Author Topic: Night Splint and bruise  (Read 2811 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Night Splint and bruise
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:55:12 PM »
Has anyone here had to wear a night splint on their foot before?  I'm going to have surgery on my foot sometime next year but while I'm waiting I'm to wear this stupid night splint the stretch my Achilles tendon.  You aren't suppose to walk in it yet I have a few times, not far but I did go up and down the stairs to wake my daughter up for school and walk back and forth from the bathroom a few times.

This morning I noticed a huge bruise on the back of my ankle towards the left side.  There isn't anything hitting that area on the night brace. The night brace holds your foot in a slight dorsiflexion (5 degrees) and is suppose to be a gentle stretch yet I wake up during the night and have to take it off because a couple of my toes go numb. I can feel the stretch in my tendon as well.

I am on prednisone which can make you bruise but I was wondering if the the act of stretching the achilles tendon could cause a bruise on it's own.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Night Splint and bruise
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:58:06 PM »
It shouldn't.  If you have a bruise, something is torn or damaged and bleeding.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:07:50 PM »
It shouldn't.  If you have a bruise, something is torn or damaged and bleeding.

Could I have torn something by stretching it causing the bruise?  It doesn't hurt. I noticed it when I was putting on a pair of socks this morning. I also have a couple other bruises on my legs which I'm positive are from the prednisone.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 11:09:46 PM »
It could a combination of the two.  If you bruise easily from the medication, I suppose its possible.  It could have happened when you put your weight on that foot with the brace on. 
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.