Author Topic: Alan Keyes to announce break with GOP in Hazleton, PA  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Alan Keyes to announce break with GOP in Hazleton, PA
« on: April 13, 2008, 10:45:26 PM »

this is too bad.  I really like alan keyes.  and I really don't want him running as an independent.

Alan Keyes to announce break with GOP in Hazleton, PA

HAZLETON, Penn. — Former Republican presidential candidate Alan Keyes has chosen April 15 to make a major announcement of his intentions, following indications he has broken with the GOP.

A life-long Republican who has increasingly cited the party's failure to match conservative rhetoric with actual performance in the political arena, Keyes said he will reveal his reasons for departing the GOP at a press conference scheduled for 8:30 pm ET, at the Best Western Genetti Inn in Hazleton, PA.

The event will be video-streamed live at Keyes' website, www.AlanKeyes.com.

Keyes added that he is looking to the Constitution Party as a possible home for his future efforts in politics, including a potential run for president in the 2008 general election.

"No other 'third party' is as well-established as the Constitution Party," said Keyes. "They've been around since 1992, and have built a significant grassroots presence among patriotic, Constitution-minded citizens — with a registered membership of over 350,000. Conservatives have a home in the CP that they can find nowhere else, given the decline in the Republican Party's credibility as a voice and vehicle for conservatism."

Regarding his potential third-party candidacy for president in the fall, Keyes said, "I believe people deserve a choice. They certainly deserve a conservative choice — something neither John McCain, Hillary Clinton, nor Barack Obama can offer voters. All they can offer is empty promises based on liberal track records."

more at alankeyes.com

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Alan Keyes to announce break with GOP in Hazleton, PA
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 09:53:42 AM »
that is too bad.

Here's a link the the CP platform. I honestly didn't know anything about them.

http://www.constitutionparty.com/party_platform.php
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:01:03 AM »
that is too bad.

Here's a link the the CP platform. I honestly didn't know anything about them.

http://www.constitutionparty.com/party_platform.php

I know that 500 votes in florida would have given us president gore in 2000.  and I think he could move 500 votes. 

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:01:53 AM »
It's going to be an interesting November to say the least!

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:18:31 AM »
I had thought he alligned with the CP many years ago. Perhaps he was considering it then, but didn't make the move all the way. I like Alan Keyes. He's one of the more intelligent people out there, however he is not the swooning orator that people want to see and I do some rigidity in some things i don't agree with. Overall, though, I like Keyes.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:22:03 AM »
It's going to be an interesting November to say the least!
You can say that again.....
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 10:24:17 AM »
I had thought he alligned with the CP many years ago. Perhaps he was considering it then, but didn't make the move all the way. I like Alan Keyes. He's one of the more intelligent people out there, however he is not the swooning orator that people want to see and I do some rigidity in some things i don't agree with. Overall, though, I like Keyes.

right.  there are oodles of substance in everything that he says, instead of a tsunami of
frothing words that don't convey any actual idea, or meaning.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 10:46:57 AM »

right.  there are oodles of substance in everything that he says, instead of a tsunami of

That reminds me, Obama made the stupidist comment over the weekend about how he was more astute then McCain or Hilary on foreign policy. As it was read back from the paper it sounded like a teenager talking. He may sound fancy and blow the girls over on stage, but when you read what he says on paper, he really shows how inexperienced and almost juvenile he is. It would only be embarrassing, but as it is he's applying for the highest office in the land. It's disturbing in that context. sigh

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 11:43:04 AM »

That reminds me, Obama made the stupidist comment over the weekend about how he was more astute then McCain or Hilary on foreign policy. As it was read back from the paper it sounded like a teenager talking. He may sound fancy and blow the girls over on stage, but when you read what he says on paper, he really shows how inexperienced and almost juvenile he is. It would only be embarrassing, but as it is he's applying for the highest office in the land. It's disturbing in that context. sigh

that's very true.  when you read that he says on paper, you often think, "that's pretty damn stupid".  but when you see it live
or on television, it's possible to get carried away.  he is a very effective speaker.  the debates could be difficult to watch;  although they aren't his most effective forum, he has gotten markedly better at them.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 11:52:52 AM »

that's very true.  when you read that he says on paper, you often think, "that's pretty damn stupid".  but when you see it live
or on television, it's possible to get carried away.  he is a very effective speaker.  the debates could be difficult to watch;  although they aren't his most effective forum, he has gotten markedly better at them.

Maybe I'm an odd bird, but I don't get anything from his speaking.  Never have.  All I hear is blah blah bkah change blah blah blah hope.   All bullshit.  I don't get where he's such a great speaker.  Must be the redneck in me, but I prefer a Fred Thompson over a fluff job like Hussein.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 11:59:17 AM »

this is too bad.  I really like alan keyes.  and I really don't want him running as an independent.

I really liked Keyes at the start of the 2000 election run up. Then, he did something that made me lose all respect for him, he went on a ****ing hunger strike like some kind of dipshit lib, because "the media is ignoring me". In short: **** Keyes
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 12:04:15 PM »

Yes, he is very effective as a speaker. That is why he has them dropping like flies. It's a veritable rock concert, but if folks could look at what he's actually saying. My word, there isn't much substance.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »

Maybe I'm an odd bird, but I don't get anything from his speaking.  Never have.  All I hear is blah blah bkah change blah blah blah hope.   All bullshit.  I don't get where he's such a great speaker.  Must be the redneck in me, but I prefer a Fred Thompson over a fluff job like Hussein.

Well, there is a difference between being able to keenly see the issues or willing yourself to see past the flowery talk purposely because you don't like the candidate and saying he is an effective speaker. I too, can see past his oratory abilities to see what he's actually saying and it is really troubling to consider him the leader of the free nation because of it, but fact remains that he is a good orator and he knows how to move people who only see there and there are lots of them. You can't discount that cause it could very well get him elected.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »
This bears repeating here -

From the movie The American President -
Lewis, we've had presidents who were beloved, who couldn't find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

-President Andrew Shepherd