Author Topic: Delayed Pressure Urticaria  (Read 16943 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: Delayed Pressure Urticaria
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 09:25:44 AM »
You typed that on a phone??  :o

Yep...I'm good.  :p

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 02:48:14 PM »
Here are some pictures of Sarah's hives, I took them with my phone.  This was a couple of days ago.  Her hives yesterday morning were worse, this morning she has some but not as bad.

You can kind of tell that her fingers are swollen in this picture, they have been more swollen and she has a hard time making a fist.

Arm

arms

Her stomach

Back of legs

Back of thighs

Front of legs

Top of feet/ankles

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 02:54:42 PM »
OMG...the poor baby!!!!

Have you switched anything in what you do laundry? I know you've probably been asked that already, but as hard as your water is, maybe what you have always used reacts differently.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 02:59:50 PM »
Oh BEG, God bless her.  That is exactly what I have.  Poor poor little boo.   :bawl:

The Zyrtec has helped immensely.  As long as I stay away from tight fitting stuff, I haven't had an attack in 2 years, except for when I dye my hair.  And that I have been able to manage with Benedryl.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 03:10:58 PM »
OMG...the poor baby!!!!

Have you switched anything in what you do laundry? I know you've probably been asked that already, but as hard as your water is, maybe what you have always used reacts differently.

I thought about that Deb but I haven't done anything differently and she had the hives when in Dallas too.  It would come for a few days then go away.  This time is worse than it ever has been and the added "bonus" of the swelling of pressure points is new development. 

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »
I thought about that Deb but I haven't done anything differently and she had the hives when in Dallas too.  It would come for a few days then go away.  This time is worse than it ever has been and the added "bonus" of the swelling of pressure points is new development.  

The pressure points are the worst.  How's she doing?

Edited for very poor grammar.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 03:15:49 PM »
Oh BEG, God bless her.  That is exactly what I have.  Poor poor little boo.   :bawl:

The Zyrtec has helped immensely.  As long as I stay away from tight fitting stuff, I haven't had an attack in 2 years, except for when I dye my hair.  And that I have been able to manage with Benedryl.

I make sure she takes the Zyrtec first thing in the morning.  She has also been taking benedryl.  I can't remember if you took prednisone for yours, if you did how long did it take to kick in?  It seems like it has helped with the areas that are swollen but not with the hives.  The fingers are the only area where there is swelling but it is down as compared to where it was Monday afternoon.  Last night she was complaining about the bottom of her foot again but I couldn't see anything but that doesn't mean it wasn't swollen and painful as it was hard to see the swelling the other day on the bottoms of her feet yet the doctor could tell it was swollen.  

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 03:18:51 PM »
The pressure point ones aren't really that visible, because it seems like they are more on the inside.  I get them on my palms, if I use my mouse alot, and when I drive alot as well. 

I got the Medrol Dose pak instead of the Prednisone, and they cleared up by the end of it.  I think it was a 5 week treatment. 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 03:19:05 PM »
I thought about that Deb but I haven't done anything differently and she had the hives when in Dallas too.  It would come for a few days then go away.  This time is worse than it ever has been and the added "bonus" of the swelling of pressure points is new development. 

Reason I asked....we have an elderly friend and several years ago....he was getting hives just like your daughter's. Went to the dermatologist and was basically told he was just getting old and that was the result of aging skin getting more sensitive.

He and I were talking and I asked him about his laundry....he had a housekeeper.

Turns out, the spray starch she used...had changed their formula. She switched to a different one, washed all his clothes and sheets (she even ironed and starched his sheets!...you probably do too  :uhsure:)...and in about 2 weeks, his hives cleared up.

I hate the way companies are always changing their formulas on stuff...."new and improved"!! Right now, I'm using Cheer, Clorox II, Clorox bleach, and Downy Liquid (the blue, pink or green caps only) and we are all doing fine. Can't use Bounce dryer sheets, and had to quit using Tide or Surf and Snuggles fabric softner.

Bad thing about prednisone is it really messes with the emotions....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »
The pressure point ones aren't really that visible, because it seems like they are more on the inside.  I get them on my palms, if I use my mouse alot, and when I drive alot as well. 

