Author Topic: What would YOU do to improve healthcare?  (Read 15532 times)

Offline Deuce

What would YOU do to improve healthcare?
« on: October 09, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »
A few things are clear:

1) The status quo is unsustainable. Healthcare costs are skyrocketing and insurance profits keep going up. We're the ones getting hurt.
2) Our administration is failing miserably to enact anything beneficial. Even the few good ideas they have get picked apart in committee by Senators who have been outright purchased by health insurance companies.

This will probably end up as incoherent rambling, but oh well, here's some ideas. It's a big topic!

-- Pre-existing conditions
You can't ban insurance companies from not covering these without an insurance mandate to offset the revenue loss. I can't come up with a way to make a mandate fair, so instead I'd open up Medicare to people who have been denied insurance due to an existing condition. They'd have to pay premiums to Medicare, as I'll discuss below.

-- Medicare improvements
One of Medicare's problems is the per-person costs are so high. The elderly are the most expensive to care for. I would try out one of the Senate ideas: make Medicare available to those under 65 to opt-in, but they'd have to pay premiums. Per-person costs would go down because you'd have some young, healthy people in the pool. I don't expect too many people would sign up, but if the premiums were even a little lower than private insurers, you'd probably get some much-needed revenue into the system to better care for the elderly. Worst case, nobody likes it and Medicare still just covers the elderly.

Another (probably one of the largest)problem is Medicare's poor oversight has led to large amounts of fraud. This needs to be curtailed. Additional personnel dedicated to fraud prevention would easily pay for themselves.

Boost the payouts for Medicare. Doctors aren't given much incentive to participate these days. Hopefully the above fraud prevention measures would pay for this.

-- Streamlined billing practices and patient records.
Every time you see a new doctor you have to give medical history from memory. This wastes time and causes errors. Electronic patient records and electronic billing methods save time and money, and improve the accuracy of the information your doctor has to work with. Make this mandatory.

-- Tort reform and per-procedure pay
I lump these two together because they have the same effect: unnecessary testing.
We're bleeding money and, more importantly, talent from the medical field in the form of malpractice insurance. Doctors spend absurd amounts of money to protect themselves from lawsuits and many of them give up entirely. To this end, doctors perform expensive, wasteful tests that they don't feel are necessary. Cap malpractice settlements and make the standard be "gross negligence" rather than "it didn't turn out like I wanted."
On the other side is the financial incentive. Doctors who perform more tests get paid more. We need to push the standard back towards salaries rather than per-procedure pay. Tax incentives for operating on salary instead would encourage this.
Combine the two and you have billions of dollars wasted on tests that the doctors, in their professional judgment, think are unnecessary.

-- Encouraging healthy behavior
Not often talked about is just how unhealthy Americans are. Our rates of heart disease and diabetes are astronomical, because we as a whole just don't eat right or exercise enough. Early education is key. Push more health education at an earlier age in our school system, and continue that education throughout their development. One class in fourth grade and another in eighth just isn't enough. Keep kids exercising in school. Gym class builds character! Good habits developed early are more likely to stick.

Unfortunately, a lot of this falls on the parents. You can't just ban every unhealthy food item or mandate people go jogging daily. Parents need to be encouraged to keep their kids eating healthy and exercising, but how do you do that? We can tax unhealthy products, but such taxes are invariably regressive. The poor are hit hardest when you tax cigarettes, soda, or cheeseburgers. On the other hand, you want to discourage eating nothing but cheeseburgers! Unhealthy people cost more to care for, it only seems fair to make them pay more, right? Salt and high fructose corn syrup go into everything these days. It is literally killing us.

So how do you curb that without disproportionally hurting the poor or taking away our right to choose?

