Interests > Health & Fitness

which one is worse?

(1/6) > >>

franksolich:
I'll get the professional medical opinion on this some time late tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon, but for now, I'm curious.

Which one is the worse ordeal--having cardiac stents installed or having a cardiac valve replaced?

There's no argument about what's going to be done--the latter, as there's no need for stents, the arteries being about as wide open as the Holland Tunnel, no obstructions.  Obviously, cholesterol has never been a problem.

But from watching other people, I have an idea of what an operation for stents does.....but no idea whatsoever of what an operation for a valve does.

Opinions kindly solicited.  Thank you!

FunkyZero:
Hi Frank,
I wish I could give you useful info, but I can't.
My mom had stint put in a few years back and really all I know about it is that it took her a while to recover... mostly she was weak and ordered to rest.
Outside of that, I know virtually nothing about it.

Skul:
I'm guessing you're referring to the aortic valve.
Lots of info out there.
Here's one.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007407.htm

franksolich:

--- Quote from: Skul on April 11, 2017, 09:04:19 PM ---I'm guessing you're referring to the aortic valve.
Lots of info out there.
Here's one.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007407.htm

--- End quote ---

Thank you, sir; because of the linked articles, now I know what questions to ask.

However, it doesn't look good to me, what with both sorts of valve replacement surgery requiring 4-7 days in a hospital.  I'd just as soon it be done outpatient, myself back here the same day, but we all know that's not going to fly. 

I have a lifelong track-record--recorded too--of quick, almost instant, recoveries (mostly because I follow medical instructions thoroughly and diligently), but I still doubt they'd let me out of it. It's a good thing I haven't committed myself yet, this long hospital stay being a major obstacle.

I'll keep an open mind during the appointment Wednesday early afternoon, and I'm glad I got all the possible bad news up front.  It's better than getting it right then and there.

Bad Dog:
Had a good friend who had a valve job about 20 years ago.  They used mechanical valves at the time which involved blood thinners for the rest of his life.  Pain in the ass because he had to give up woodworking.  The good news was that he said he felt 20 years younger.  Long story short, they lasted over 18 years before they had to be replaced with pig valves which are more durable.  When he complained that the earlier doctors said the valves were guaranteed for life, the surgeon said that they probably didn't expect him to live this long.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version