Author Topic: Byrd criticizes Senate leader over media report (Byrd being eased out?)  (Read 868 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

hmmmm.  I am not especially sanguine about whoever reid would put in charge of appropriations instead of robert byrd, who, let's all admit up front, is infirm.  but the infighting is interesting.     

Byrd criticizes Senate leader over media report

WASHINGTON (AP) — Sen. Robert Byrd, the elderly and embattled Democratic chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee, criticized Majority Leader Harry Reid Tuesday over a news account that said Reid is plotting to oust him from his cherished post.

The inside-Washington newspaper Politico, citing anonymous sources, reported Tuesday that Reid, D-Nev., is planning to ease Byrd, the longest-serving senator in history, from the helm of the powerful Appropriations panel and would award the chairmanship to the next most senior Democrat, Daniel Inouye of Hawaii.

That provoked an unusually direct retort from Byrd, D-W.Va., who mentored Reid when the Nevada Democrat came to the Senate more than two decades ago. According to the Politico account, Reid has discussed the scenario with his advisers and with Inouye.

"I am disappointed that, according to press accounts, the Majority Leader is talking to others about the chairmanship of the Senate Appropriations Committee," Byrd said in a statement released by his office. "This is the sort of Washington back-room gossip which ill serves the Democratic Party in a year when Democratic unity should be paramount."

Last year, Reid had strongly defended Byrd, 90, after doubts about his capacity to lead the committee resulted in a spate of stories by Capitol Hill publications like Roll Call — also fueled by anonymous quotes from senators and their aides — speculating that he might be eased out.

More

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Byrd criticizes Senate leader over media report (Byrd being eased out?)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 01:12:21 AM »
The dems finally see their demise.  Their only hope is a new candidate for hope and change:

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:16:10 AM »
Well now, something's odd here.

If Harry thinks Bob's too old, and wants to replace him with Dan, think about something.

Robert Byrd came to the U.S. Senate in 1959.

Daniel Inouye came to the U.S. Senate in 1962.

That's not much of a difference.

I think Harry's letting something go to his head, and that there's some rude surprises in store for Harry, as there always are for those who count their chickens before even the eggs pop out, much less hatch.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:37:40 AM »
Don't you love it when they fight each other?
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"