-- Improving the free market
Competition breeds efficiency, and right now we hardly have any competition. 90% of the population is stuck with whatever their employer uses. Even if you can afford individual insurance, it's going to cost more for the same product, especially if you have any sort of bad medical history. Worse, we have little way of judging the quality of our insurance company until we NEED them. After years of paying premiums, you finally get sick only to be dumped immediately for some typo on a form you filled out long before you got sick. Insurance is nearly monopolized in some regions, so you might not have many choices no matter how much money you have.

A - Set up a simplified insurance exchange. Essentially an Orbitz.com of health insurance. Make it available to everyone, and any insurance company can advertise on it so long as they meet certain criteria. Only a few plans per company to minimize "spam," and the plans offered must offer standardized benefits so that people can compare apples to apples. **The regular market would still be available for the thousands of other plans and companies out there.** Also a requirement for joining the exchange: full disclosure on practices. Every denied claim or dropped policy must be tagged and public, so that people know who they're signing up with. Pacificare in California has a nearly 40% denial rate. Until recently, nobody had a clue. I bet their enrollment rate has dropped off after this came out!

B - Open up the insurance market across state lines. Competition, competition, competition. If those non-profit health insurance co-ops in Minnesota can operate better for less, they deserve a bigger share of the market.

C - Encourage startups. Right now the barrier to entry is enormous. I'd suggest tax breaks on startup loans for new companies.

-- Extend medicaid
Thousands of people die every year because they don't have insurance. People die for lack of money. It's unacceptable. I would extend medicaid to a larger segment of the population. Those who can afford insurance but choose not to get it shouldn't be rewarded, but many people just can't afford it after they buy food for their family. How would I pay for it? We've got to get money somewhere. The military budget is out of control thanks to a broken appropriations process. There are probably wasteful pork projects being worked on. Getting our asses out of Iraq would save a bundle, but that's not something we should rush. Our nuclear arsenal is due to be replaced, I'd say the vast majority of it is completely unnecessary. We can deliver nukes via aircraft, cruise missile, ICBM, artillery shell, or submarine. Surely at least one of these options is redundant, and we have hundreds of the city-crushing ICBMs. Maybe dozens would do?
The point is, there are places in the military we could trim and not endanger the safety of America or its troops. Same goes for nearly every other government department. TSA, anyone?

-- Fair practices for insurance companies
Stricter regulations on when an insurance company can drop your policy or deny a claim. "Failure to disclose past medical history" is a catch-all for big insurance. Hey, you didn't tell us that you had frequent headaches six years ago, we're not covering that kidney transplant! Once an illness starts, the insurance company shouldn't be able to drop your policy. Period. So long as you pay your premium (which gets frozen the moment you get sick). They had their chance to "review your records." They just didn't because at the time you were profitable.

-- Death panels
I've never been so disappointed in the GOP for not only failing to refute this nonsense, but for actually promoting it.

People should talk to doctors at the end of their lives to make a plan for their wishes to be met. Do you want to be kept alive or do you want your pain to be shorter? If you don't have a written order, this horrible decision is dumped on your family, your doctor, or even the hospital administration. Doctors should be paid for this consultation. There was a clause in HR-3200 that would allow doctors to bill Medicare for such a consult, and then some moron called it a death panel. Now that clause is gone. Sickening. What nobody mentions is that a Republican senator co-sponsored a nearly identical bill in 2007. Every state has an end-of-life directive provision. If you write the order, it must be followed. That's the opposite of government deciding how your life ends!

-- Prescription drugs
We pay too much. We're allegedly shouldering the "R&D" costs, but pharmaceutical companies have a way of lumping marketing into R&D. They also don't like to mention that the bulk of the research - finding what drug works and what doesn't - is actually funded publicly already. Pharma companies just do the finishing touches. They've also got shady practices like rebranding identical drugs for a new use to extend their patent beyond its expiration, or making minor variations in formula and calling it something new.
One reason Canada and the UK pay so much less is that they have the bargaining power of a market covering 100% of the population. If you want to sell drugs at all in Canada, you have to negotiate with an extremely powerful body. If you aren't willing to negotiate, your competitors would be jumping at the chance to secure such a huge customer base.
Collective bargaining would improve our odds. Allow insurance companies to enter joint negotiations on behalf of their collective insurance pools, perhaps? Allow them to join in with Medicare's negotiations? I don't know enough about the process to say something firm.

