Author Topic: Obama Blames Bush for Economic Downturn in Speech to Autoworkers  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Obama Blames Bush for Economic Downturn in Speech to Autoworkers
« on: February 13, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »

JANESVILLE, Wis. (AP) -- Barack Obama blames President Bush Wednesday for the economic downturn in a speech to General Motors workers in Janesville.

The automakers are among 74,000 GM employees considering a buyout offer.

The Democratic presidential candidate is speaking at the Janesville plant a day after the company reported the largest annual loss ever for an American automaker - nearly $39 billion in 2007.

Obama says it's failed leadership and imagination in Washington that caused economic struggles, including the housing crisis.

Obama is promising to end tax breaks for companies who ship jobs overseas and not to sign trade agreements unless they include protections for the environment and American workers.

He criticizes Bush for giving tax cuts to corporations and the rich while spending billions on the war in Iraq.

Obama also rebukes Democratic rival Hillary Rodham Clinton, and Republican front-runner John McCain for supporting the war.

Story

more from The BarackStar!'s speech in janesville, which is apparently turning into quite a stem winder.

and I think that washington is the last place on earth that I want to see "imagination", for heaven's sake.  I wonder what he thinks is going to happen to autoworkers' jobs when he jacks their employer's corporate tax rates through the freaking roof?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Obama Blames Bush for Economic Downturn in Speech to Autoworkers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:38:35 PM »
He's trying to steal some of Hillary's union voters......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »
Consumer confidence drives a market and sorry, moron, it is you lefties that have been talking down the economy for, like, ever. What the hell did you think would happen when you scare the ever-living hell out of the average consumer?

One other thing, dickhead, YOU are in the f'n Senate. The Senate is part of Congress. Congress is the Legislative Branch of government. Per the U.S. Constitution, YOU are the f'n morons that control the purse strings. Are you promising to do something as President you didn't have the balls to do as a Senator?

This is what it's come down to, folks. If this is the best the Democrats have to offer, and he, OR Hillary, gets elected, this country is fast-tracking it's ass to "Idiocracy". Hey, he's got electrolytes.  :whatever:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 02:44:51 PM »
He's trying to steal some of Hillary's union voters......

doc

other than lip service, I think he pretty much stopped running against hillary last night.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 03:11:07 PM »
Obama is promising to end tax breaks for companies who ship jobs overseas and not to sign trade agreements unless they include protections for the environment and American workers.

So what?  God, these lefty people are stupid.

#1 -- define "ship overseas."  A company needs to open a new factory.  Rather than open one in the US they open it in Thailand/Mexico/wherever. Have "jobs been shipped overseas"?
#2 -- pissing off business through onerous taxes just makes them pull up stakes completely.  If I was a company being extorted on my business practices, I would probably just make it so that the only taxes the US would see are sales taxes.
#3 -- Look at California if you want to see what overtaxing business does.  18 Billion dollar deficit, anyone?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 03:15:44 PM »
So what?  God, these lefty people are stupid.

#1 -- define "ship overseas."  A company needs to open a new factory.  Rather than open one in the US they open it in Thailand/Mexico/wherever. Have "jobs been shipped overseas"?
#2 -- pissing off business through onerous taxes just makes them pull up stakes completely.  If I was a company being extorted on my business practices, I would probably just make it so that the only taxes the US would see are sales taxes.
#3 -- Look at California if you want to see what overtaxing business does.  18 Billion dollar deficit, anyone?

Look at another liberal paradise, Detroit. They have the highest foreclosure rate in the country. Liberals can't run shit, and even when that's given to them, they don't know what to do with it.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:11:45 AM »
remember back in the run up to the 2000 election, when Bush got blamed for "Talking DOWN the economy?"

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »

I didn't know Bush was running again..... :mental:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 10:31:13 AM »

Yep -- going after that 3rd term. 

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 11:11:04 AM »

When you don't have any ideas, solutions, and speak nothing but platitudes and are faced with a REAL problem and people look to you for a way to fix it.... always best to have a scapegoat. Especially if they have an "R" after their name. /Liberal playbook page 5.  :-)

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Lauri

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 03:13:39 PM »
GM and Detroit are in economic free fall because they spend 4 thousand (or near about) of every car made on UNION issues such as pensions and insurance for people they pay NOT to work.

Hilary promised the AWU a govt handout to keep their pensions afloat a year ago when she started campaigning... now, if the govt didnt cause their union problems, the govt sure as hell doesnt need to be helping them fix it.

the union can help themselves.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 09:39:21 AM »
Atta boy, Obamanation--blame those eeeeevil neocons and Bush for unions pricing themselves out of the market.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 09:44:32 AM »
Atta boy, Obamanation--blame those eeeeevil neocons and Bush for unions pricing themselves out of the market.

if he runs in the general like he is running in wisconsin, as a sudden convert to  howard dean style populism, I wonder how many of the moderates that are currently under his spell will wake up.