Author Topic: Three killed as Italian cruise ship runs aground  (Read 6653 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Re: Three killed as Italian cruise ship runs aground
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
:lmao: :lmao:   :bird:  I probably was in that survey group

Somehow a woman is involved in a shipwreck?  Color me surprised.  Not. :drunksailor: :blowkiss:  :rotf:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »
Somehow a woman is involved in a shipwreck?  Color me surprised.  Not. :drunksailor: :blowkiss:  :rotf:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »

Maybe she was blow deck  :naughty:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2012, 01:59:31 PM »
Maybe she was blow deck  :naughty:

The story I saw said they were dining together but gave no indication of who got off first. :thatsright:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »
The story I saw said they were dining together but gave no indication of who got off first. :thatsright:

smack that head  :lmao:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2013, 12:22:25 PM »
Update:

Lawyers for Francesco Schettino, captain of the stricken Costa Concordia cruise liner, launched a last-ditch attempt to secure a plea bargain as he appeared in court for the start of his trial on charges related to the disaster which killed 32 people.

Mr Schettino faces up to 20 years in prison if he is convicted of multiple manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before his passengers, after crashing the vessel into rocks close to the shore of Giglio, an island off the Tuscan coast, in 2012.

As the trial began in earnest following a lawyers’ strike last week, the chances of Mr Schettino’s plea bargain – which asks that he serve three years and five months – being accepted appeared remote. Prosecutors have already rejected a previous deal with 52-year-old Mr Schettino.

Francesco Verusio, a prosecutor, told the court yesterday: “That Schettino is guilty, is not in doubt. The only thing left to determine is how long his sentence will be.” Plea bargains have been accepted however, from the five other officials indicted – four ship’s officers and Roberto Ferrarini. the crisis co-ordinator of the vessel’s owners, Costa Cruises.

The Moldovan dancer Domnica Cemortan, whom the captain was entertaining on the bridge when the liner crashed, appeared in court yesterday to offer moral support to Mr Schettino. Ms Cemortan, 26, a former hostess with Costa Cruises, is demanding “between €200,000 and €300,000”  from the company for the damage to her reputation after it became known that Mr Schettino, who is married with young children, had wined and dined her aboard the Concordia. She is also challenging the company’s refusal to hire her again.

Before entering the theatre-turned-courtroom in the town of Grosseto on Italy’s west coast yesterday, Ms Cemortan, who has previously said that Mr Schettino’s actions on the night of the disaster helped save many lives, told reporters: “Schettino is not the only one responsible. I want the truth to come out.” The main arguments in the trial are expected to begin later this week.

Mr Schettino says his reaction to the crash prevented much greater loss of life, despite Mr Verusio claiming the accused had steered the giant vessel “like a canoe”. Prosecutors say Mr Schettino hit rocks while performing a risky, show-boating manoeuvre.

Mr Schettino insists his premature departure from the scene of the accident occurred because he fell into a lifeboat and was unable to get out again. But marine safety experts have told preliminary hearings there might have been no loss of live had the captain ordered the immediate evacuation of the vessel, instead of waiting for more than an hour.

It also emerged today that the John Eaves law firm in the US will begin to sue Costa’s US parent company Carnival Corp on 23 July. Lawyers are looking at punitive damages, as well as individual compensation payments for passengers and crew members.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/costa-concordia-captain-francesco-schettino-launches-lastditch-plea-bargain-8714383.html

32 people died and this ****stick Schettino is trying to negotiate a plea deal.

The ****er ought to be keelhauled from one end of the ship to the other.

Regarding the ship itself:

Sloane, an engineer for U.S.-owned company Titan Salvage, said experts would have one chance to pull the ship upright and float it away to the mainland for demolition. The attempt will probably take place in mid-September. "We cannot put it back" down and start over, said Sloane.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/15/costa-concordia-salvage_n_3599576.html
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
^Nice update Eupher.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
  he fell into a lifeboat and was unable to get out again. 
:thatsright: That's the best he could do ?

following a lawyers’ strike   

I could support a lawyers strike here as long as possible. Things would be so much better.  :-)
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »
:thatsright: That's the best he could do ?

I could support a lawyers strike here as long as possible. Things would be so much better.  :-)
Anyone remember what Shakespeare (The Bard) said about lawyers ? Present company excepted.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.