Author Topic: The White House still says the mandate is not a tax  (Read 961 times)

Offline BigTex

The White House still says the mandate is not a tax
« on: June 30, 2012, 05:26:52 AM »
The White House is standing by its position that individual mandate in President Obama's healthcare law is a penalty despite the Supreme Court's decision to uphold it as a tax.

White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters traveling with Obama on Friday that the mandate enforces a penalty, not a tax, because people have a choice whether to obtain health insurance.

"You can call it what you will, but if affects 1 percent" of the population, Carney said, according to a White House pool report.

Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts said in the court’s majority opinion Thursday that the healthcare law “imposes a tax citizens may lawfully choose to pay in lieu of buying health insurance.” In doing so, he embraced the government's fallback legal argument, which was that the mandate is constitutional under Congress's taxing power

This is just ridiculous
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline formerlurker

Re: The White House still says the mandate is not a tax
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 05:57:21 AM »
Justice Roberts delivered a win to the GOP in November.  Landslide.   The more Obama pounds his chest with boasting he keeps his mandate, the more he is energizing the base and getting people to donate to Romney.   

This administration learned absolutely nothing from 2010.   

Offline BigTex

Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 06:19:52 AM »
Tell a lie long enough...

You get voted out in November. :-)

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline BigTex

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 06:58:10 AM »

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 07:05:27 AM »
^ I think Barry actually disguised himself as Paul Giamatti in that movie "Big Fat Liar." It all makes sense now. It was a sign:-)

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »
Okay correct me if I'm wrong, but the SC said that the mandate can only go forward if it is a tax, so technically wouldn't that mean if 0bama doesn't make it a tax he can't do it? I know he will do what he wants anyway, but by definition would it be illegal for him to enforce this not as a tax?

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 10:20:54 AM »
Okay correct me if I'm wrong, but the SC said that the mandate can only go forward if it is a tax, so technically wouldn't that mean if 0bama doesn't make it a tax he can't do it? I know he will do what he wants anyway, but by definition would it be illegal for him to enforce this not as a tax?

Yep, that is true. And Since the SCOTUS called it a tax, that is what it is. No matter how much they try to spin it.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »
Carney , and Obama by extension are outright liars.  Obama's legal team argued before the USSC that the mandate was legal because it was a tax.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »
This is just ridiculous

So what they're saying is the law is invalid?  The Supreme Court has found that congress does not have the power under the commerce clause, only allowing it to stand under taxing authority.  If its not a tax, they can't do it.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
So what they're saying is the law is invalid?  The Supreme Court has found that congress does not have the power under the commerce clause, only allowing it to stand under taxing authority.  If its not a tax, they can't do it.

It's not going to be collected untill after the election.  If by some cruel twist of fate ABM gets re-elected, He's not going to care what they call it.  For now he has to hope his voters are stupid enough to believe him.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »
It's not going to be collected untill after the election.  If by some cruel twist of fate ABM gets re-elected, He's not going to care what they call it.  For now he has to hope his voters are stupid enough to believe him.

Well, we already know the morons at the DUmp and MSNBC are stupid enough to believe him. Are there any more takers?

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »
Well, we already know the morons at the DUmp and MSNBC are stupid enough to believe him. Are there any more takers?

Probably.

It will be interesting to see how the tax angle polls in the next couple of months.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »
Probably.

It will be interesting to see how the tax angle polls in the next couple of months.

Why doesn't the right make a commercial with him saying that it is a tax. That is why he was saying that they needed the mandate when he was trying to push it through congress. His legal team even testified that it was a tax. They should make a commercial of that as well.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »
Irrational bullshit and outright lies have never bothered them before, why expect them to start getting better now?
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.