I await the inevitable serious flaws to be pointed out. What are some of your ideas?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: What would YOU do to improve healthcare?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:25:31 PM »
1)  Shut down the medicare/medicaid system immediately.

2)  Tort reform, to include "Loser Pays" principle and definite limits on "punitive" damages.

3)  Remove legal restrictions on purchasing of Health Insurance outside of state lines.

4)  Require proof of nationality at time of treatment.  Medical costs incurred in the treatment of foreign nationals and unpaid longer than 90 days will be deducted from any and all foreign aid the home nation(s) of said foreign nationals receives.

A SCOTUS decision stating that Congress has no ****ing business imposing itself in the Patient/Doctor or Patient/Doctor/Insurance Provider relationship ever again would be nice as well.

You asked.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 05:28:56 PM by DefiantSix »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 05:30:24 PM »
insurance profits keep going up

Excuse me. When did "profits" become a dirty word? If you had stock in insurance companies, would you prefer "loses"?
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 05:32:53 PM »
Excuse me. When did "profits" become a dirty word? If you had stock in insurance companies, would you prefer "loses"?

Insurance company profits have for the most part declined in the last couple of years due to the economic collapse. I'm also pretty sure that their profit margin is no higher than many other business.  I'd like to see the profit margins for some of the more prestigious law firms in the US.

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 05:37:03 PM »
Insurance company profits have for the most part declined in the last couple of years due to the economic collapse. I'm also pretty sure that their profit margin is no higher than many other business.  I'd like to see the profit margins for some of the more prestigious law firms in the US.

Yeah, the largest publicly traded companies profist shrank by 400 million.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/jul/23/barack-obama/health-insurance-company-turned-profit-not-rec/

So how are those profits growing?

Deuce, get your shit straight before you start spouting the liberal meme.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 05:40:25 PM »
Yeah, the largest publicly traded companies profist shrank by 400 million.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/jul/23/barack-obama/health-insurance-company-turned-profit-not-rec/

So how are those profits growing?

Deuce, get your shit straight before you start spouting the liberal meme.

I didn't even need to go check that, because I remembered it from one of 0Bama's speeches when he was proved to be lying. (I know that is almost every speech)

Offline bkg

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 06:00:07 PM »
1)  Shut down the medicare/medicaid system immediately.

2)  Tort reform, to include "Loser Pays" principle and definite limits on "punitive" damages.

3)  Remove legal restrictions on purchasing of Health Insurance outside of state lines.

4)  Require proof of nationality at time of treatment.  Medical costs incurred in the treatment of foreign nationals and unpaid longer than 90 days will be deducted from any and all foreign aid the home nation(s) of said foreign nationals receives.

A SCOTUS decision stating that Congress has no ****ing business imposing itself in the Patient/Doctor or Patient/Doctor/Insurance Provider relationship ever again would be nice as well.

You asked.

5)  remove the fed/state coverage mandates. MN has 63, including drug addiction in patient. UT has 4. Wonder where insurnace is cheaper?

6) Stop diluting the COTUS by saying that insurance is a right. It's not.

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 06:14:35 PM »
President Obama: There have been reports just over the last couple of days of insurance companies making record profits, right now," Obama said during a prime-time news conference. At a time when everybody's getting hammered, they're making record profits

LIE!!!

The industry "Health Care Plans" ranks #86 by profit margin. I deal in facts and figures half-breed boy, not rhetoric that most brain dead americans suck up on the network evening news.

