Author Topic: Charred Red Meat Linked to Pancreatic Cancer  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Charred Red Meat Linked to Pancreatic Cancer
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:48:57 PM »
Charred meat contains several known cancer-causing chemicals, including heterocyclic amines. Many studies have linked these compounds with cancer risk, although they have mostly been based on people remembering what they ate in the past.

Anderson's team started with 62,000 healthy people and documented what they actually did eat.

Over nine years, 208 were diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. When divided into five groups based on how much charred meat such as hamburgers they ate, the people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer were far more likely to be in the top two groups.

"We found that those who preferred very well-done steak were almost 60 percent more likely to get pancreatic cancer as those who ate steak less well-done or did not eat steak," Anderson said.

"Those with the highest intake of very well-done meat had a 70 percent higher risk for pancreatic cancer over those with the lowest consumption."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517367,00.html

Guess I'm okay for a while.  I'll take mine medium-rare, please.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Charred Red Meat Linked to Pancreatic Cancer
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:09:24 PM »
I'm a medium steak beefer, but I do like hamburger on the charred side.  I'm over half a century old, so I'll take my chances.  An early grave is no longer possible.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 01:25:29 PM »
I'm a medium steak beefer, but I do like hamburger on the charred side.  I'm over half a century old, so I'll take my chances.  An early grave is no longer possible.

There's always a way to get around things. Even if that early grave is no longer possible, it's a good idea to postpone it as long as possible.

I subscribe to countless health and nutrition bulletins. The "experts" say to marinate meats before grilling. That somehow magically decreases the carcinogens from grilling or charring the meats. (Besides I find it tastes better, so generally do it with not only red meats, but also chicken).

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 01:28:08 PM »
There's always a way to get around things. Even if that early grave is no longer possible, it's a good idea to postpone it as long as possible.

I subscribe to countless health and nutrition bulletins. The "experts" say to marinate meats before grilling. That somehow magically decreases the carcinogens from grilling or charring the meats. (Besides I find it tastes better, so generally do it with not only red meats, but also chicken).

I marinated by insides for years...or was that pickled?...anyway, I think I'm safe.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
mmm....meat!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »
Mmmmmm... cancer causing meat....
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 06:37:13 PM »
It's nice to know that I'm at a lower risk of pancreatic cancer than the 'tards who eat their beef "well done". I like raw or rare..... TYVM   :-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 12:15:51 PM »
In other news, charred red meat linked to long-term survival of humans, moving them from "Light Lunch for Lions" to apex predators.

:cheersmate:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.