I got the Medrol Dose pak instead of the Prednisone, and they cleared up by the end of it.  I think it was a 5 week treatment. 

I thought the medrol pack is the same thing as Prednisone just packaged differently and slightly weaker?  I could be wrong.  Her prednisone came in 10 mg doses.  She took 40 mg for two days, 30 mg the next two days, 20 mg for two days then 10 mg for two more days.  Tomorrow is her last 10 mg dose. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »

Reason I asked....we have an elderly friend and several years ago....he was getting hives just like your daughter's. Went to the dermatologist and was basically told he was just getting old and that was the result of aging skin getting more sensitive.

He and I were talking and I asked him about his laundry....he had a housekeeper.

Turns out, the spray starch she used...had changed their formula. She switched to a different one, washed all his clothes and sheets (she even ironed and starched his sheets!...you probably do too  :uhsure:)...and in about 2 weeks, his hives cleared up.

I hate the way companies are always changing their formulas on stuff...."new and improved"!! Right now, I'm using Cheer, Clorox II, Clorox bleach, and Downy Liquid (the blue, pink or green caps only) and we are all doing fine. Can't use Bounce dryer sheets, and had to quit using Tide or Surf and Snuggles fabric softner.

Bad thing about prednisone is it really messes with the emotions....

I have ironed my sheets before  :p and used starch.  I have only done it when we have a guest and not every guest warrants the ironed sheets.   :-)

Yes I know about how prednisone messes with your emotions.  I had a huge melt down several times while on high dose prednisone (60 mg's for a LONG TIME). 

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 03:29:55 PM »
It may very well be the same thing.  Sounds like it.  I meant 5 DAY treatment, not 5 weeks.

When I had that flare up, I seem to recall I had a week hiatus and then I was on it again.  

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 07:22:38 AM »
It may very well be the same thing.  Sounds like it.  I meant 5 DAY treatment, not 5 weeks.

When I had that flare up, I seem to recall I had a week hiatus and then I was on it again.  

OUCH, there is definitely some thing wrong there.

My story------10 year old daughter going into hormone changes.

\she gets up one morning and her face looked like I had beaten her with a 2x4 right out of the blue.

I ran her into the Navy Hospital and the staff there were horrified, my daughter looked like Lon Chaney.    Doctors shot her up on benidril and I took her home, sent a note to her school asking for homework as she could not leave the house looking like that.

Finally after 3 days a school Representative visited me with her home work but was nasty as all get out.   A swollen face was no reason for her to miss school, then my daughter came into the room and the gasp from the Representative was audible. This was not a normal childhood disease. 

How this worked, the swelling would go down for weeks, then she would complain that her lips were itching, we could actually see the fluid collect under her skin.    Her doctors believed she was being bit by a spider or fire ant and kept the Benidril flowing.

It just seemed to go away when we moved, then 4 years later while visiting my parents she had an appendix attack.    While in the hospital the old itching of the lips and swelling came back.

This was an Air Force Hospital and things were different there.    They turned my daughter upside down, did every test that that time was known to man. 

Picture this, You are a 14 year old female and quite focused on the hair and makeup.  Boys calling for dates, then one morning you awaken to look like a Bull Dog.

Your own parents and grand parents break into tears when they see you, you spend hours at some  Doctors office that everyone hopes will bring you back to where you were just one day day before.

She poor kid somehow felt it was her fault, she was not or was doing something to cause this disease.  This comes and goes, one day the child is beautiful a week later the child trying to make friends and go to school cannot be let out of the house due to scaring the crap out of the neighbors chickens.

This was a ride for us her family, we never got any answers as to what was going on, was this just a fluke in her genes, was this just one of those things that happen for no reason.

UPDATE --- Raisins, yup they found after all those years that there is something in the MAKING of raisins that cause her to fill with fluid.

She can eat grapes and all dried fruit but some chemical used to make rasins cause her body to revolt.

Cheers-----  that 10 yer old had to spend a life trying to grow up ar a normal kid and not knowing those foods rasin bars and Raisen Brand were killing her.