SOURCE PLUS GRAPH

Obama is a blatant liar pandering to ignorant, mentally inferior people who should'nt be allowed to vote.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 06:25:36 PM »
Since real unemployment is approaching 18%, and since most all health insurance premiums are employer/employee generated, doesn't it take all the balls in the world to lie and say insurance company "profits" are "up"?  Or does someone have to be really stupid to actually believe it and repeat it as if it is substantiated fact?

I had "record profits" this year, too.  Record lows.  Remember, when a liberal says something like "record profits" remember that a "record" can be set two ways, and then assume the liberal is trying to get you to believe something that isn't the truth.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 06:32:22 PM »
I forgot to answer the original question:

Get the federal government out of it.  Completely. 

Stop sending tax dollars to Washington.  Send tax dollars to the states and let the states figure out how much Washington needs to scrape by....barely. 

Stop sending tax money yo criminal enterprises like ACORN.  Send it to Christ based charities instead, sincethey are the ones who truly take care of the folks in need.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 06:38:04 PM »
A few things are clear:

1) The status quo is unsustainable. Healthcare costs are skyrocketing and insurance profits keep going up. We're the ones getting hurt................
I'd just love to see proof of that one.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 07:41:11 PM »
)  Tort reform, to include "Loser Pays" principle and definite limits on "punitive" damages.
I would hope that would include the losing lawyer, not just the smuck that brought the law suit.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »
I would hope that would include the losing lawyer, not just the smuck that brought the law suit.

As Emperor of America, in my benevolence I could see making it so the loser is paying, and the losing attorney is paying the attorney's fees.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 07:52:51 PM »
LIE!!!

The industry "Health Care Plans" ranks #86 by profit margin. I deal in facts and figures half-breed boy, not rhetoric that most brain dead americans suck up on the network evening news.

SOURCE PLUS GRAPH

Obama is a blatant liar pandering to ignorant, mentally inferior people who should'nt be allowed to vote.

Thanks for posting this, Marine.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »
I saw on Fox today where 3 of the largest insurance companies had a less than a 5% profit margin.

That is hardly an outrageous amount.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »
As Emperor of America, in my benevolence I could see making it so the loser is paying, and the losing attorney is paying the attorney's fees.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

As a Marine. I challenge that. :saluteaf: Lets get in on. Gimme your best.  :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHz5tevLAw&feature=PlayList&p=C7A048D29D672D3C

Offline Deuce

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 09:28:55 PM »

What about situations in the ER where identity is not immediately obvious? If I get mugged and stabbed, my wallet's gone, how are they to know whether or not I'm a citizen? We're also stepping into the morally shady area of how do you handle someone who is clearly dying but you know is not a citizen and will not be able to pay for their care? I support that idea for non-emergency care, but when people are dying you really do have to treat them.

You guys are right about insurance profits - they're down with the rest of the economy. 5% on a trillion dollar industry is still a hefty chunk of change, though. Moreso than profit margin, insurance companies need to get their overhead under control.
http://masscare.org/health-care-costs/overhead-costs-of-health-care/
(note: this site is promoting single-payer apparently, but the numbers are still valid. the point is they aren't running as efficiently as they could be)

Someone asked about a source for skyrocketing healthcare costs. Health insurance premiums and healthcare costs in general have outpaced inflation by a large margin. We're up to 16% of GDP, far more than any other country.

http://www.nchc.org/facts/cost.shtml

Shut down medicare/medicaid system immediately

67%+ of senior citizens and probably every poor family receiving Medicaid disagree with you. People would literally die if you did that.

http://seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Medicare/2009/20090512-SenCitLikeMedicare.htm

2)  Tort reform, to include "Loser Pays" principle and definite limits on "punitive" damages.

Agreed.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 09:43:54 PM »
What is this big deal about "pre-existing" conditions?

I don't think pre-existing conditions should have to be covered at all.

It's life; life treats all of us differently, and we are to accept, adapt, and move on the best we can.

I was born deaf, absent both ears (the absence covered up by my wearing my hair a little bit longer than most males do).

I suppose that's a pre-existing condition.

