Author Topic: Supplements  (Read 11917 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Supplements
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:06:31 PM »
This dry eye thing is driving me nuts (but on a great note, I haven't had a flare of my UVeitis in MONTHS...knock on wood).  I went to the eye doctor about a month ago and he said, "surprise, you have another thing wrong with your eyes....ocular rosacea".  I have no sign of the "regular" rosacea so I found it really odd but I guess he knows what he is talking about.  Oh another side note, ocular rosacea is connected to UVeitis (and a cause of dry eye).  He prescribed Doxycycline which I am a little afraid to be on for a long period of time.  All three "eye books" that I bought and read cover to cover recommend all kinds of supplements for dry eye so I went to the Vitamin Shoppe and loaded up on supplements. 

Fish oil and Flaxseed oil supplements (three soft gels a day).  I take one made specifically for the eyes (it also has vitamin E in it).  BadCat had been trying to get me to take Fish Oil for what seemed like forever.  I wish I would have listened to him as I think it is doing wonders for my eyes and well as my whole body.  I haven't had a headache since I started taking supplements and I use to get headaches daily.

Multi-Vitamin.  When I went to the Vitamin Shoppe the guy told me to take Nature's way ALIVE.  It has a TON of crap in it and you have to take three tables a day.   They are friggen HUGE and I can hardly choke them down.

I take an additional B-complex vitamin because the eye books told me to take it.  It makes my pee bright yellow (so does the multi-vitamin) but that is just the extra B vitamins that your body can't absorb.  I don't take it everyday and I think I'm going to ask my doctor if I should continue to take it.

Glucosamine and Chondroitin with MSM   I make sure I take that one every single day.  It has basically taken away all of my aches and pains.  I had been having a lot of trouble with my shoulder to the point that I couldn't roll over in bed at times.  My rheumatologist said it was part of my reactive arthritis (I am getting so friggen old).  I don't think I could live without it now.  It is also very important for the eyes (according to my eye book your joints and your eyes have a connection).  What is good for your joints is good for your eyes.

Magnesium Glycinate 400   Take it before bed because it is suppose to make you drowsy.  I had been taking ambien because I couldn't sleep because of the Tinnitus in my right ear but since I started taking the magnesium I haven't taken ONE dose of ambien or any other sleep aide.  It really does help you sleep.

There are other things that my eye books say I should be taking but to be honest, the amount of supplements I now take a day seems like a LOT. 

I have basically given up drinking Coke because caffeine is not good for dry eyes according to my eye doctor and the three "eye" books.  I have only had a handful of Cokes since I stopped about three months ago but I have drank ice tea.  Other than the occasional ice tea I drink water.  I was just taking my supplements and I had a can of coke for the first time in ages.  I normally take my supplements with water but I already had my coke ready to drink.  I about threw up, drinking that much coke at once is sickening.  I think I'm totally cured of ever drinking it again.

So what supplements do any of you take and how do you feel they have helped you?  I am officially a true believer in supplements.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: Supplements
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 12:14:50 PM »
This is like a mirror image of those DUmp threads where they list up all their psychiatric drugs!

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 12:16:36 PM »
This is like a mirror image of those DUmp threads where they list up all their psychiatric drugs!

Yeah....taking fish oil is the same as taking psychiatric drugs.   :whatever:

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 02:42:26 PM »
Where'd you get the fish oil........????????

Topic: I just killed all of our fish....AGAIN

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,30293.0.html

Something is not adding up. :uhsure:

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 03:14:42 PM »
Where'd you get the fish oil........????????

Something is not adding up. :uhsure:

I totally thought Undies would be making that joke.  :p

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 03:15:06 PM »
This dry eye thing is driving me nuts (but on a great note, I haven't had a flare of my UVeitis in MONTHS...knock on wood).  I went to the eye doctor about a month ago and he said, "surprise, you have another thing wrong with your eyes....ocular rosacea".  I have no sign of the "regular" rosacea so I found it really odd but I guess he knows what he is talking about.  Oh another side note, ocular rosacea is connected to UVeitis (and a cause of dry eye).  He prescribed Doxycycline which I am a little afraid to be on for a long period of time.  All three "eye books" that I bought and read cover to cover recommend all kinds of supplements for dry eye so I went to the Vitamin Shoppe and loaded up on supplements. 

Fish oil and Flaxseed oil supplements (three soft gels a day).  I take one made specifically for the eyes (it also has vitamin E in it).  BadCat had been trying to get me to take Fish Oil for what seemed like forever.  I wish I would have listened to him as I think it is doing wonders for my eyes and well as my whole body.  I haven't had a headache since I started taking supplements and I use to get headaches daily.

