Author Topic: electric blankets  (Read 7996 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
electric blankets
« on: December 09, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »
I dug out an electric blanket which even though twenty years old was still in its original packaging, unused.

It belonged to a late brother of mine, who was always buying things and then jamming them into closets.  However, unlike the primitives, he could afford to do that.

I read the instruction manual, which states one should not use an electric blanket if one has diabetes.

I don't have diabetes, but am curious.

Why should a diabetic not use an electric blanket?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: electric blankets
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:12:53 PM »
Additional.

The above does not apply to me, but something else does.

It says those with "poor blood circulation" shouldn't use electric blankets either.

Why?

I have no idea if I have poor blood circulation--I've never been told--but I'm cold, like my mother, as cold as ice, and the maternal ancestress had poor blood circulation.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
It may have something to do with having a lack of sensitivity in the extremities. At least for diabetics that seems to be the reason.

Why are electric blankets discouraged for people who have diabetes? What's the danger?

Answer
from Maria Collazo-Clavell, M.D.
Diabetes has many possible complications, including nerve damage (neuropathy). Over time, excess blood sugar can injure the walls of the tiny blood vessels (capillaries) that nourish the nerves. This can cause tingling or numbness that usually begins at the tips of the toes or fingers and over a period of months or years gradually spreads upward. Left untreated, it's possible to lose all sense of feeling in the affected limbs. If a person has any degree of nerve damage, he or she may not be able to sense if an electric blanket or heating pad is too hot — which can lead to inadvertent burns. The same issue applies to water temperature when bathing.

If you have diabetes and would like to use an electric blanket, warm up your bed with the blanket before bedtime — then turn the blanket off or remove it from the bed before you climb in.
MayoClinic

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:01:55 PM »
Well.  I dunno, but  I am shopping for a new one, and btw, Sunbeam sucks!  Does anyone have any suggestions for another brand?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:13:22 PM »
Well.  I dunno, but  I am shopping for a new one, and btw, Sunbeam sucks!  Does anyone have any suggestions for another brand?

Sunbeam is the only brand I see in the stores here, and yes they do suck. They seem to quit working after a year or so.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 07:55:22 AM »
Sunbeam is the only brand I see in the stores here, and yes they do suck. They seem to quit working after a year or so.

Funny, right about the time I posted this, I got an email from a buddy, who said she saw Kmart has ones made by Cannon.  They only have one control, instead of two, but that might be part of Sunbeam's problem.  I am considering making an investment and ordering one, although I have been quite toasty with a few Army blankets, and a down comforter.  Those blankets are over 60 years old, and still are awesome. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 08:12:28 AM »
Funny, right about the time I posted this, I got an email from a buddy, who said she saw Kmart has ones made by Cannon.  They only have one control, instead of two, but that might be part of Sunbeam's problem.  I am considering making an investment and ordering one, although I have been quite toasty with a few Army blankets, and a down comforter.  Those blankets are over 60 years old, and still are awesome. 

Cannon does have a dual control on the king and queen sizes.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_070B430001620001P?vName=Bed+%26+Bath&cName=Bedding+Essentials&sName=Blankets+%26+Throws

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 08:34:24 AM »
I have never owned an electric blanket.  I've never even thought about it.  It must be a regional thing. 

BUT.....I am cold.  My heart beats like...six times per hour...my circulation is worse than The LA Times....reptiles have more natural body heat than I.....I'm wearing long johns, flannel PJ's, a flannel robe, two pairs of socks, wool gloves (on & off), and I keep my zebra-print Snuggie handy.....BUT.....I never thought about an electric blanket.....

It must be a regional thing.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »
I have never owned one either.  Nor a space heater.  I still don't have either.  But, I have considered them as options to keep my costs down in the winter.  I like an electric blanket to get the bed warm before I get in, then I turn it off.  Wierd, I know. 

Regional?  Aren't you in Texas too???

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 11:36:51 AM »
I have never owned one either.  Nor a space heater.  I still don't have either.  But, I have considered them as options to keep my costs down in the winter.  I like an electric blanket to get the bed warm before I get in, then I turn it off.  Wierd, I know. 

