Author Topic: Tax Problems Surface for Trade Rep. Nominee Kirk  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Tax Problems Surface for Trade Rep. Nominee Kirk
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:20:06 PM »

this is no longer funny.  DO democrats pay their taxes, or are they all tax cheats?

Tax Problems Surface for Trade Rep. Nominee Kirk

Former Dallas mayor Ron Kirk, who is President Obama's nominee to be the U.S. Trade Representative, failed to pay almost $10,000 in taxes during the past three years because of a series of mistakes, the Senate Finance Committee announced today.

Kirk's errors involved honoraria from speeches, on which he should have paid taxes; the cost of sports games, for which he deducted too much; and improper treatment of
accounting fees on his income taxes. Kirk has agreed to file amended returns.

The news about Kirk's mistakes comes as tax-related issues have become a topic of great sensitivity for the administration, following incidents with several high-profiled appointees whose nominations were threatened or derailed because of tax mistakes.

More

Offline thundley4

Re: Tax Problems Surface for Trade Rep. Nominee Kirk
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 04:36:57 PM »
Silly me, I pay my taxes the way the laws say to do it.  I should just stop and wait until I get caught, then just apologize, blame it on mistakes and file amended returns.  Never mind, I'm not a demonrat.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 04:40:59 PM »
Silly me, I pay my taxes the way the laws say to do it.  I should just stop and wait until I get caught, then just apologize, blame it on mistakes and file amended returns.  Never mind, I'm not a demonrat.

or blow it off until you are nominated to a cabinet level post in a democrat administration.  how many dem tax cheats won't be caught because they haven't being nominated for a cushy job?   increased tax revenues through "stricter enforcement of the tax code" has been a plank in the democrat for decades, but I always assumed it was all bullsnit.

now I know better.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Trade nominee Ron Kirk agrees to pay back taxes
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 05:42:04 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090302/ap_on_go_pr_wh/kirk_taxes;_ylt=AhxdFRl8fO5MOy1kGx7wqp.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFpaWs2YTJnBHBvcwMyOARzZWMDYWNjb3JkaW9uX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDdHJhZGVub21pbmVl

WASHINGTON – Ron Kirk, nominated as U.S. Trade Representative in the Obama administration, owes an estimated $10,000 in back taxes from earlier in the decade and has agreed to make his payments, the Senate Finance Committee said Monday.

The committee said the taxes arise from Kirk's handling of speaking fees that he donated to his alma mater, and for his deduction of the full cost of season tickets to the Dallas Mavericks professional basketball team.

The disclosure made the former Dallas mayor the latest in a string of top-level Obama administration appointees found to have underpaid their taxes, following Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner and Tom Daschle, who withdrew as candidate for Health and Human Services secretary. Nancy Killefer, Obama's pick for chief performance officer, also bowed out amid tax problems.

White House spokesman Ben LaBolt said Kirk was working to clear up "a few minor issues" uncovered by the committee and expressed confidence he would be confirmed.

Despite the error, Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, issued a statement calling Kirk "the right person for this job," and said he would attempt to have the nomination moved through the panel quickly.

Kirk routinely gave any speaking fees he earned to Austin College, the committee said, and did not list them on his tax returns.

Instead, the committee said he should have listed the fees as income, then claimed them as charitable donations. The estimated effect was to reduce Kirk's tax bill by an estimated $5,800, according to the report.

Kirk also deducted more than $17,000 as entertainment expenses for the cost of Mavericks' tickets. The committee said he substantiated about $9,900 of that amount, and will owe about $2,600 in taxes on the balance.

The committee said that last fall, Kirk amended his income tax return for 2006, paying an additional $2,188 in tax and $139 in interest after a notification from the Internal Revenue Service. The return was filed by a paid tax preparer, the panel added.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 05:43:27 PM »
IIRC, that's four out of how many?  what's the percentage?  the total amount in arrears?

Should we be surprised when it comes out that 0 didn't pay taxes on, I don't know, a house or apartment someone let him live in for free?  :fuelfire:

Offline djones520

Re: Trade nominee Ron Kirk agrees to pay back taxes
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 05:43:31 PM »
Oh thats so nice of him.  Agreeing to follow the law.   :whatever:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 05:45:49 PM »
Jesus wept. They ought to release a breaking news story when one of barry's buddies DOESN'T have a tax problem.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 05:58:21 PM »
Please lock this if it can`t be removed.

It was already posted....  http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,23214.0.html

and I missed it.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 06:00:58 PM »
Please lock this if it can`t be removed.

It was already posted....  http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,23214.0.html

and I missed it.

merged. :wink:

Offline Ogre

• What Cat?
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 06:42:02 PM »
WTF, has the Messiah's handlers ever heard of vetting a nominee prior to anouncing the nomination?  This admin is going to make Carter's reign of error look good.
"Don't argue about difficulties. The difficulties will argue for themselves."  - Winston Churchill

"Get some lumber, build a bridge, and get the hell over it" - Unknown

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 09:09:35 AM »
WTF, has the Messiah's handlers ever heard of vetting a nominee prior to anouncing the nomination?  This admin is going to make Carter's reign of error look good.

there is always the possibility that they believe that they are above the common folk for whom taxes are a part of life.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 09:26:39 AM »
Remember how they trashed Joe Wurzelbacher over his taxes? Hypocrisy. Thy name is Democrat.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site