Multi-Vitamin.  When I went to the Vitamin Shoppe the guy told me to take Nature's way ALIVE.  It has a TON of crap in it and you have to take three tables a day.   They are friggen HUGE and I can hardly choke them down.

I take an additional B-complex vitamin because the eye books told me to take it.  It makes my pee bright yellow (so does the multi-vitamin) but that is just the extra B vitamins that your body can't absorb.  I don't take it everyday and I think I'm going to ask my doctor if I should continue to take it.

Glucosamine and Chondroitin with MSM   I make sure I take that one every single day.  It has basically taken away all of my aches and pains.  I had been having a lot of trouble with my shoulder to the point that I couldn't roll over in bed at times.  My rheumatologist said it was part of my reactive arthritis (I am getting so friggen old).  I don't think I could live without it now.  It is also very important for the eyes (according to my eye book your joints and your eyes have a connection).  What is good for your joints is good for your eyes.

Magnesium Glycinate 400   Take it before bed because it is suppose to make you drowsy.  I had been taking ambien because I couldn't sleep because of the Tinnitus in my right ear but since I started taking the magnesium I haven't taken ONE dose of ambien or any other sleep aide.  It really does help you sleep.

There are other things that my eye books say I should be taking but to be honest, the amount of supplements I now take a day seems like a LOT. 

I have basically given up drinking Coke because caffeine is not good for dry eyes according to my eye doctor and the three "eye" books.  I have only had a handful of Cokes since I stopped about three months ago but I have drank ice tea.  Other than the occasional ice tea I drink water.  I was just taking my supplements and I had a can of coke for the first time in ages.  I normally take my supplements with water but I already had my coke ready to drink.  I about threw up, drinking that much coke at once is sickening.  I think I'm totally cured of ever drinking it again.

So what supplements do any of you take and how do you feel they have helped you?  I am officially a true believer in supplements.

Interesting stuff BEG.

My headaches have been back in full force since I had the flu last month. I usually end up taking 50 mg of Sumatriptan 4 to 7 times a week! I also have to take Lortab for neck, shoulder & back pain. Mostly just at night, when it hurts the most. It's been a couple years since I have taken many supplements. I do take a multi-vit daily & fish oil when I think about it...

Maybe I will try Glucosamine and Chondroitin with MSM again.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »
Someone has their chakras out of balance.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 08:31:13 AM »
BEG did you ever try a white noise machine for your ringing ear?  I can't sleep without one now so I have one at every house I might sleep in.  I forgot it once on vacation and had to sleep with an alarm clock on static all night.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 09:34:21 AM »
I take a boatload of stuff. First of all, the doc told me last week that my Vitamin D levels "suck". (His word, not mine.)

So, I'm taking 15,000 IUs of that one (5,000 x 3 times per day). Apparently, vitamin D3 is the new wonder drug of the millenium.  :whatever: 

Glucosamine and Chondroitin, plus MSM - check. Doc also said to up my dosage. (Joint pain is still everywhere, so maybe he's right.)

Vitamin E - doc said to get the one with alpha, beta, gamma, and omega or (mixed) Vitamin E topherols. What we had was solely alpha - not enough of the various types.

Vitamin C - doc's got me on 3,000 IUs of that one every day.

A multi-vitamin for "mature" (aka "geezer") adults.

Fish oil - one softgel

I tend to be very leery of supplements, only because the industry is not regulated by FDA. Too many wack jobs out there. I investigate the company and how long they've been in business. Many of these guys are here today, gone tomorrow - sorta like liberals who happen to work for a living.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:35:45 AM »
Welcome to my world BEG :-) I am taking supplements as well and they have made a world of difference!!! I won't post the list for fear of being called a DUmmie.  :uhsure: :lmao: I take a multi vitamin, fish oil, evening primose oil, and some others on an as needed basis.

I really believe that if you follow a sensible diet and limit your intake of "bad stuff" (sodas, junk food, etc...) and take supplements you can really improve your health.

I had my supplement routine checked by my doctor and my SIL who is in the wholistic medicine field.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 11:07:41 AM »
Is beer considered a supplement ?

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »
I'm glad to hear this, BEG. I take a multi-vitamin and fish oil occasionally. I only cook with olive oil and I eat flaxseed bread exclusively. I eat healthy everyday via my food choices so I allow them to be my 'supplements', but that said, I think you are doing a great thing for your body. I know the working out means a lot too, but I feel better then I ever have. I'm glad to hear this!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 12:31:27 PM »
I found an incredible supplement..................................fresh food.

:tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »
BEG did you ever try a white noise machine for your ringing ear?  I can't sleep without one now so I have one at every house I might sleep in.  I forgot it once on vacation and had to sleep with an alarm clock on static all night.

I found an app. for my iphone, it's called "aSleep".  It works really well.  I used it every night at first but since I started taking the magnesium I haven't really had a hard time falling asleep.  I have probably used it a hand full of times since.  I use the "tundra" setting.   :p

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 12:41:22 PM »
I take a boatload of stuff. First of all, the doc told me last week that my Vitamin D levels "suck". (His word, not mine.)

So, I'm taking 15,000 IUs of that one (5,000 x 3 times per day). Apparently, vitamin D3 is the new wonder drug of the millenium.  :whatever: 

Glucosamine and Chondroitin, plus MSM - check. Doc also said to up my dosage. (Joint pain is still everywhere, so maybe he's right.)

Vitamin E - doc said to get the one with alpha, beta, gamma, and omega or (mixed) Vitamin E topherols. What we had was solely alpha - not enough of the various types.

Vitamin C - doc's got me on 3,000 IUs of that one every day.

A multi-vitamin for "mature" (aka "geezer") adults.

Fish oil - one softgel

I tend to be very leery of supplements, only because the industry is not regulated by FDA. Too many wack jobs out there. I investigate the company and how long they've been in business. Many of these guys are here today, gone tomorrow - sorta like liberals who happen to work for a living.

How much did your doctor tell you to up your glucosamine/chondroitin?  I don't know if I can handle taking any more supplements than I already do.  Some of them are so huge it's a bitch getting them all down my throat. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »
Welcome to my world BEG :-) I am taking supplements as well and they have made a world of difference!!! I won't post the list for fear of being called a DUmmie.  :uhsure: :lmao: I take a multi vitamin, fish oil, evening primose oil, and some others on an as needed basis.

I really believe that if you follow a sensible diet and limit your intake of "bad stuff" (sodas, junk food, etc...) and take supplements you can really improve your health.

I had my supplement routine checked by my doctor and my SIL who is in the wholistic medicine field.

Dixie, PM me a list of the stuff you take if you don't mind.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »
Is beer considered a supplement ?

Why of corse it is....  :cheersmate:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:08:49 PM by BEG »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 01:22:04 PM »
How much did your doctor tell you to up your glucosamine/chondroitin?  I don't know if I can handle taking any more supplements than I already do.  Some of them are so huge it's a bitch getting them all down my throat. 

Actually, I wasn't clear about that. I was taking the Glucosamine MSM combo - not the chondroitin. So I now take all 3 in the form of two pills. Um, I think it's 1,500 mg per day for each compound. (That might be 1,500 IUs - I just don't recall at the moment.)

Yeah, they're big, but you can get yourself a pill cutter at Walgreen's and chop 'em in half. That might help.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »
Why of corse it is....  :cheersmate:

Cool, I try to be healthy  :cheersmate:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 02:32:03 PM »

Must...not.....comment........

:innocent:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 03:33:05 PM »
Dixie, PM me a list of the stuff you take if you don't mind.
Comin your way in a bit........gotta put out a fire at work.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 06:10:38 PM »

Must...not.....comment........

:innocent:

I was going to make a hugely suggestive comment but decided to decline.  :p

Offline thundley4

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 06:46:44 PM »
I was going to make a hugely suggestive comment but decided to decline.  :p

So, you bit your tongue and held back?  :rotf:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 08:11:42 PM »
So, you bit your tongue and held back?  :rotf:

That was pretty funny.  :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 11:04:18 PM »
I take a MV and fiber. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get enough fiber in my diet. I refuse to eat a can of beans everyday.  :whatever:

I don't take any other supplements other than those two.

My sister has helped me see the value in essential oils however. I use frankincense to elevate my mood when I'm feeling a little low.

I use a mixture of frankincense, lavender, and clary sage to get rid of menstrual cramps.

I've found the frankincense to be helpful with headaches and bruises too. I had a monster bruise a couple of months ago (about the size of my hand...a deep purple color). I rubbed the oil on it every night for about three nights and the sucker was gone in a week. It was a bad bruise. No way that should have healed so fast.

The only other "alternative" remedy I use is a sinus rinse every night. It's like a netti pot only with this, you squeeze the solution up into your nasal cavity instead of tilting your head backward and pouring it in. Someone recommended this to me from one of these boards and I'm forever indebted to that poster. Since using it about three years ago, I haven't had a single sinus infection. I used to get them like clockwork every February. Plus, I sleep so much better because I can breathe through my nose.

Those are my tricks, so to speak. Good thread.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.