Regional?  Aren't you in Texas too???

Yes, I'm in Texas.....where winter visits but never stays too long.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 12:47:07 PM »
True enough, but when it does, it surely does.  And I don't have a zebra striped snuggie.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 05:10:24 PM »
Snuggies are for old people. Even then, all it consists of is a backwards worn robe.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZQ7WHw8Y[/youtube]
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:32:44 PM »
I have a thick puffy comforter.....I like it better than an electric blanket. Just about as warm, but I like the weight of the comforter.

The other half is ALWAYS cold....he had an issue with cold before he stopped drinking, now for the last 3.5 years it is so much worse. He wears an undershirt, a turtleneck, 2 sweatshirts, and sits under a blanket... :whatever:  I usually have on a pair of leggings and a long sleeve t-shirt and I may throw a sweatshirt on too. I have my own "inner summers".... :uhsure:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:34:49 PM »
I have a scratchy-assed wool blanket.  I hate it.  It's like sleeping with sandpaper.

Diabetes and poor blood circulation go hand-in-hand many times.  I've known a couple people that had lost their sight and had amputations done because their diabetes was so bad.  A girl I used to work with wound up in a coma because of hers, but I don't think any of these people were 'diligent' in monitoring their condition.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:39:38 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:40:26 PM »
I have a thick puffy comforter.....I like it better than an electric blanket. Just about as warm, but I like the weight of the comforter.

The other half is ALWAYS cold....he had an issue with cold before he stopped drinking, now for the last 3.5 years it is so much worse. He wears an undershirt, a turtleneck, 2 sweatshirts, and sits under a blanket... :whatever:  I usually have on a pair of leggings and a long sleeve t-shirt and I may throw a sweatshirt on too. I have my own "inner summers".... :uhsure:

This may sound crazy but your husband is probably wearing too many clothes to bed. If you wear less clothes your body heat gets trapped by the blanket better. When I was in the service we had a guy complaining every night how cold he was, we kept telling him to take his clothes off and he would be warmer. For several nights he told us we were crazy but, the last night we were in the field he tried it and admitted that he stayed nice and warm all night.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 07:42:32 PM »
Was this before or after the cows trampled through your tent? :lmao:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 07:48:50 PM »
Was this before or after the cows trampled through your tent? :lmao:

lol this was before we were at NTC when that happened.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 02:10:44 PM »
This may sound crazy but your husband is probably wearing too many clothes to bed. If you wear less clothes your body heat gets trapped by the blanket better. When I was in the service we had a guy complaining every night how cold he was, we kept telling him to take his clothes off and he would be warmer. For several nights he told us we were crazy but, the last night we were in the field he tried it and admitted that he stayed nice and warm all night.

Uh no....he's not cold because he wears too many clothes to bed.... :naughty:

He's cold when he's out of bed...
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 05:03:46 AM »
My problem with electric blankets is that most have instructions that forbid you from sitting on it or even laying a book on them.

They never last more then 1 year as the cats sleep with us and the heat draws them like a magnet.

At one time I saw these blankets that were made to be slept on top of. I do not think these were on the market too long as they appeared to be quiet dangerous to me. 

I do use a heating pad on my belly at night as it keeps my core temperature up and allows blood flow into my extremities, a small night cap to keep the heat in my head and a pair of wool socks.

We have the bedroom door closed and the window open about 2-3 inches, oxygen from the outside keeps away that fuzzy head one gets from breathing stale air in a closed room all those hours.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 09:14:06 AM »
For several nights he told us we were crazy but, the last night we were in the field he tried it and admitted that he stayed nice and warm all night.

don't ask, don't tell

dude

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 09:15:52 AM »
dang people. I just curl up and go to bed. I guess its cause I'm fat that I prefer it cold to hot.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 08:51:42 PM »
I put the electric blanket under my sheets...keeps the bed toasty all night long...but it is a bitch when ya get a hot flash
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P