Do I have the chutzpah to demand that other people make me whole?

No way, especially since I don't consider myself less than whole.

People are born to be tall, to be short; people are born to be this, or to be that.

Medical insurance should cover accidents and other injuries, and later-developing ailments, and infants born with pre-existing conditions (such as surgery to repair a cleft palate, for example), but in general, people with pre-existing conditions are morally and socially obligated to deal with it the best they can, the best they know how.

It builds character.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 09:54:31 PM »

Medical insurance should cover accidents and other injuries, and later-developing ailments, and infants born with pre-existing conditions (such as surgery to repair a cleft palate, for example), but in general, people with pre-existing conditions are morally and socially obligated to deal with it the best they can, the best they know how.

It builds character.

I can't disagree with you more...pre-existing conditions SHOULD be included.  If I am a cancer survivor, I'm considered to have a pre-existing condition....if I have a recurrence in 2 years...then my medical care should not be covered...? B.S.
That is the difference between HMO and PPO in most states...an HMO covers all pre-existing conditions where PPO's do not.  The latter is more expensive too....

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 09:58:40 PM »
I can't disagree with you more...pre-existing conditions SHOULD be included.  If I am a cancer survivor, I'm considered to have a pre-existing condition....if I have a recurrence in 2 years...then my medical care should not be covered...? B.S.
That is the difference between HMO and PPO in most states...an HMO covers all pre-existing conditions where PPO's do not.  The latter is more expensive too....

The chasm here seems to be in our differing definitions of "pre-existing conditions," and perhaps some sort of common definition should be agreed upon here.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Deuce

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 10:00:47 PM »
What is this big deal about "pre-existing" conditions?

I don't think pre-existing conditions should have to be covered at all.

These statements are somewhat contradictory. Most of the time the pre-existing condition is an injury or late-developing illness. Sometimes these conditions are ongoing and expensive, to the point of easily overwhelming and bankrupting a person. Then what? Toss them out on the street to fend for themselves, permanently crippled or even dying due to lack of treatment?

To clarify: A pre-existing condition is anything that an insurance policy would usually pay for, but they don't because you had it before you signed on with them.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/healthcare/2002-05-22-insurance-deaths.htm

Many of these people can't just "deal with it."

Unfortunately totally excluding pre-existing condition denials pretty much requires a mandate, which I don't support. Other options must be pursued.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 10:06:22 PM »
I'd like to see more preventative procedures paid for by insurance.

Most women who have had "issues" with their breasts...would much prefer to have a "scoop and stuff" rather than wait until they have cancer and maybe qualify for reconstructive surgery.

I know 2 women who have both had it done, and had to pay for it out of pocket.

I've had 3 lumpectomies and God knows how many mammograms and ultrasounds for checks and rechecks for over 20 years. Went without insurance for 5 years because I was considered "uninsurable" because I had "potential pre-cancer cells".

It would be thousands of dollars cheaper to just pay for a scoop and stuff.....

It used to be possible to get a hysterectomy if the woman was wanting one ( and not going to a GYN in a Catholic hospital  ::) ) and the doctor was agreeable. Now it needs oodles of documentation first, often not possible until really bad things occur...like stage 4 cancer.

The chances of a woman ending up with cancer either in her breasts, or those "connecting parts" that we really don't want to deal with once we are through having children....are incredibly high. Most women are quite in tune with their bodies, and know when something is just not right.

Let us have a voice on our health care...in the long run...it would save billions in health care!!!

-----------sorry for the rant.... :(

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 11:06:42 PM »
Tort reform.

Get rid of the last bondoggle the Dems gave us to try and "fix" healthcare...the HMO's.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 06:20:34 AM »
No healthcare reform without tort reform.  Any plan without that is DOA, IMHO.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 06:40:15 AM »
We have the best healthcare in the world no need to change it.

Change in the health insurance area needed
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:16:28 AM by Crazy Horse »
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.