Author Topic: Is this a scam?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Is this a scam?
« on: January 05, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »
I have been officially retired from my job and the company will pay from their insurence a small benifit to me for 2 1/2 years for major disability.

Ok here is the strange part, for weeks now I have been recieving phone calls from some lawyers office that perports to be affiliated with the people that are paying me as part of my work perks.

They sent at my request an envelope about 8 inches thick with all the information as a phone call simply will not do.  I need to see everything in writing, not just a strange voice on the phone.

All the gobblie gook that few understand until I found a paragraph that seems to say I would be hireing them to get me on social security.   No fee was mentioned but I did take note that if Social Securiety did not pay them I would be responcible for the fee.  Why would #SS pay them.?

I spoke with[ HR ] at my late job and they had no idea what was going on, had no idea how they got my SS# address or phone number.

Now the calls keep comming in from this lawyers office and today recieved not only another call but a letter that says the people who are paying my disabilty had refrured me to the lawyer. Do they  the companys insurence Co. have the right to give out private information about their clients employees to just anyone ?

I screen all my calls and am afraid to speak to them as [ HR ] mentioned I should be very carefull what I say to them. 

Is this business as usual or something new.? 

Pros for the lawyers is they get paid from someone to do what I can do with a phone call, don't even have to leave the house to get a phone conference. What do I need them for.?

Pro for the Insurence Co. they are no longer obligated to pay me any disability.

Where is anything good for me in all this ?  I do not need medicare as I am on Hubbys insurence, if I go SS# at my age will I loose money in the long run.?  Should I wait out the 2 1/2 years then hope there is enough money in SS# left to at least feed my cat.?

All these questions that I never thought I would live long enough to face.

It is the scams out there that in this economy and at my age that I am trying to avoid.   I do feel strange that when I was young and healthy it was all too easy to just run out and get a job, even work 2 if need be.    Today I am back where I started out dependent on others and I don't like this feeling one bit.

So if anyone has had a scam on disability insurence or have any idea what I am talking about PLEASE give me some input.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Re: Is this a scam?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 03:41:59 PM »
I know nothing about US law, but this does smell like a scam to me. Why not find an impartial lawyer or advisor that you already trust and ask them to read the documents  and advise you on this. I know that may cost some money, but it would be money well spent if this is a scam (and if it isn't you'll have the assurance of knowing you made the decision that was best for you) Good luck vesta.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »
Sounds like a scam to me. If it were me, I would contact the state Attorney General and Social Security office. Would not cost you anything to write them (phone calls are a waste of time) and in all probability you will get a response. I have had good luck contacting the A.G. I might also tell them to quit calling or I will report you to the phone company. If you have caller ID, call them. If you keep getting a busy signal, you will know it's some type of boiler maker operation.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:00:37 PM by Lacarnut »

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »
Super Scam. I recommend retaining a vicious sociopathic lawyer and go after these scam artists. But let's ask Oceander, our resident lawyer and legal expert.

But he'll tell you the same thing. You're being scammed.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
Have you recently checked into SSI??  Perhaps the Insurance Company wants you to get on SSI in lieu of disability insurance?? I would contact the insurance co and inquire. I don't know how much you receive for disability, but SSI is somewhere around $2000- 2500/ mo, depending on how many years you've paid into Social Security.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson