31 PM »
Y'all ought to notice that nowhere the OP did the 'friend" beg him to stay.
More likely it was, "Who are you?"

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 08:22:41 PM »
They wouldn’t be liberals if they didn’t isolate the very people they need in order to pull off their “revolution”.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 09:10:50 PM »
Response to Evolve Dammit (Reply #4)Sun Oct 24, 2021, 03:39 PM
monkeyman1 (2,962 posts)
10. don't think it's that many now ? a lot of antiva's are no longer with us !

Yes, nearly all the antivas have been stricken dead by the merciless Chinese lung AIDS--being exposed means near certain death.

Nordberg faced better odds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_d7xzbGgWA
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 11:38:33 PM »
>When old friends choose MAGA over morality it's time to say goodbye.

When DimChits choose leftist idiocy over American Freedom, we have a population of failures to ignore.  How about you GFYS?  Get a brain Moran!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6gPSSYxex0

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 11:32:31 AM »
The way they go on about the Chicom Virus, you would think the mortality rate was 90%.    :thatsright:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.