Author Topic: Supplements  (Read 11876 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Supplements
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 11:27:36 PM »
I picked up a bottle of Psyllium fiber one day when I was having issues in that department.  They're a pain in the ass to take... you have to eat four or five at a time and if you don't drink enough water, they tend to stick in your throat and leave an uncomfortable feeling in your gut.  I can't say I was too impressed with the results.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 11:47:59 PM »
I picked up a bottle of Psyllium fiber one day when I was having issues in that department.  They're a pain in the ass to take... you have to eat four or five at a time and if you don't drink enough water, they tend to stick in your throat and leave an uncomfortable feeling in your gut.  I can't say I was too impressed with the results.

It definitely takes some getting used to. I've been taking them for so long now that don't have a problem with them anymore. The more water you drink the better.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 01:14:29 AM »
It definitely takes some getting used to. I've been taking them for so long now that don't have a problem with them anymore. The more water you drink the better.
I'm horrible at taking pills.  Unless there's a doctor's order on the bottle, I don't do it unless I need to.

I stressed my back working on a car over the weekend.  I'm stiff as a board but I can never remember to take a painkiller for it until its too late.  NSAID's have worked pretty well in the past for muscle pain, but I'm all out of Advil.  I got rear-ended a few years ago in a fender-bender and Advil worked pretty well for the swelling.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 01:46:15 AM »
They're a pain in the ass to take...

Take them by mouth next time.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 07:51:55 AM »
Take them by mouth next time.

:rofl:!!!!!! too funny!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »
I read an article in one of the past VFW magazines. It was about how Doctors at the VA were using vitamin D to treat chronic pain. With little to lose, I decided to try it. I use the liquid form of the Vitamin D and it works quite well. There are some benefits to some vitamins and supplements, however, one needs to take chelated vitamins or find them in a liquid form. The tablets don't always get fully absorbed or dissolved and are typically excreted as waste.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 01:43:13 PM »
I read an article in one of the past VFW magazines. It was about how Doctors at the VA were using vitamin D to treat chronic pain. With little to lose, I decided to try it. I use the liquid form of the Vitamin D and it works quite well. There are some benefits to some vitamins and supplements, however, one needs to take chelated vitamins or find them in a liquid form. The tablets don't always get fully absorbed or dissolved and are typically excreted as waste.

Yep, I read the same thing about the liquid form of the vitamins. Pills/tablets are hardest for the body to absorb, followed by gel caps, and finally, straight liquid.

The liquid stuff is more expensive, of course.  :p
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 01:34:46 AM »

I thought you could get Vitamin D from sunlight?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 05:41:37 AM »
I thought you could get Vitamin D from sunlight?

I asked that same question, and the doc laughed. He said literally that some of his patients go to Florida for extended periods, come back "black" and still have Vitamin D levels that "suck."

He said Vitamin D3 supplements are the way to go. Since mine "sucked" so bad, he put me on 15,000 IU's per day for two months, then cut back to 10,000 for a month. Then a blood test to confirm the results.

The thing that prompted all this for me was a preponderance of fever blisters that I'd been getting over the past 6-12 months or so. He said my immunity levels probably "sucked." He looked at the results of a January blood test that I'd had done and said, "Yep, Vitamin D levels 'suck.'"

The doc is not a young guy -- been around for awhile. I liked him (first time I'd seen him) because he pulled no punches.

I didn't ask him any questions about his favorite word -- "suck." I figured, leave well enough alone.   :rotf:

ETA: I'm no chemist, but I believe that sunlight helps convert Vitamin D into Calcium in the body. Something like that, anyway.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 08:18:34 AM »
BEG I haven't forgotten ya!!!! Swamped with kiddo's new braces (oh the drama!) and work stuff.........I'm gonna send you a PM when I can.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 11:45:20 PM »

ETA: I'm no chemist, but I believe that sunlight helps convert Vitamin D into Calcium in the body. Something like that, anyway.

Something like that. It's like you need the Vit D for your body to utilize the calcium.

For what it's worth, I have seen doctors write for vitamins on Rx pads. Pharmacies fill them also. Just what I heard.  :innocent:

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2009, 02:38:38 AM »
There is also Rx fish oil.

http://www.lovaza.com/

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2009, 04:02:17 PM »
Supplements are incredible, and I think are very valuable, but along with supplements make sure you're eating a diet that consists of a lot of greens and water. Supplements, like I said, are incredible, but sometimes unless you combine supplements and diet together...you may not see the fullness of the results you'd like. Good luck to healing all problems with your eyes...the natural way!!  :cheersmate:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.