Author Topic: can one have too much Vitamin D?  (Read 3416 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
can one have too much Vitamin D?
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:11:06 AM »
Yesterday (Wednesday) I did some work outdoors, out under the sun.  I wasn't paying attention, and was beat upon by the sun for about forty-five minutes.

No sunburn; I really don't start getting tanned until August, and because I limit my exposure to the sun, burned skin is hardly, if ever, a problem.

Anyway.

So I got done, and as the day wore on, I got iller and iller. 

A vague unease, tiredness even though I had done nothing strenuous, loss of appetite, the attention span of a primitive, general irritation.

Then I thought about something.  The sun of course provides Vitamin D.

As does milk, of which I drink two-thirds of a gallon of the whole stuff every day (i.e., two gallons every three days).

I have to avoid the sun because of melanoma, which was licked a long time ago (11 years ago), but for some odd reason always wants to come back.  The only thing that keeps it at bay is my following George Bush's policy of pre-emptive action, zapping something while it's a microscopic problem, before it can become a major problem (or at least wanting to zap it; as we all know, George Bush because of obstructionists and negativists and primitives, didn't get his way all the time).

So.....with this sun, and this milk, might I be overdoing it with Vitamin D, causing, as yesterday, this blah, tired, no-attention-span, feeling?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
Re: can one have too much Vitamin D?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 07:24:37 AM »
That almost sounds like slight heat exhaustion or dehydration? Did you have any water with your 2/3 of a gallon of milk Frank?
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:09:39 AM »
That almost sounds like slight heat exhaustion or dehydration? Did you have any water with your 2/3 of a gallon of milk Frank?

During the summer (as with yesterday), ice.

I've always consumed a lot of ice, and ice being water, well, there's no harm in it even if one consumes oceans of it.

If I'm ambitious (which I wasn't yesterday), I even put the milk and ice into a blender and chop it all up.  (Also I do that with coffee, tomato juice, vegetable juice, orange juice, this ice-and-other thing.)  If I don't do that, I just dump in ice-cubes.

I thought about all that I had consumed yesterday, which included a half-gallon of pure orange juice (again, with ice cubes), and four pieces of whole wheat toast with butter (real butter) and sour cream, and half an 8-ounce block of pure cheddar cheese.

And ooops, that was it; that was the entire menu all day (which included coffee and cigarettes, not previously mentioned).

That's NOT the regular diet, only parts of it, as during hot weather I dine on less, which makes sense.  Being stuffed makes one hotter.

This is NOT a well-rounded diet, but excresence happens.  However, all of these things are robustly healthy foods, so I can't figure out the problems with it.

Oh well, one lives and learns, or tries to learn.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 07:43:49 AM »
Frank, of you have any mint to make mint tea or ice tea with mint, or mint juleps. This will lower the body temperature.That did sound like a slight bit of heat exhaustion. Don't for get to take extra potassium,or maybe packets of Emerg'-C in water and replenish your electrolytes, minerals, Vitamin B and C.Get it at Wal Mart. Northern ducks like you need to take a little extra time getting use to the sun and the bright lights.

You can get to much Vitamin D, with supplements it's about 20,000IU. The sun will burn you up or skin cancers will develop before you get to much. Milk you could swim in it, but could release parasites first or develop gallstones.

Watch that sun, I was out in it the other day and my lips burnt and peeled. Good luck Frank.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:56:39 AM by Inga »
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:01:25 AM »
I agree with the others that it sounds more like heat exhaustion or dehydration, rather than overdoing the Vitamin D. I know that you can overdo C and A, but I'm not sure that you can D.

Might want to keep some Gatorade or Powerade around the house. It has a long shelf life.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 02:23:34 PM »
can one have too much Vitamin D?
\

Yes:

There is a high health risk associated with consuming too much vitamin D. Vitamin D toxicity can cause nausea, vomiting, poor appetite, constipation, weakness, and weight loss. It can also raise blood levels of calcium, causing mental status changes such as confusion. High blood levels of calcium also can cause heart rhythm abnormalities. Calcinosis, the deposition of calcium and phosphate in soft tissues like the kidney can be caused by vitamin D toxicity.
Consuming too much vitamin D through diet alone is not likely unless you routinely consume large amounts of cod liver oil. It is much more likely to occur from high intakes of vitamin D in supplements. The Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine considers an intake of 1,000 IU for infants up to 12 months of age and 2,000 IU for children, adults, pregnant, and lactating women to be the tolerable upper intake level. Daily intake above this level increases the risk of adverse health effects and is not advised.

from here: http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/982088787.html
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.